midwife at mater brisbane?

piglet

hiya

does anyone have any information about what life is like as a midwife at the mater's?

I have been told that as a midwife in aus its better to work in a public hospital as opposed to a private, as you will be able to work more autonomously and using the same skills as in the uk (i could be missinformed).

As the mater is both a public and a private hospital, how will that work??

x

hiya

does anyone have any information about what life is like as a midwife at the mater's?

I have been told that as a midwife in aus its better to work in a public hospital as opposed to a private, as you will be able to work more autonomously and using the same skills as in the uk (i could be missinformed).

As the mater is both a public and a private hospital, how will that work??

x

I can tell you what other posters have said in the past until someone with first hand knowledge comes along. Private hospitals use private obstetricians to do the leadup and delivery and statistically are a lot more interventionist and therefore have a lot higher rates of c-section. Midwives play a minor role under this setup. In public hospitals midwife's do a lot of the lead up, and the delivery as well, and an obstetrician may not be needed at all.

The Mater is two separate hospitals, the Mater Public and the Mater Private rather than one hospital that does both. They do have staff sharing agreements sometimes, like for example they cover each other for skills shortages if too many emergencies happen on one or the other's labour ward (one reason they are better than the suburban hospitals) - but they still have two totally different labour wards with their own administrations, funding models, rooms, theatre's, staff, kitchens etc ie. they are totally different hospitals.

Archived