Buying a used car... HELP!

daniel

G'day all!

Not been on for a while although have popped in for a read from time to time. Not quite sure where to put this but cars are transport so here goes;

We're flying from Geelong to Sydney on Saturday to collect a camper we are buying (privately) and driving home over a few days which is all very exciting but what I need to know is who do I pay stamp duty to, NSW or VIC? :confused: Plus, is there anything else I should be aware of when buying in a different state to which we live??? Have looked on the net but can't find anything:wacko:

Thanks for any help you can give

Emma

P.s. We're still loving it here!!!:jiggy:

Guest Guest31881

not 100% sure, but I think you pay the stamp duty to the state you register the car in, so in your case it will be Victoria, obtain a set of victoria number plates and you have to send the NSW number plates back to NSW to show the vehicle is no longer registered there.

Guest John Sydney

First you must do a REV's Check cost is about $20 this will tell you if there is money owing on the camper -do not pay for it unless it clear title - you need the rego number and vin for this can be done by phone or internet I think

Go to NSW RTA site it has a list of items to check buying a second hand car

As you are living in Victoria you will have to change the rego once you get back to Victoria you have 3 months to do this ( you don't have to pay nsw anything )

Also you need to arrange insurance Accident /fire /thief or Comprehensive insurance you can ring your insurance company and get a cover note good for 30 days they will need the Rego number and the vin number

hope this helps

Guest John Sydney

Once you get the camper back to Vic you need to get inspected - "A road worthy " if it passes just fill in the paperwork pay your money Vic plates are hand to you

If the NSW rego has more than 3 months to run before it expires then send the plates back or hand them in Victoria get a receipt and ask for a refund from the NSW RTA

Guest iselinger

I bought in Queensland and live in NSW. I had to have a full inspection (blue slip?) not just the annual green slip (= MOT) in order to get my Rego. You may find you have to do the same thing in Victoria. Mine was a classic car and they made a bit of a fuss about where the Chassis number was stamped but hopefully you wont have this problem, I paid stamp duty to NSW.

Guest chris955

One thing I will say is that property insurance isn't actually compulsory amazingly enough but of course well worth having, drivers of old wrecks tend not to bother and if you are hit by one you would have to fight with them for repairs.

Also you need to arrange insurance Accident /fire /thief or Comprehensive insurance you can ring your insurance company and get a cover note good for 30 days they will need the Rego number and the vin number

hope this helps

Guest iselinger
One thing I will say is that property insurance isn't actually compulsory amazingly enough but of course well worth having, drivers of old wrecks tend not to bother and if you are hit by one you would have to fight with them for repairs.

Third party insurance is compulsory so if its their fault they hit you then you will be insured

Guest chris955

Actually no, 3rd party injury insurance is compulsory NOT property damage, it is amazing how many people think the yearly rego/ctp covers them for others damage.

Guest chris955

Don't worry, as I said you would be amazed at how many people think that CTP gives them damage insurance, it's actually a bit scary.

As it turns out... Camper is registered in Queensland, based in Sydney at present time and we are moving it to Vic, god it's got complicated. Turns out they'll have to stop registration and apply for unregistered permit so we can drive it down here where we'll have to get a brand new rego & rwc. He's still getting it checked up there so we know it's sound though. Does any of that make sense to anyone lol?!?! Wouldn't ever dream of driving without insurance!

Guest chris955

Just imagine how much easier it would be if all these States could join together and become one big country. :laugh:

Guest iselinger

Daniel, Dont want to put a damper on it but the car I bought had a brand new inspection certificate from Queensland but the NSW RTA insisted on a new one done in NSW.

Individual states trying to assert their indepedance, drives you round the bend.

Ian

Guest John Sydney

I hope you did a REV's check in Queensland the NSW will be useless

Also if he's canceling the rego he's making an extra profit as for 1/2 the refund

If he's getting an unregistered vehicle permit - make sure its valid for a couple of weeks - the cost is not that much extra - he will have too obtain a NSW pink slip to get it which should give you some idea if the van is road worth or not - check the rta nsw site for unregistered permits - all this is really is the 3rd party insurance and is quite cheap - with the permit you will be able to drive it in Victoria with no problems until it expires

Yeah, REV check is fine and rego was only till June so he won't get much back and it means we were planning on getting new rego fairly shortly anyway. He's getting the pink slip this week as last one ran out 2 weeks ago and having to get a Vic RWC too at least we'll know we are completely sorted and safe. I even rang Qld transport dept and checked he is really registered there and he is. You think it's hard getting here, some things just get even more complicated but the Aussies just don't seem to care, no worries mate lol!

• 1 month later...
Guest Yorkshire Rock Star

Hi all,

Moving to SE QLD on 5th June and will need a car to get out and about.

Does anyone have any tips specific to QLD used car dealers?

(I appreciate that the same concerns and checks are needed of all used cars...irrespective of where in the world they are....)

thanks a lot

Cheers

Phil

Guest John Sydney

It pretty standard Australia wide, cars bought from a dealer are free of any claims per finance - Just check the compliance plate - found under the bonnet it will tell you what year the car was built - if the car has no compliance plate walk away fast. - check the rego when it runs out if its runs out pretty soon ie with in 3 months complain for a price reduction. Also remember to haggle on price. You can also get a independent inspection done on the car

NB buy a local car ie Jap or Australian first not English or European as parts are cheaper

Hope this helps

It pretty standard Australia wide, cars bought from a dealer are free of any claims per finance - Just check the compliance plate - found under the bonnet it will tell you what year the car was built - if the car has no compliance plate walk away fast.

All dealers have to give you a clear title, i.e. no finance on the vehicle

Compliance plates are located all over the place on vehicles. Some under the bonnet (mitisubishi 380), some in the door wells and door sils (late model commodores and camry's aurions) and some in the boot (Viva and Yaris) If you can't find the plate then ask the dealer, they will know. It will have the words along the lines of the vehicles complies with australian standards 1976 (or something like that). Just be warned that there may be a build plate as well, don't get confused.

It also does not say when the car was built, it tells you when it complied to australian standards. i.e. a BMW may have been built in Jan 2009 but may not have complied until Sept 2009. The car has to be shipped down under then checked to see if it complies.

If your buying a car in Sydney which used to have Qld plates but it is unregistered you should be able to get a 5 day permit to drive with no plates. Check with the NSW RTA as there may be some restrictions. I know in the ACT and NSW you have 14 days from date of purchace to register the vehicle in your name, if you don't you'll get a fine. When you go to register it then thats when you pay the stamp duty.

You'll have to get a victoria equivlient to a blue slip/Roadworthy before you can can get rego (Car tax) for the vehicle.

If you have any more questions then send me a message.

I sell cars at a auction house and know a bit about australian cars. I am located in Canberra and as you may know all the different states and territories have different rules

Archived