Rip off flights???

Guest Chrissy

just thought i would put my experience here.

moved over to australia april 2009. used to fly over here before that about twice a year, so was used to the prices of airfares.

i have been trying to book a return flight to uk for some time now but the prices are incredible.

today for instance using uk flight site www.expedia.co.uk i put in for sydney to manchester, return, 19th june to 16th july. i put the same dates in for the same flight with the same airline, but from manchester to sydney. it is the same distance and the same flights. same amount of fuel and using the same airports.

the flight to uk is 1780 uk pounds!!

the same flight but to sydney is 807 uk pounds!!

there is no reason for this except australians are going to continually get ripped off unless you complainabout it.

i suggest you follow my lead and bring it to the attention of channel 9's "a current affair" programme - ACA > Your Feedback

sydney to manchester

Roundtrip: £1,780.46 21:10 Depart Sydney (SYD)

Arrive Manchester (MAN) 12:25 +1 day Sat 19-Jun

Duration: 24hr 15mn Emirates 413 / 17Connect in Dubai (Dubai Intl.)

spaceit.gif

21:00 Depart Manchester (MAN)

Arrive Sydney (SYD) 07:45 +2 days Fri 16-Jul

Duration: 25hr 45mn Emirates 20 / 418Connect in Dubai (Dubai Intl.)

Total stops: 2

manchester to sydney

Roundtrip: £807.46 - Expedia Special Fare 21:00 Depart Manchester (MAN)

Arrive Sydney (SYD) 07:45 +2 days Sat 19-Jun

Duration: 25hr 45mn Emirates 20 / 418Connect in Dubai (Dubai Intl.)

spaceit.gif

18:45 Depart Sydney (SYD)

Arrive Manchester (MAN) 12:25 +1 day Fri 16-Jul

Duration: 26hr 40mn Emirates 419 / 17Connect in Dubai (Dubai Intl.)

It's because they don't want anyone to leave...:biglaugh:

Guest chris955

Well why would you want to ? :biggrin:

It's because they don't want anyone to leave...:biglaugh:

Well why would you want to ? :biggrin:

Lol- When I booked our flights back the other week- I got to paying the fare,and realised I needed to transfer money into a different account to pay- did this-took me 3 mins the fare had gone up $600- I complained and was old it was just bad luck-was also charged to pay with a DEBIT card!

If I hear once more 'but that's just how it is here darl' I swear I'll scream :arghh::wacko::err::biglaugh::skeptical:

Guest chloew

Christmas is high season world wide and airlines have higher fares between about 9 Dec - 15/16 january. To get a cheapish flight over christmas you would need to book in January otherwise it is very expensive. As you can only book flights 11 months in advance you would need to book for 10 December in mid January. When I worked at Flight Centre in London we had a stream of people booking flights in January to go home for Christmas. Generally with an agent you can pay a deposit and then pay the fare later in the year,although fares are subject to change until paid in full.

Is it possible for you to leave Oz a bit earlier, say last week Nov or first week of December? Another option is to fly Xmas Eve but probably to late for that now as well.

It is cheaper to fly from London as there is more competition in the UK. Traditionally flights are always cheaper to book in the country of origin, so a flight Sydney return is cheaper to book in Oz than in the UK.

Christmas is high season world wide and airlines have higher fares between about 9 Dec - 15/16 january. To get a cheapish flight over christmas you would need to book in January otherwise it is very expensive. As you can only book flights 11 months in advance you would need to book for 10 December in mid January. When I worked at Flight Centre in London we had a stream of people booking flights in January to go home for Christmas. Generally with an agent you can pay a deposit and then pay the fare later in the year,although fares are subject to change until paid in full.

Is it possible for you to leave Oz a bit earlier, say last week Nov or first week of December? Another option is to fly Xmas Eve but probably to late for that now as well.

It is cheaper to fly from London as there is more competition in the UK. Traditionally flights are always cheaper to book in the country of origin, so a flight Sydney return is cheaper to book in Oz than in the UK.

I don't think you can book flights out of Oz from the UK anyway- when I have tried in the past it doesn't recognise the origin.:err:

Guest spacegirl73

Hi Chrissy, we paid $10500 two years ago for exactly the same time and number of passengers, unfortunatley its the time of year you are going but I think they have come down in price since we went - good luck!

Guest kimbaroo

Try airasia.com they're a low cost carrier and fly out of the gold coast to stanstead via kuala lumpur. but the trick is you've got to book 2 seperate tickets. 1 from gold coast to kuala lumpur and then kuala lumpur to london stanstead it does work out cheaper but im not sure around christmas time i think its jus expensive for every airline round christmas, let me no if you find any cheap deals cause im thinking about going back at christmas for a holiday to.. :-)

P.S. if anyones looking for flights sep-oct time they got them for about 900 dollars return at the moment bargain!

Guest chloew
Try airasia.com they're a low cost carrier and fly out of the gold coast to stanstead via kuala lumpur. but the trick is you've got to book 2 seperate tickets. 1 from gold coast to kuala lumpur and then kuala lumpur to london stanstead it does work out cheaper but im not sure around christmas time i think its jus expensive for every airline round christmas, let me no if you find any cheap deals cause im thinking about going back at christmas for a holiday to.. :-)

P.S. if anyones looking for flights sep-oct time they got them for about 900 dollars return at the moment bargain!

has anyone experienced flying Air Asia with young children? I'm tempted to use them - they'll be 17 months and 2 months.......not sure if we may be better off paying more peace of mind!

Archived