Size Matters

Tomdickanarry

Hi all

Going to be moving to Melbourne in a few short months. I have never been to Australia before and I can only picture all the women looking like they came out of Baywatch or something similar!

Can you advise if there are a good selection of business/casual clothes in real size women's range? Here in the UK it's a bit of a struggle finding good quality (not too expensive) fuller figured clothes.

Look forward to hearing from you! Thanks

Hi all

Going to be moving to Melbourne in a few short months. I have never been to Australia before and I can only picture all the women looking like they came out of Baywatch or something similar!

Can you advise if there are a good selection of business/casual clothes in real size women's range? Here in the UK it's a bit of a struggle finding good quality (not too expensive) fuller figured clothes.

Look forward to hearing from you! Thanks

As an Australian I will beat all the brit posters to it and say:

- Australians are fatter than british - though not the fattest in the world - urban myth :)

- Finding good quality cheap clothing full stop is harder than the uk.

Did I get it right all? :biggrin:

But seriously. If there is anywhere you will find a good variety of clothing in Australia it will be Melbourne.

Brilliant Fish. Thanks very much for your response. I suspect most of the difference will be in colours as most of my business clothes closet is filled with black jackets, pants, skirts...blah blah blah. I can't wait to wear something that has a bit of colour again and not stick out like a sore thumb. I saw that there was a fantastic looking mall, Doncaster and have already scoped out some of the shops but none of the names are the same as here so it's a bit more difficult to dicepher whether it is for fashionable business clothes or for young, "hip" girls.

anyway....any advice is much appreciated as I plan on burning up the credit card when I get there! Just keep an eye on the retail figures for the next few months and I bet you see a rise in Melbourne!

Thanks!

As an Australian I will beat all the brit posters to it and say:

- Australians are fatter than british - though not the fattest in the world - urban myth :)

- Finding good quality cheap clothing full stop is harder than the uk.

Did I get it right all? :biggrin:

But seriously. If there is anywhere you will find a good variety of clothing in Australia it will be Melbourne.

Surezzzhell did!:biggrin:

Brilliant Fish. Thanks very much for your response. I suspect most of the difference will be in colours as most of my business clothes closet is filled with black jackets, pants, skirts...blah blah blah. I can't wait to wear something that has a bit of colour again and not stick out like a sore thumb. I saw that there was a fantastic looking mall, Doncaster and have already scoped out some of the shops but none of the names are the same as here so it's a bit more difficult to dicepher whether it is for fashionable business clothes or for young, "hip" girls.

anyway....any advice is much appreciated as I plan on burning up the credit card when I get there! Just keep an eye on the retail figures for the next few months and I bet you see a rise in Melbourne!

Thanks!

Don't get too excited Melbourne, being a colder city than most others in Australia, is known as the blackest of Australian cities when it comes to clothes. The residents are proud of their blacks and browns and consider themselves more European because of it (amongst other things). Due to its relatively colder winter it also caters well to indoor pursuits like eating, shopping, pubbing etc much like the UK (not suggesting it is as cold as uk). Generalising of course but hopefully Melburnians will correct me if I have got this wrong...

Thinner, crappier and more colourful clothing comes out more the further north you travel in Australia.

Archived