So I think it's goodbye

Cam

I haven't heard from a job I applied for in Melbourne, it's now close to 2 weeks since the interview & I need to let my manager at home know whether I'm coming back from maternity leave or taking a career break.

Having looked for 6 months for a job & not been succesful, we've decided that although we love Australia that we should go back. I have a good job at home, but can't get one here. My husband did get a job here but we can't live off 1 salary, & also I don't like not working. We also think that with the cost of living we may have a better chance of setting up our lives back home for us & our little girl.

I feel really sad, I have had a great time here & don't feel like we've done our time. It would have been good to have gone to Melbourne as I've spent a fair amount of time in Sydney (this time & last time). On the plus side I still have work projects going on at home that I hopefully can go back to, I left work with a good working relationship with colleagues, there wasn't any 'I'm leaving this job & never going back!!' I & my daughter both have Oz citizenship, so us coming back to Oz would be easy & my husband has permanent residency through a spouse visa, so if we decide that things are different in 5 years time or so we can book our flights again!!

So I guess it's time now to make a long list of things to do, start selling things - anybody have some good ideas of where I could sell stuff: a brand new baby cotbed, 2 brand new road bikes, or would the usual suspect: ebay be the best option?... Tell our rental agent & hope they can get someone in quick so we don't have to pay the extra rent. etc. etc. I'm just hoping that it's easier than when we moved out, as now have a very mobile & active little girls things may be just a bit harder!!!

:jiggy:

I haven't heard from a job I applied for in Melbourne, it's now close to 2 weeks since the interview & I need to let my manager at home know whether I'm coming back from maternity leave or taking a career break.

Having looked for 6 months for a job & not been succesful, we've decided that although we love Australia that we should go back. I have a good job at home, but can't get one here. My husband did get a job here but we can't live off 1 salary, & also I don't like not working. We also think that with the cost of living we may have a better chance of setting up our lives back home for us & our little girl.

I feel really sad, I have had a great time here & don't feel like we've done our time. It would have been good to have gone to Melbourne as I've spent a fair amount of time in Sydney (this time & last time). On the plus side I still have work projects going on at home that I hopefully can go back to, I left work with a good working relationship with colleagues, there wasn't any 'I'm leaving this job & never going back!!' I & my daughter both have Oz citizenship, so us coming back to Oz would be easy & my husband has permanent residency through a spouse visa, so if we decide that things are different in 5 years time or so we can book our flights again!!

So I guess it's time now to make a long list of things to do, start selling things - anybody have some good ideas of where I could sell stuff: a brand new baby cotbed, 2 brand new road bikes, or would the usual suspect: ebay be the best option?... Tell our rental agent & hope they can get someone in quick so we don't have to pay the extra rent. etc. etc. I'm just hoping that it's easier than when we moved out, as now have a very mobile & active little girls things may be just a bit harder!!!

my heart goes out to you and i hope you can find a way of staying out there, i wish you the best of luck with all your dreams and hope you fulfull them all

xx

Have you chased the employer to find out where they are at with the selection process? I've had this happen a number of times - you have to follow up and chase everything. I chased up a position 2 weeks after a job interview and the rude cow still did not acknowledge me. I think that is a disgrace and highly unprofessional to say the least.

I can understand not getting a reply in the first instance for a job that I wasn't qualified to do, but they will only interview a handful of candidates from many hundreds of applicants. If you make it that far, it is the very least they could do to a) thank you for expressing an interest in their useless company and b) say you have been unsuccessful. I have NEVER had this happen in the UK.

If there are any HR peeps on here, feel free to comment !

Guest Mr Happy

How are you applying for jobs? Remember 90% of the job seekers are using methods only 10% of employers use. Get 'What Color Is Your Parachute' book and you will understand.

Guest The Pom Queen

Please don't give up yet. You find employers are very slow over here and the longest I have heard of is 3 months and that was when a friend was successful, unfortunately she had given up hope and was offered another job. As someone mentioned maybe give them a call. I will keep my fingers tightly crossed.

Kate

Thank you for your comments & advice. I emailed the council today to ask if I had been unsuccesful & could I get interview feedback, but haven't had a response yet.

Unfortunately I have a deadline with my job back home & I've kept on pushing it back but can't keep on doing it, as it is messing them around.

