Where to live?

Emma2

Hi everyone

I have been looking at moving to somewhere south of Brisbane (Bayside, Ormeau, Jacobs Well etc) but my oh has just been given details of jobs in Redcliffe, Narangba and Strathpine. I'm not really sure what these areas are like? We have three kids 13, 11, and 4. I'd like to be near to decent private schools (can't seem to find many in this area) and safe beaches (no jellyfish or sharks! lol). Any help on these areas would be appreciated or do you think we should hold out for a job south of Brisbane if this is a better area?

Emma x

:wink:

Hiya

You could come across a jelly fish or shark on any beach,, Chances of a shark encounter are rare but jelly fish can be pretty common certain months of the year or after storms. I wouldnt worry too much,you can see them - most of the time,,lol

I am pretty sure Itcouldbeworse (Kev) lives up that way so he would be more apt to give you the rundown. I will say though Redcliffe is a lovely place and you wouldnt go wrong settling there especially if work for hubby is there.

Good Luck you have some nice areas to choose from, its going to be tough,,lol

Cal x

Hi everyone

I have been looking at moving to somewhere south of Brisbane (Bayside, Ormeau, Jacobs Well etc) but my oh has just been given details of jobs in Redcliffe, Narangba and Strathpine. I'm not really sure what these areas are like? We have three kids 13, 11, and 4. I'd like to be near to decent private schools (can't seem to find many in this area) and safe beaches (no jellyfish or sharks! lol). Any help on these areas would be appreciated or do you think we should hold out for a job south of Brisbane if this is a better area?

Emma x

:wink:

NOOOOOO you can't go up north!! You me and Tina were going to be besties :laugh:

People say Redcliffe is nice. I think it used to have a reputation for being a bit of a retirement place, but I think there are more young families there these days.

It really is very confusing when you first start out looking at places.

Love

Rudi

x

Guest Lamorna

Redcliffe, Deagon, Bracken Ridge, brighton areas are all OK and good for families. You'll find areas near North Lakes (Mango Hills) have new sub-divisions as does Narangba.

As for decent beaches you'll need to head either to Bribie Island or along the Sunshine coast (Mooloolaba, Maroochydore, Caloundra, etc)

Hi Rudi

That's what I thought! I don't think I really want to go North, it would be such a long way to meet up for coffee! I think that I'm going to get onto the agent and ask them to look for jobs South of Brisbane, at least we'll have the choice then. She seemed to be trying to put my husband off of heading south - she told him the Sunshine Coast was much nicer than the Gold Coast which she said was like Blackpool! She also said that lots of families that they had sent out had settled around Redcliffe and loved it. It is all very confusing!

Emma x

Hi Cal

When you say that there are jellyfish most places are they the deadly ones or just ones that give you a nasty sting?! I am a little bit scared! lol!! And sharks, I definately don't want to meet one of them!!

Emma x

Emma - i am originally from London and have just finished my 15th year as a volunteer surf lifesaver on one of the Gold Coasts busiest beaches and i can honestly say i have only seen a couple of sharks in that time and neither amounted to anything. You have more chance of being run over on a London street than encounter a shark. I have seen all sorts of fish, rays and dophins but if you swim at netted beaches the odds are very much stacked in your favour ! As for jelly fish the main stinger you have to look out for down in SE QLD is the blue bottle. (The real killers are up further north) It s a long tentacle attached to an air sac - at times you will see heaps washed up on the beaches, and if that touches you and attaches itself to you the result can be anywahere from mildly irritating to blankety blank painful and in very rare cases life threatening if you are very young , elderly or have a pre existing condition like asthma or a heart condition that is made worse by the sting. Again in 15 years i have been stung only twice and it was annoying rather than deadly. Be observant and follow the directions of lifeguards or surf lifesavers and you will be fine. I think both Poms that have moved here and aussies like teasing new arrivals or those back home with stories of the wild and dangerous animals that are here. I think its called Bravado by association - I must be tough and wild life ranger like becasue i moved here thoughts :wink: Get the kids along to Nippers if you are near to a beach with a surf club - you can join too ! best move i ever did was joining a surf club.

Enjoy your new home and dont be paranoid - the sharks and stingers are not out to get you :)

Emma - i am originally from London and have just finished my 15th year as a volunteer surf lifesaver on one of the Gold Coasts busiest beaches and i can honestly say i have only seen a couple of sharks in that time and neither amounted to anything. You have more chance of being run over on a London street than encounter a shark. I have seen all sorts of fish, rays and dophins but if you swim at netted beaches the odds are very much stacked in your favour ! As for jelly fish the main stinger you have to look out for down in SE QLD is the blue bottle. (The real killers are up further north) It s a long tentacle attached to an air sac - at times you will see heaps washed up on the beaches, and if that touches you and attaches itself to you the result can be anywahere from mildly irritating to blankety blank painful and in very rare cases life threatening if you are very young , elderly or have a pre existing condition like asthma or a heart condition that is made worse by the sting. Again in 15 years i have been stung only twice and it was annoying rather than deadly. Be observant and follow the directions of lifeguards or surf lifesavers and you will be fine. I think both Poms that have moved here and aussies like teasing new arrivals or those back home with stories of the wild and dangerous animals that are here. I think its called Bravado by association - I must be tough and wild life ranger like becasue i moved here thoughts :wink: Get the kids along to Nippers if you are near to a beach with a surf club - you can join too ! best move i ever did was joining a surf club.

Enjoy your new home and dont be paranoid - the sharks and stingers are not out to get you :)

Thank you for the reassurance, it is easy to get a bit paranoid! I don't mind a nasty sting (although Id rather not get one) but I don't really want to go in the water near to anything that's going to kill me! I'll definately be avoiding those box jellyfish in the North!!

