457 Insuance Cover

Kerrygal

Hi Everyone

We have just been asked to get Health and Medical insurance for our 457 visa application.

Is there anyone in the same boat and if yes which company did ye go with and will it be ok with an interim cert for the DIAC.

I have researched all the information and I am already paying health insurance here so don't want to be paying for another policy in Australia untill we get there.

Thanks a million

Hi Everyone

We have just been asked to get Health and Medical insurance for our 457 visa application.

Is there anyone in the same boat and if yes which company did ye go with and will it be ok with an interim cert for the DIAC.

I have researched all the information and I am already paying health insurance here so don't want to be paying for another policy in Australia untill we get there.

Thanks a million

Austhealth bridgin insurance 50 bucks when you get here ambo cover as you get the medicare reciprocal agreement which means hospital treatment free

Austhealth bridgin insurance 50 bucks when you get here ambo cover as you get the medicare reciprocal agreement which means hospital treatment free

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have read that the reciprocal agreement is not the same in Ireland as the UK with regards cover in OZ

I am so confused.....

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have read that the reciprocal agreement is not the same in Ireland as the UK with regards cover in OZ

I am so confused.....

Hi, we're in the same boat (but in UK) and have spent the weekend sorting it out. Ended up going with the Aus equivalent of BUPA (HBA). Lots of packages to choose from and reasonable prices. Plus you can take out for as little as a month or as much as a year and the minimum cover meets the DIAC requirements. Good website (although we had to provide an Aus address for the correspondance - we used OH's new employer's address with their consent). Good luck, Lou.

Guest sharpie76

Hi im going through the visa process with an agent all i included for the health insurance was a copy of my Natwest gold travel insurance with helath insurance covered in the documentation just scanned it and sent it off, i was told this would suffice so not had to spent money on health insurance until we get out to Auz. hope this helps people who may be in same situation

Regards

Nicki

Hi, we're in the same boat (but in UK) and have spent the weekend sorting it out. Ended up going with the Aus equivalent of BUPA (HBA). Lots of packages to choose from and reasonable prices. Plus you can take out for as little as a month or as much as a year and the minimum cover meets the DIAC requirements. Good website (although we had to provide an Aus address for the correspondance - we used OH's new employer's address with their consent). Good luck, Lou.

Cheers for that Lou...Will check it out

Hubby has job to go to and the sponsor want him over straight away just wondering is there any way he can go to OZ in the mean time?

As far as I am aware 457's can be granted in less than 4 weeks provided everything is in order document-wise and that both parties have all documents to hand when the visa application is lodged. I'm not sure if you'd get it approved much quicker than this - we were asked for our docs to be scanned and e-mailed to agent (supplied by employer) on Friday and we did this on Sunday (adding that we'd applied for health ins and wud send confiemation when we have it) - e-mail from agent this mnin to say all doc's rec'd and ready to lodge. Seems to be moving quickly. Is there any way your existing health insurance could be extended to cover you worldwide, albeit temporarily?

Guest sharpie76

not quite sure if your with bupa and explain the situation i know they can include another destination ie auz. nicki

not quite sure if your with bupa and explain the situation i know they can include another destination ie auz. nicki

No Ncki We are with VHI and when I reqested a quote is was very expensive.

I still don't know what to do and this is making me mad as it is wasting time..

As far as I am aware 457's can be granted in less than 4 weeks provided everything is in order document-wise and that both parties have all documents to hand when the visa application is lodged. I'm not sure if you'd get it approved much quicker than this - we were asked for our docs to be scanned and e-mailed to agent (supplied by employer) on Friday and we did this on Sunday (adding that we'd applied for health ins and wud send confiemation when we have it) - e-mail from agent this mnin to say all doc's rec'd and ready to lodge. Seems to be moving quickly. Is there any way your existing health insurance could be extended to cover you worldwide, albeit temporarily?

We have an agent and sponsor is very impressed withher and she has been getting documents bit by bit off us as this is the way she does it...

No have inquired from esisting health insurance and it won't do I just need to know which one to get ...

but good luck to you guys I know we will get their eventually but all this waiting is driving us insane

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The McT's
Hi Everyone

Thanks a million

Hi Kerrygal,

we've been here for 2 years (first on 457 then PR 6months in, sponsored by employer) to the best of my memory I found it impossible to get a quote for health ins as a temp resident.

My OH found out that the small print on the employers side of the visa meant that they were responsible for our health cover,(how accurate this is I dont know, but they paid our health cover premiums - basic ambo&hosp- until we got PR)

The medicare 'reciprocal' cover for us as UK citizens was by no means comprehensive. We ended up with a co called IMAN which was taken over by AHM who we're still with as perm residents. We had to change policies when we became PR.

The medicare set up is not like the NHS - you pay up front for all consultations & get a rebate from medicare for some of the cost (some GP's will ''bulk-bill'' for kids so you don't pay anything). You pay over the counter price for all prescrptions etc. with no rebate.

When my OH broke his ankle last year we had to pay to hire crutches & buy all the ortho-boots etc. About $2500 all up (with health ins for the surgery!)

In an emergency you will be treated immediately in the public system but for anything else its the same waiting game as the UK but with costs involved at various stages.

I don't want to alarm you because its all managable once you get your head around it but things work differently out here and it takes time to find your way around the system. I'd definately recommend basic hosp&ambo though.

Good luck

Archived