I had a similar situation before Xmas when I went for an interview, they said they would make a decision by the end of the week, & 2 weeks later hadn't heard anything. I emailed the HR lady to find out, she said she'd chase it up, got back to me & just said no, I asked for interview feedback, she said sure she'd get the manager to respond & I never heard anything more. I think the policies & procedures are slightly different over here, as back home you have certain things you have to do to keep the selection process 'fair, clear & transparent'. I've been surprised that over here,as well when I've gone for more junior jobs that I haven't been shortlisted, back in the UK they would have had to shortlist me as I have demonstrated that I have met all the essential criteria, but I guess it's not quite the same here. But that's the thing, everything's different in a new country.

My manager has just emailed me to say he's available to talk, so I guess it's here goes...

i would ring the company again and basically lay it on the line that you have to go back to uk if you are unsuccessful xxx

what have you got to lose xxxx

good luck with what you decide , such a pity as i would have loved to meet you guys xxx

keep us posted how you get on

take care carole x

Guest valleylass
Please don't give up yet. You find employers are very slow over here and the longest I have heard of is 3 months and that was when a friend was successful, unfortunately she had given up hope and was offered another job.
I am not proud to say that I can beat that Kate, I received a 'thanks but no thanks' email two weeks ago for a job I applied for in early October!!!! That was for a job in an large education authority

valleylass

They just got back to me today. They said they had been holding off as I was second in line, & had just had an acceptance from their first choice candidate. Ironically he said that they had advertised the position previously & if I'd applied then I would have got it, grrrrrh! But it was very positive feedback which is great but doesn't give me the job card to stay unfortunately!!! Guess I made that decision a bit too late to look at Melbourne jobs!!!

I confirmed with my manager last night that I was coming back to the UK & he was really positive, as I had to ask about all the local authority job cuts that are being threatened. So, for the moment, it's time to check out sending some boxes back...

Guest The Pom Queen
They just got back to me today. They said they had been holding off as I was second in line, & had just had an acceptance from their first choice candidate. Ironically he said that they had advertised the position previously & if I'd applied then I would have got it, grrrrrh! But it was very positive feedback which is great but doesn't give me the job card to stay unfortunately!!! Guess I made that decision a bit too late to look at Melbourne jobs!!!

I confirmed with my manager last night that I was coming back to the UK & he was really positive, as I had to ask about all the local authority job cuts that are being threatened. So, for the moment, it's time to check out sending some boxes back...

I was going to say congratulations on getting so far, but as you are having to go back I just want to say sorry it didn't work out. It is a shame that you can't wait a little longer for that perfect job.

I wish you all the best and hope that you can walk back in to your job in the UK.

Hugs

Kate

:hug:

Guest Doaldsons

hi we too are heading back to uk, melbourne has got way to expensive, cheaper to return to uk buy land and we build our own house husband is a builder, so we lucky in that respect, we are taking all our belongings back with us again!! just cannot afford to start all over again, with buying furniture etc, we have been here just over a year, love it,not homesick, just cant afford it,:confused:

Guest The Pom Queen
hi we too are heading back to uk, melbourne has got way to expensive, cheaper to return to uk buy land and we build our own house husband is a builder, so we lucky in that respect, we are taking all our belongings back with us again!! just cannot afford to start all over again, with buying furniture etc, we have been here just over a year, love it,not homesick, just cant afford it,:confused:

Sorry to hear that, I would like to wish you well and hope it all goes smoothly:wubclub:

Thanks Kate, much appreciated, I applied for 10 jobs here - 7 straight out rejects & without blowing my trumpet I could have done any of them with my eyes closed, & then 3 where I was runner-up!! I guess we were also always looking to see what viability there was in living over here, &

Sorry, baby sent the message!!!

continued.... so whether we could have a good quality of life, etc. & our real concerns have been whether we could afford to have a good quality of life here in the long run. However, it may be that we go back for a few years, are really sensible with our money, secure jobs from oversees & come back with a stronger exchange rate, it could be that the financial growth over here may have slowed down a bit by then - ever hopeful!, the UK housing market recovered & the exchange rate sorted itself out. Agree with the Donaldsons: love it,not homesick, just can't afford it.

Good luck Donaldsons, hope it all goes well, very brave building your own house, good luck in finding some land!!!

Sorry about your situation, I expect the job market will improve in the next couple of years.

Just wanted to add I was asked to conduct some telephone interviews last June and no decision has still been made!

Sorry Cam not read it all.

Look if I were you I'd call who interviewed you or even go and see them. What you got to lose. They may not see the ergencie.

Go on do it. It may be the best thing you ever did. You may even get the job on persistance.

well you never know

Good luck X

Archived