GRRRRR - Pet "friendly" holiday accommodation

Rudi

I am getting SO frustrated, so I need to vent here!

I am trying to book a holiday at Xmas for my family......and I want to take my dogs with me.

So I went on Stayz and Take a Break and searched for pet friendly properties. I came up with heaps of options.

Now to me, pet friendly means there is a nice secure garden for the dogs to be in and there is an area inside where the dogs can be at night.

Nearly all the places I have contacted so far have come back to me to say that their property is not fenced and that dogs are not allowed inside under any circumstances! I have had several owners suggest that I tie my dogs up!!!!!! :mad: How on earth can these people get away with advertising their properties as pet friendly? That's not pet friendly at all!!!

Anyway, I have emailed both Take a Break and Stayz to moan about it.

Am I really asking too much?

Still haven't found somewhere to go :sad:

Love

Rudi

x

I am getting SO frustrated, so I need to vent here!

I am trying to book a holiday at Xmas for my family......and I want to take my dogs with me.

So I went on Stayz and Take a Break and searched for pet friendly properties. I came up with heaps of options.

Now to me, pet friendly means there is a nice secure garden for the dogs to be in and there is an area inside where the dogs can be at night.

Nearly all the places I have contacted so far have come back to me to say that their property is not fenced and that dogs are not allowed inside under any circumstances! I have had several owners suggest that I tie my dogs up!!!!!! :mad: How on earth can these people get away with advertising their properties as pet friendly? That's not pet friendly at all!!!

Anyway, I have emailed both Take a Break and Stayz to moan about it.

Am I really asking too much?

Still haven't found somewhere to go :sad:

Love

Rudi

x

I sympathise and agree with you unfortunately. Australia is not a pet, especially dog friendly place. The majority of Australians however do keep their dogs outside all year round, I was quite suprised at this but I think we are in minority here. I get frustrated that I can't go for a nice walk in the countryside and walk my dogs, not even on a leash in most places!!! We would like to tour Australia when we retire but I don't think we could do this with our dogs as most National park areas won't even let you in with them in the car!! So we will be faced with putting them into kennels for months at a time, so we probably won't even go, not whist the dogs are still with us anyway. Its sad but thats life here, we have to accept it will not change, we chose to live here so we'll have to live with it.

Guest Bernicem80

Yes! I totally agree to both posts!

I too have been trying to look for a weekend away on the Sunshine coast - even at a Campsite and am still having no luck with taking the dog! Its crazy isn't it??!

There's this huge, stunning country that we all want to explore - but seems as though our dogs can't come! I too miss the dog walks in the UK! Back there we could take the dogs anywhere and most of the time off the lead....here we are really restricted, which is a big suprise since everyone seems to have a dog!

Good Luck with finding somewhere (and let me know when you do!)

Rudi, where are you looking at going?? ask Kate she may know??

Julie x

We are looking at Northern NSW. It is frustrating the hell out of me! One person came back and wanted a $200 cleaning fee for having dogs there!!! Just stupid! These people are not pet friendly at all, they are money grabbing imbeciles!! Can you tell I am cross!!!? :chatterbox:

Love

Rudi

x

Hey Bernice,

I know the campsite at Peregian Beach accept dogs.

Unfortunately though, that does not mean they have a secure area for them......which is the problem I am finding. I need somewhere secure! One of my dogs is a Beagle and she is unable to be off leash - beagles are hunting dogs and will follow a scent to the end of the earth.....

And to be honest.....I'm not really a camping kind of girl :cute:

Thanks anyway.

Love

Rudi

x

I had a look.......most of them I have seen already, advertised on other sites - lots of them allow pets, but have no fences etc.

Couple of new ones thought.....so you never know! I have sent them an email.

Love

Rudi

x

I stayed at a place in Yamba with 3 dogs - it had a lovely deck area which owner said would suit dogs but as they have always slept on my bed (and I am not a dirty untidy sort of person) they still slept on bed.... owner would probably sue but I left the place as immacutely (and sweet smelling) as I found it....

Yeah, a lot of places say they have a deck. We live on acreage thought and my dogs are used to running around all day, so a deck would drive them insane!!

Anyway, we have ended up abandoning plans to go to northern NSW (Yamba was one of the places we would have loved to have gone!) and have booked a place up in the Hills inland from the Sunshine coast.

Love

Rudi

x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ajburnet

Hi,

Having just moved to Melbourne from the UK I can confirm things are difficult for dog owners. We had a difficult time finding short term accommodation with dogs.

I can recommend a few places in Melbourne for people heading this way:

Boutique Stays apartments (Brunswick, Melbourne). Expensive but nice apartments, allow dogs in but no garden, although a large dog friendly park (off lead) is 3 mins walk away. Around $150 a night though!

Apollo Caravan park: Outside Melbourne (about 30 mins drive in). They have proper dog friendly cabins which are okay and good facilities. The pet friendly cabins have a proper high fenced private dog run next to you and a great, large open scrub land area for your dogs to run around.

Thanks for that, but I tried EVERYWHERE!!! I have finally found somewhere though. I wanted to be in northern NSW, but have ended up in the hinterland on the sunshine coast.

The trouble is, my idea of pet friendly, and other short term accommodation providers ideas of pet friendly differ greatly.

Allowing pets at a properly does NOT make it pet friendly.

I do not consider somewhere pet friendly where there is no secure garden, where dogs are not able to sleep inside - even in the laundry, and where I am told to tie my dogs up to keep them secure.

Love

Rudi

x

Archived