Applying for my first job in Oz

k8bug79

Hi my dream job has come available in Adelaide and whislt we are probably not quite ready to make the leap yet I can not pass the opportunity by and not apply. In reality it's probably a little out of my depth but that may be justa confidence issue.

So I am about to put an application in. Is there anything I should definitely do or not do when applying for jobs out there. I have heard that they like covering letters to address a lot more tan we would in the UK is this right? Are they more formal or laid back than us? Do they frown upon anything. Given that I am a Mum of 3 and have some time out of work recently is it best to avoid mentioning this or be upfront?

Also could you give me a good idea of what would be classed a reasonable wage in AUD? FOr eg in the UK I would say £18K is a reasonable wage, £28K a good wage and £35K+ an excellent wage. Now I can convert the wage on offer to GBPs but there is not much point with the exchange rate at the moment, so what in your opinion is a reasonable wage to be offered and live on baring in mind we have 3 children.

Thanks

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Kate

Good luck with the application. You will find most employers will only read the covering letter, if this is good then they will read the rest, so you really need to make it stand out.

Kate

Guest Ruth27

On your covering letter make sure you address all of the items listed in the "selection criteria" or similar, list each point and explain what experience you have or qualifications that you have that will demonstrate your suitability for the position.

Your CV/Resume should show your work periods, what you've done/achievements etc, so I personally wouldn't add a sentence that you haven't worked for x years, unless you can cover it on a positive note.

Have a look at some of the Resume examples AND covering letters on the net

Good luck

If there is a selection criteria for the job, address that criteria one by one by giving examples of your work, what you would do .... what were the outcomes of what you did? It very difficult sometimes to find the selection criteria just from a CV, so write each criteria as a heading and submit that with your CV and covering letter

Archived