jakc

Its been awhile but I thought it would make sense to continue my 856 vs 175 discussion on my original post.

My current situation is that I now fall 5 points short on the 175 test.

- PArtly my fault for not sorting it before I hit 30, but its done now.

Im stuck and want some advice.

Summary:

Im on a 457.

Ive been looking at the 457 paperwork, and my occupation was lodged as:

ASCO code: 22997

Rolling to 856:

Pros

- Will happen quickly (not too fussed)

- Sounds like its guaranteed residency

- Potentially less paperwork (not much less though)

- No need to leave country (although not an issue, as head abroad a fair bit anyhow)

Cons

- My employer has said that if I want to roll to 856, I will need to go through their Migration Agent (Greenberg). I do not think our HR will want to do it any other way.

-Agent costs - $3k. Lodge application costs $3k = $6k (and thats without skills tests/other fees)

Rolling to 175

Pros

- Biggest pro is the price difference. I think its nearer $1.5k

Cons

- Im not making 120 points on the skills test anymore. (115pts)

- Takes longer/have to leave country/could get rejected

So - sounds like I have no choice but to go for 856.

However. The game changer to me is which skill do I put down on my application.

I work in a support and training position for a software company that produces mapping software.

I did a Uni degree in GIS (mapping).

Therefore, I would have thought the logical choice for skill would have been 'Cartographer' or 'Other Spatial Scientist' (which gets me 50pts on skills list).

However there are other skills on the list that get 60 points, that as aspect of my jobs entails:

- ICT business analyst

- Systems analyst

- Analyst programmer

- Developer programmer

How would I go about finding out if I fit the bill for any of the above without paying for a skills assesment? Is their a tick list of what they mark for these skills and what proof I would have to provide to choose one?

Appreciate any help or thoughts you have.

Guest HoutoMel
Its been awhile but I thought it would make sense to continue my 856 vs 175 discussion on my original post.

My current situation is that I now fall 5 points short on the 175 test.

- PArtly my fault for not sorting it before I hit 30, but its done now.

Some of our more seasoned forumers might have a better answer, but you should be fine if you wait a day (1 July), because you'll get your points back from being 30. The new rules push the 30 point range to age 32.

You may still be able to apply for a 175. Double check the new scoring for post 1 July.

They will also no longer give points for occupations, but the occupations have to be on the new SOL list. Unfortunately, I don't know if you can escape the clutches of the skills assessment process. (btw I'm a planner and know all about GIS--congrats on that!!)

I'm 30 and this is will be what I do (though I'm off-shore).

You may still be able to apply for a 175. Double check the new scoring for post 1 July.

1st ive heard, but great to hear!

This would solve all my problems.

AS tomorrow is the 1st, do you have any links to either official pages on IMMI or other PIO forum posts where I can stay informed about whats going on?

Guest HoutoMel
1st ive heard, but great to hear!

This would solve all my problems.

AS tomorrow is the 1st, do you have any links to either official pages on IMMI or other PIO forum posts where I can stay informed about whats going on?

Here's the link to the PIO thread on the new SOL:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/116569-new-sol-releases-effective-1-july-2011-a.html

Here is DIAC's new blog, which includes the new points rules:

http://skilledmigration.govspace.gov.au/

And here's the points rules themselves:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-test.pdf

I think you'll be in great shape. I don't know all the details of how the changes may apply to you, but the main differences for me (post 1 July) are:

1. I can actually apply. Under the old rules, I wouldn't have had enough points (just as you were thinking), and I was also recently reject SS from VIC. Now, I will have more than enough points for the new rules (65 points is the new requirement).

Like you, the age would have been my main issue with the points under the old rules. Now, the maximum 30 points is for 25-32 yrs of age.

2. I took the IELTS test in order to get the maximum points for the new test.

3. If you want to claim points for your occupational years of experience, depending on your skills assessment authority, you may have to get a supplemental assessment done for points purposes. In my case, VETASSESS is offering an additional assessment (at additional cost, of course) for the purpose of the points test. This appears to be different from the assessment to determine if you have the qualifications for an occupation on the SOL...at least that's my understanding. I have a yet-to-be-answered email in with WETASSESS waiting on an answer.

3. The application fee will be higher. It's believed that it could be as much as 15% more.

There's a lot of...anxiety on PIO and other forums because of the new points test. Ironically, I think it works better for those of us with professional degrees and experience (at least that's its goal).

Hope this helps.

Yes, this points system looks in my favour.

English: Citizen = 10 pts, (20 with IELTS test)

Skilled Employment = Will be 3yrs in Aus in Feb 2012 10pts, or 5pts if I lodge now.

Bit annoying, because I have probably done just under 5yrs for various employers in England, and just under 3yrs for company in Aus. Will need to look at dates here.

Qualifications: BAchelors =10pts

So, I easily score 60, but to make 65 I can either:

• Take IELTS test to prove I can speak proficient English
  • Wait till Feb 2012 before lodging application.
  • Dig more on my prior work history in UK to see if I can get proof I have been working for 5yrs overseas in my trade.

I took the IELTS test

Im British Citizen. I need to take the test to get the maximum points for the new test.

- Was the test tricky at all? I can't remember much about GCSE English anymore :spinny:

Any advice? I would prefer to get something lodged before Christmas really.

Archived