When to start school ??

Guest mansfiea

Guest mansfiea

Hi there,

i wonder if someone can help.

Im getting a bit baffled about when children start school in Oz. Ive read so much info, that ive managed to confuse myself, so thought Id see if someone would mind explaining it in " simple terms "

My eldest child is 2, born April 2005. I know that he will start "prep" in 2010, is this like our reception.

Will he go to a preschool before then, like he would here, is this government funded like here, or do you pay.

Hope someone can help.

Ang

Guest brucestobrisbane

Hi

I don't know if this will help, but my 4yr old is coming with us and I have been talking to my sister-in-law about schools etc (she is already over there and has been for 20 years).

Apparently my son (5 in Jan) could go to kindergarten when we get there, but i would have to pay for this (although I think that there can be help with this if you are working etc ... Centrepoint can help).

Apart from that, he will start pre-school next Jan when he will be 5. This is kind of like our reception classes at infant school. They are basically starting school. But, from what she says, not all schools have a pre-school year, and the school we are going to be using has only had theirs going for a year. You will need to check with the school you intend to use (when you know) whether or not they have one.

From the age of 6 they start proper school. In our case this will be at the same school so again just like ours, only 6 months later than it would be over here (due to school year being Jan-Dec).

I can't promise to be anymore help, but if you get stuck and want more information, just contact me and I will email my sil and ask for you if you like.

Hope this waffle is of some use to you.

Good luck

Nicky.x

Guest thepriceclan

Hi, I have looked into this myself. My son is 6 and in year 1 here in the uk. He goes into Year 2 in September in the UK. When we move to Oz he will go into Year 2 the following February, so 5 months later. My little girl who is 3 and goes to state nursery here will go to kindy there in the February. I have found somewhere a chart that you put in the childs date of birth and it tells you when they start school and which year. If I find it I will attatch it to another post

Sarah.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mandyandbarry

Hi Ang

We landed in Melbourne when my son was 4. He should have started school in Sept in the UK but had to wait until Feb here. Until then he went to 4 year old Kinder. It turns out that this is about the level of reception , work wise!

He started Prep in Feb 2006 just before his 5th birthday. He loved it. But not having done a full year of Kinder he found it all a bit of a struggle. I spoke to his class teacher and fortunately she had taught briefly in the Uk aswell. She told me that the level of work in Prep was more like that in Year 1 in he UK and so he was in effect working with kids that were nearly 12 months ahead of him. He was also one of the youngest in his class. At the end of last year we decided to have him repeat prep this year. Best thing we have done. Not the stigma attached to it over here. Many Australians hold off starting their kids at school until the year they turn 6. So he is one of oldest but lots of his class mates have already turned 6 this year. He is full of confidence and really enjoynig it.

Hope this has helped.

Mandy x

Guest Cazhatz

:v_SPIN:That's really useful to know, as my daughter turns 6 before we get to Sydney, and my son is 2. If you find the details, could you let me have them too? We should get to Sydney in August and was hoping my daughter could start school in Sept?

:v_SPIN:That's really useful to know, as my daughter turns 6 before we get to Sydney, and my son is 2. If you find the details, could you let me have them too? We should get to Sydney in August and was hoping my daughter could start school in Sept?

Hi

Just click on my link and it takes you straight to it

min x:wubclub:

Guest mandyandbarry

Just a quick mention that the school starting age depends on what state you are moving to. Up to this year Queensland didn't have compulsory Prep! and I'm not sure , but I think it still isn't available in all schools. You will need to check each state out individually.

Sorry to complicate matters, but it is something that you need to be aware of.

Good Luck

Mandy x

Just a quick mention that the school starting age depends on what state you are moving to. Up to this year Queensland didn't have compulsory Prep! and I'm not sure , but I think it still isn't available in all schools. You will need to check each state out individually.

Sorry to complicate matters, but it is something that you need to be aware of.

Good Luck

Mandy x

Mandy, If you click on the link there is a area to the left of the page which is another link to 'COMPARATIVE AGE IN AUSTRALIA'... it tells you all about the other states schooling ages as well!!....

min x :wubclub:

Guest mandyandbarry

Hi Min

Thanks for that. I don't know whether you have seen any of my previous posts, but Barry and I are thinking of moving up to Queensland from Melbourne when I am successfull in getting a job up there. It is another positive that our daughter will be able to start school in 2009 up there instead of 2010 in Victoria! I have just found that out from the comparitive table you mentioned on the link that you posted. So thanks for that. I have looked at that many websites and info online over the last 5 years that I have gone blind to a lot of it!!! Anyway, good luck with the move, it is the best thing ever.

Mandy x

In NSW the child must have turned 5 by 31 July in the year they start school. eg enter Kindergarten January 2007, first year of school in NSW, must be 5 by 31 July 2007. Depending on when your child turned 6, they could be placed in Year1. Has yor child been to school in England? If so which year is she in?

Archived