What is the Gold Coast by the way? Is it like Blackpool? (This is what I've heard!)

Emma x

Most people who dont have personal experience of the GC compare it to Blackppol as the only places they have visited are the normal touristy areas such as surfers paradise. If you explore beyond the centre the GC is like a different world,, it as everything from beachside apartments to acerage in the hinterland,, its surprising where a 10 min drive inland takes you.

Robina and its surronds are booming areas and is a million miles from any resemblance of Blackpool, Collangatta, Kirra , Currumbin all gorgeous areas with next to no tourists in site.

The best way to see is explore, travel the length of the coast and you will see what a difference a few KMs makes.

Cal x

Thank you for the reassurance, it is easy to get a bit paranoid! I don't mind a nasty sting (although Id rather not get one) but I don't really want to go in the water near to anything that's going to kill me! I'll definately be avoiding those box jellyfish in the North!!

What is the Gold Coast by the way? Is it like Blackpool? (This is what I've heard!)

Emma x

Hi Emma

We live in Ormeau, it certainly isn't like Blackpool!!!! I think if you go nearer to surfers it can be, I've driven through and wouldn't like to live there (we have a 7 year old) Ormeau is only 20 mins to the beach anyway, but is mainly residential. I've driven to Strathpine in rush hour and it took about an hour (clem tunnel wasn't finished then). I've been told that there are more jobs down here (don't know for sure as not looking for one) and that Sunshine coast is more for retired, although we have young friends in Noosa who have been there for over 2 years and love it (it's apparently very pretty)

Good luck with making your decision, I know it's difficult unless you are here and get a 'feel' for a place.

Steph

xx

Guest bcfrug

Guys having visited the Gold Coast on many occasions and having visited Blackpool on many occasions there is no comparison whatsoever.

They are completely different. The gold coast is gorgeous with fantastic people and beaches. Great restaraunts and night life where as blackpool is as it sounds. Tacky and an old seaside town.

There is plenty of work around the gold coast and plenty of choice for starting up a new life. 15 Mins away and your secluded in a small family area or else you can be in the thick of it right on the waterfront. Whatever peoples views are blackpool wouldnt even be as close as 10% alike the gold coast and thats coming from a complete outsider to both. Personally for a family life i would certainly look at the goldcoast outskirts if anywhere or else the sunshine coast. Sunshine coast is far more laid back and quiet and relaxed but not the volume of jobs available but things may have changed in the last year. Hope this helps and hope not to have offended anyone from Blackpool :)

Thanks Cal, Steph and bcfrug!

It's nice to hear such positive things about the Gold Coast. I have looked at it a lot (all be it in pictures books etc) and thought that it looked gorgeous and had everything that you could want near by. The agent has told us that there is a job in Helensvale. Does anyone know what nice family areas are nearby (within 20-30mins max) where you could get a property with acerage and still be reasonably close to the coast? (Kids are 13, 11 and 4 years).

Thanks

Emma x:rolleyes:

Guest bcfrug

Hi Emma,

My Cousin lives in Helensvale with his wife and new born. Its a fab place. Lots of nice areas with a real family feel to the place. Not too pricey either.

He used to live in Robina which is another fab place worth looking at but he seems to think Helensvale is the place for him and his family. He is Irish and over there 15 Yrs or so.

What i seen in Robina, lots of gated communities (20 houses) with an open area where there is pool and small gym and bbq area avail for the 20 houses. I loved his old house when i visited last.

Hope this helps

It's nice to hear such positive things about the Gold Coast. I have looked at it a lot (all be it in pictures books etc) and thought that it looked gorgeous and had everything that you could want near by. The agent has told us that there is a job in Helensvale. Does anyone know what nice family areas are nearby (within 20-30mins max) where you could get a property with acerage and still be reasonably close to the coast? (Kids are 13, 11 and 4 years).

Thanks

Hi Emma,

Not sure about acerage, we are renting, but Helensvale is about 15 minutes further south than us. I think to get acreage you need to move further inland...not sure where though, we are not looking towards buying for a few years yet (waiting for the property crash over here first) Ormeau is really nice, but way over priced!!!!

Steph

xxxx:cute:

Thanks

Hi Emma if you want acerage look inland a few minutes places like Guanaba , wongawallen, the back side of Nerang, Mt Nathan, Maudsland all these areas have acerage plots that arent to expenisve and they would all be within 20/30 mins of Helensvale.

Just remember when renting , most of the time you are responsible for garden maintance , acerage takes alot of maintance and would mean you have to go a buy a ride on mower, whipper snipper etc as soon as you arrive. Personally i think it may be better to look at renting for 6 mths in a smaller property until you are more settled and have found your feet and then consider acerage.

Good Luck choosing an area is hard.

Cal x

dont think there will be a property crash over here as such - they said that a few years back just before the gfc and ok at million dollar homes there was an adjustment but in places like robina you were unlucky if your house dropped 5% and they are back at the same level if not higher now. All suburbs have their big areas and nice houses and thier less desriable areas. There hasnt been the price drop like in the USA because i dont think the market here had as big a reliance on sub prime lending . Not sure the casue int he UK ?

Even at Nerang that lots of people bag there are multi million dollar homes tucked away in some very nice streets. Helensvale is a nice area but doesnt entice me to live there but Robina does - its probably all down to personal preferences

Thanks for all the info.

I think where we eventually live will depend on work and schools but it's nice to know that there are plenty of options. We will be renting to start off with and I was thinking that it might be a good idea not to have too much land when we rent like you said Cal. Also, I think that the kids would prefer to be nearer to other houses to start off so they don't feel too isolated. Thanks again everyone.

Emma x

Archived