485 time frame

alex2010

Hi,

does anybody have experience how long it takes to have 485 visa granted? I am a November 2008 applicant (no priority before 08/02/2010) and 485 visa still hasn't been decided (16 months from the lodgement date).

Thank you.

A.

• 2 months later...

OMG....Does it take soo long to be granted???? I applied this March hoping that it will take 3 to 5 months only...so that I can bring my partner here this year...feeling soooo upsett:cry:...Any quick process???

Hi,

when I applied in November 2008, my agent told me the average waiting time had been 10 months. However, I had a bad luck because Diac introduced the priority processing for 485 visa on 23rd Sept 2009 as well and my almost decision ready application was swept into last category with no priority. I found a good contact to people from Diac, but I was told that my CO couldnot do anything until all applications with higher priorities were processed. Thanks god they canceled this ministerial direction on 08/02/2010 and subclass 485 is exempted from priority processing, otherwise I would still have a pending application...

Today I guess the waiting time could be again around 10 months. Yet with the new SOL more aplicants will have to go on 485 after 1st July and the waiting time may be longer then.

I had a similar situation with my partner. At the time of my application I was not able to prove 12 months relationship so I couldn't include her in my application. Later on we were able to prove this, but Diac informed us that de facto relationship is a time of application criterion so my partner can be added to my 485 visa as a family after it's grant. Therefore, if somebody is less than 6 month since completing Australian study he/she can lodge a new application for 485 and include his/her partner- but the system will not allow you to lodge it again electronically. I don't know your situation, the fee is only around $200, there might be a requirement of having an eligible visa for your partner. I strongly recommend a consultation with a registered migration agent.

A.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply. Just a quick question? was your partner in Australia? I think ur answer gonna be yes..Because I found in DIAC website tht both primary and secondery applicant should be in Australia when Applying for 485 visa.

In my case my girlfriend is in London as a overeas student. In my 485 application I have added her as I am "Engaged" with her. But didn't added her as a secondery applicant. Now we have deceided to get married this September hoping that by that time I will be granted my 485 visa and she can apply as subsequent entrants.

but bad news from you....10+++ month to grant this 485 visa....DIAC is the worst immigration office in the whole world.....:mad:

Hi mystic,

that's right. You need to be in Australia at the time when you apply for 485 as a main or secondary applicant and my partner was also in Australia. In my case, she was mentioned in the application as non-migrating dependant only which means she was not included in the application (we were not able to prove 12 months relationship) and thus she actually didn't have to be in Australia because she wasn't a secondary applicant. After my visa was granted I could add her as a family member to my 485 visa. However, I didn't have to do this, because she was on an eligible student visa and I included her as a secondary applicant to my subsequent 886 application. As a result, she was immediately granted a bridging visa A (it took effect after the expiry date of her student visa). So I was lucky I didn't have to apply for 485 visa for her before applying for 886 - I saved another 3 months of waiting for her 485 visa and $200 on VAC and also eliminated the risk of coming possible 1st of July changes.

In your case, I am afraid you will have to wait for your 485 visa grant. Once you get it, she can be inside or outside Australia to be able to apply for 485 as a family member. If she is in Australia, she will be granted a bridging visa A until her application is decided ( Skilled – Graduate (Temporary) visa (subclass 485) )

You need to be careful with your subsequent 885/886 application, because both of you need to have an eligible visa. Once again you should see a migration agent to consult your situation.

A.

Archived