Personal Trainer Employment

helenccc

Hi Guys,

This is a question for my defacto. Has anyone any info on transfering Irish and American Fitnesss and Personal Trainer Quals into the Aussie equivalant. Or is there anyone working over there with their own quals? The reason I ask is we have been quoted approx 10,000 dollars to either re train aussie standard which would be completley pointless as my OH would just be going over the basic which he knows inside out or at least 5,000 to get own quals put up for recognition. Any info would be so much appreciated. My OH is thinking of going into construction for the 1st while as this is what he did before his career change a few years back. We heading to Perth. Thanks in advance.

Helen x :wubclub:

Guest SunshineSmile

Hi Helen,

Sorry I dont have a precise answer for you but I will tell you what I do know..:biggrin:

We are in a very similar position to you, going to Brisbane later this year, Im a nurse and my oh defacto was also in construction and wants to re train when we get to Oz as a personal trainer. We are living in Ireland and had originally looked into him retraining here before we left but had to scrap that due to financial constraints (he has been out of work for over a year due to recession so spends his time training for marathons:v_SPIN:)

Oh cousin lives in NZ and trained here in Ireland as an outdoor pursuits instructor, we have spoke to him and he said all his Irish quals were accepted when he applied for a job (he did not need to get them assessed) also American quals accepted world wide.

But he did stress to us that being a personal trainer in and of itself was only a starting point and that you need a good diversre range of fitness skills for a job in the industry. For example he went off and did short courses on absailing, kitesurfing etc etc, so he can instruct as well as train people one and one. He said the fitness industry is massive and opportunities are infinate over there, plus he started off in Oz before NZ so he seems to understand the market in both Oz and NZ.

You might find more info here: www.aqf.edu.au and www.ausport.gov.au

Hope this is some help.. think I would be cautious about parting with any money until he explores his options more when you arrive? Best of luck :wink: Steph

Hi Steph,

Thankyou so much for your reply. Your info has been alot of help. OH is going to email a couple of companies direct and see what the story is. His interests are in getting into sports rehabilation and masssage etc so long term money would be better spent developing that careeer plan instead of going over old stuff. We are moving to perth in june so very much looking forward to going but as we have 2 kids a bit worried about work as savings arn't up to much. Great to know that it is possible to get your foot in the door in oz with irish quals. I have my fingers crossed. Wish you all the best in your move too

Helen x :yes:

Guest SunshineSmile
Hi Steph,

Thankyou so much for your reply. Your info has been alot of help. OH is going to email a couple of companies direct and see what the story is. His interests are in getting into sports rehabilation and masssage etc so long term money would be better spent developing that careeer plan instead of going over old stuff. We are moving to perth in june so very much looking forward to going but as we have 2 kids a bit worried about work as savings arn't up to much. Great to know that it is possible to get your foot in the door in oz with irish quals. I have my fingers crossed. Wish you all the best in your move too

Helen x :yes:

Glad to be of some help! I understand the financial worry part esp with kids.. on a positive note I have been told that construction has picked up again in WA (lots of prople will argue with that, but again that comes from someone my oh knows over there that actually works in construction) so it would look good for your man to get some work there until he is up and running with his rehab and massage stuff. Let me know how you get on, my oh is interested to see how you fair out on the job front.

Take care... Steph x

Archived