Packing Up - Advice needed please....

Guest luce4321

Guest luce4321

Hi there

My husband and I are organising shipping for our move to Melbourne and we will probably pack up our belongings ourselves. I was just wondering if someone out there could just give me a bit of advice on doing it, e.g How thorough do you have to be with your inventory list, do you have to estimate values, how do you label boxes? Is there a limited weight etc

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Lucy

I can't give you much advice on the nitty gritty just some practical advice on the packing itself and that is to make sure you thoroughly wrap anything that can be broken. Wrapping things in thick paper won't make a heap of difference and you also need to make sure that you do not place these items in a box that contains heavy items of the type that would break them. I used a very friendly shipping company to bring my belongings over here but the people who packed it should not be in that line of work because almost everything that could be broken was and much of it was irreplaceable. Almost everything was packed in a manner that is contrary to the advice I just gave you - only the fragiles that were securely wrapped in bubble wrap etc. arrived intact so that would seem like a good way to wrap it.

I was thorough when it came to making a list of the inventory and as for estimated value, I simply put down what it would cost to replace the item if it were lost or damaged. As far as weight goes, I'm not sure this matters much beyond making sure you do not put so much in that you will break the box when you pick it up or making sure it is not too heavy to be picked up. I paid a price based on volume and used a shared container. Don't forget to shop around when it comes to insurance either.

Best of luck. :smile:

Guest gary12

We used excess international when we moved. They packed everything fantastically well, just one item broken, it was a sentimental item so I wrapped it myself to make sure it arrived intact!

Not sure about inventory but just ensure that you have cleaned everything you intend to take, and pack similar items together ie shoes, garage items, garden stuff. That way hopefully customs with only open those. We also were advised against packing any food items ie tea as if they find it they open the lot.

Best of luck

Michelle

Archived