come on the reds

tony74

Hi, can anyone tell me if there is much work for bricklayers in or around Brisbane, ive posted before but not much reply.

Im hoping to go there next year with my missus and two kids (both under 3), but cant seem to find any info on work ie: pricework or daywork, wages, cost of living etc.

Also could anyone tell me where is a nice place to live in briz??????? thanx...

Hiya certain areas of brisbane are booming at the moment around here(south) being one of them .After renovating our housend talking to locals you soon realise what a shortage there is ,my friend in ipswich cant get a builder for love nor money ,Have a look at www.alljobs.com.au it searches lots of the job sites in one.Dont be surprised when enquiring or applying for jobs from the uk if you get little or no response ,lots of companys dont really take you 'seriously' till your here,good luck with everything im sure youll have no problem securing work.Wages vary drastically depending on if your employed or go self employed ,the self employed tradeys around here seem to do pretty well.

Cal x

Guest tony and steph
Hi, can anyone tell me if there is much work for bricklayers in or around Brisbane, ive posted before but not much reply.

Im hoping to go there next year with my missus and two kids (both under 3), but cant seem to find any info on work ie: pricework or daywork, wages, cost of living etc.

Also could anyone tell me where is a nice place to live in briz??????? thanx...

I am also a brickie who has just returned, in May, from a trip to Brisbane to check out the work situation. I talked to brickies on lots of different sites and they all found time to talk to me (Aussie and Poms). I am at the TRA stage of our application and want to live (with wife and two kids) around the Brisbane area. The rates vary but generally are around $25-30 per hour daywork on houses on the outskirts of Brisbane (Ipswich, Jimboomba). The cost of living seems to be a bit cheaper than here. Petrol much cheaper and land cheaper but rising. There are lots of nice places to live (too many to mention). Tambourine Mountain is gorgeous but a bit more expensive properties/land. We ordered book on places to live in Brisbane which has been really useful. We ordered it from www.consylpublishing.co.uk and it is called 'Where to Live Guide Greater Brisbane'. Hope this helps. Email if you need any more info.

Hi, thanx for the reply, whilst you were in Oz did you notice if there was any pricework on building sites or do you think $25 - $30 per hour is enough to live on, we were there last year but unfortunately i didnt go on any sites so im trying to get as much info as i can from p.i.o, we are also in the t.r.a stage but because ive been self-employed since i left apprentiship ive worked for hundreds of subbies and its getting a bit frustrating also i was never actually indentured.

Guest tony and steph

I have also worked for loads of subbies and just got three of them to give me references . I think the TRA realize it is difficult to obtain references as a subbie. I have also included in my application a Statutory Declaration signed by a JP to confirm that I have been a brickie. Are you going through an agent to with your application ? if you are then they can advise you on how to get around any reference difficulties. It won't matter that you have not been indentured as they just require you to have five years (i think) experience.

I didn't see any sites that were pricework and to be honest you will be glad of this in the summer because it is too hot to be on pricework. $25-30 per hour is enough to live on and considered a decent wage over there. Glad to be of help and email of any more questions.

Tony

Archived