Furnished rentals in Sydney's Inner West

Hi there!

I'm a newbie!! :smile:

My husband, baby and I will be moving to Sydney in 2 weeks and staying in an appartment for the first 4 weeks provided by my husbands company, after which we'll then be looking for our own rental place. I've looked at Domain but struggle to find houses/apartments that come fully furnished, which are to a decent taste! Ideally we'll want a 3 bed, 2 bathroom in a nice area, near water or with water views! max budget approx $650 per week.

Any suggestions??

Amy

Rentals here are very rarely furnished, you usually have to provide everything (except a cooker and the kitchen sink!). The few furnished places that are available are more aimed at the short term rental market and unlikely to come in under $650/wk for a 3 bed

You would be better off finding one unfurnished in a location you're happy with then getting cheap furniture (second hand or from Ikea/Fantastic Furniture) to start you off.

You should be able to get a 6 month lease then extend it until you leave, when I say short term rentals I mean leases of 3 months max.

You may be able to rent some things, Radio Rentals is one name I've seen around. For a 9 month adventure i'd probably suggest going for local garage sales for furniture then having a garage sale to resell the bits on when you leave.

• 1 year later...
Guest Shilpa

Hi,

Were yo able to find out any furnished rentals in Sydney?

I too am looking for the same. I would prefer to rent a furnished home for 3 months somewhere in the suburbs. We are OK to spare 1 hr commute to city to work everyday. This is because we are planning to buy a house in 3 months time and we dont want to rent anything more than for 3 months.

Please let me know f anyone knows the best agents/ websites to find furnished short term rentals. We have a budget not exceeding 500$ p.w..

Thanks a lot!

Guest Shilpa

Hi Jeremyhayes,

I never said I want to rent a 3 bed, 2 bath..

I am Perfectly O.K to rent a 2 bedroom, 1 bath..

P.S: We have found couple of them in Penrith.

At $500 fully furnished a week you're likely to be looking a long way out of Sydney (i.e. Penrith as you've suggested in your next post). If you're planning on buying quickly I'd definitely still rent in the area you're planning on buying in to get to know the neighbourhood.

Guest Shilpa

Thanks, Spottydog..

Apparently, we are looking out to rent a fully furnished apartment for 3 months untill we are ready to move into our new house in Glenfield. We did search a lot in and around Glenfield area to rent fully furnished house/apt, but dissapointed.

Just to make sure we are searching the right way, i posted for feedbacks in this forum. We used sites like homeaway, realestate with furnished option ticked, stayz...But, mostly, fully furnished houses are in city and quite costly, exceeds our budget far too much. Since, we dont mind travelling to work in city, if we can get something more than a studio away from city, we are glad..We have a 2 year old and want to offer him some space, even its for 3 months..Hence!

I guess by buying in Glenfield you know the area well so are just looking for a stop gap which Penrith will be fine for you. Being one of the poorer areas of town (with a rougher reputation) I'm not that surprised there aren't many furnished rentals in the Macquarie Fields area but I'm surprised there is nothing in Campbelltown.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Rather than start a new thread, I though I'd post in this thread first for some advice.

I am a GP, moving to Sydney in the new year. I have a 3yr job post in Campbelltown, just outside of Sydney, but would like to live in Sydney with wife and 3yr old. The plan is to arrive a month early, before I'm due to start work.

Where can I look to rent a furnished apartment/studio for a month or so. I've tried Domain but can't find the options for short-term rental. We would like to have the first month to look around Western Sydney, Inner West region before deciding on a place to rent for the 3yrs.

Many thanks!

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi all,

Rather than start a new thread, I though I'd post in this thread first for some advice.

I am a GP, moving to Sydney in the new year. I have a 3yr job post in Campbelltown, just outside of Sydney, but would like to live in Sydney with wife and 3yr old. The plan is to arrive a month early, before I'm due to start work.

Where can I look to rent a furnished apartment/studio for a month or so. I've tried Domain but can't find the options for short-term rental. We would like to have the first month to look around Western Sydney, Inner West region before deciding on a place to rent for the 3yrs.

Many thanks!

Welcome to the forum. Have you tried Stayz?

Hello once again,

Stayz has helped provide a good solution for temporary accommodation when we first arrive next year.

The bigger question is deciding where to live!!

As I mentioned earlier, I will be working in Campbelltown but wish to live in main Sydney. Ideally would like to live within a 40minute commute to/from work. What are the good regions/areas to look at for possible rentals.

As a young family we would need to be near a good pre-school/schools, shopping and leisure facilities and family-orientated areas/communities. Also it would be nice to be near places for ethnic shopping - ie indian shops/groceries etc.

I would welcome all suggestions as we remain quite confused on this rather big undertaking!

Thanks for your help and advice in advance!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just looked at stayz. seems promising although we will be on a very tight budget for the first few weeks :-S. Any other suggestions most welcome

680 results found in surrounding suburbs

• Sydney

Price $410 Property type Apartment/Unit Bedrooms 1 Bathrooms 1 Car spaces –
    • 6030434_1_TE.JPG?mod=111016-110000
    • 6030434_2_TE.JPG?mod=101218-110105

8 Dixon Street SYDNEY

ABSOLUTE BARGAIN STUDIO PENTHOUSE!!! Available NOW

AS NEW Fully Furnished Penthouse Studio Apartment, Security building, balcony with South East aspect. Excellent and quiet location, a short walk to Darling Harbour, China Town, warld sq...

Viewable for this property:

Matches my preferences (5 stars)

Preferences matched

[*]1

Hi there!

I'm a newbie!! :smile:

My husband, baby and I will be moving to Sydney in 2 weeks and staying in an appartment for the first 4 weeks provided by my husbands company, after which we'll then be looking for our own rental place. I've looked at Domain but struggle to find houses/apartments that come fully furnished, which are to a decent taste! Ideally we'll want a 3 bed, 2 bathroom in a nice area, near water or with water views! max budget approx $650 per week.

Any suggestions??

Amy

I had a look for furnished properties in your price range and they are very difficult to find. If you are willing to pay more there are plenty around the City. I found a couple in Parramatta for circa $600 per week, two bedroom appartments.

I did a search around Leichhardt which is pretty central to the Inner West, and again, very little furnished.

Most searches on Domain come up with a couple of furnished, then they are all unfurnished.

So, either pay more, or buy some cheap furniture - Fantastic Furniture? I have had that recommended to me too. Or go to the charity shops - some of whom operate big furniture departments - there's a Salvo (or Vinnies) at Tempe on the Princes Highway.

Or do a sweep around the garage sales, people who are moving overseas at short notice and want to get rid of their stuff quickly. I remember my Dad furnished a house we had at Narrabeen like that buying a heap of stuff from a bloke in Avalon who was going O/S.

You could buy a sofa bed rather than a sofa AND a bed. I 'camped' in my unit for a while, sleeping on an air bed and using camping chairs.

Archived