More Plumbing

Bod

Hi all

I wrote this in a private message to Jonseys wife so I copied & pasted it for you lot as I type about 2 words per minuete I wanted more of you getting the beafit of my wisdom.

Andrea is fine and handling life better than me hear. Even thoe what I have written is true I have been a bit negative. Just across the board I could have done things better. I'm sure money will get better once I find my feet. Tools I think maybe about the same Example: 18 Volt Makita set; Drill, circuler saw, Resipricating saw, and Touch with 2 Lithium batterys AuS $1200. Get OH too check that out. They work alot with plastic pipe as copper is exspensive but relly good stuff far better than what we have in England. Copper that we do work ith is generally 16mm & 20mm. They use the same Mapp gas guns. $115 Gun only. can't remember model number but I could have got cheaper in the same brand. You can use tranformers I see somone with one the other day.

Tools are generally the same I brought all new reason being. It would take a while for tools to be shipped and would have started work before we arrived. Then If I had to go home say one of my parents was seriously ill. I could stay and still work in England without worrying about money. Liability insurance was not the cheapest but with a well known company (Ammi) and that does include my tools which is better than in England. Cover was was for 5 Million Aussie Dollers. We have settled in North Lakes north of Brisbane. It is nice and the ammineties are far supriour to home. Booked docters apponintment for same day and they talk to you and listen. but my advise is when shipping do bring anything usefull when buying new it all mounts up then the rose tinted glasses do start to fall off. Mine fell off while working my first day plumbing.

Ok that it I'm going to past and copie this as I have written so much and post it so don't be surprised to see it again on a thread.

Good luck all :arghh:

PS has this thing got spell check.

Guest kdal

Thank you soooo much for your post my OH is a Plumber and we are thinking of settling in the same area as you, so as much info as possible is fantastic. Your info is very much valued.

How long have you lived in Australia? Why did you rose tinted goggles fall off when you were working???

Gd luck to you and your family

regards

Same question from us too! what went wrong on first day plumbing for put you off?

My OH is plumber too and we will be settling somewhere north to middle of gold coast.

Really good for you to post your thoughts too as they are really valued.

Lyn

p.s yep there is a spell check! top right hand of reply box - says abc with a 'tick' under, but dont worry too much as l think we've all learnt to translate everyones typing hehe!

Hello Kdal Hello Lynandsean

My Rose tinted Glasses fell off because I was bloody Knackerd. Money was poor for slogging your nuts off. I'm starting for firm Tomorrow and at this moment it seems ok. The boss said all the right things he seems laid back supplied me with a van & some tools, petral card ect.

$30 per hour + he pays 9% pension. No Holidays or sick but I have never had this. I need to adapt really as I have worked for myself for a long time so working for a boss could be difficult. But I have a good feeling about this whole set up. Time will tell and I will keep you informed.

all the best John

Guest fatpom

$30/hr ($68K package) is well above the national average... most Aussies would love that kind of money as most aussies don't earn anywhere near the average. It's probably normal range for non-self employed plumbers.

You've probably got off to a reasonable start... cheer up:)

Guest tracy hunt

Hello John

Very useful info. I just read it to my husband.

Glad to hear you are settling.

Tracyxx

Hi John

Thanks for getting back and its good to hear that the new job looks promising and really hope it proves to be what you hope.

My OH has been self empl plumber for over 20 years here and he too has never known sick or holiday pay, could never afford to go on holiday either!

Being self employed here has become nothing but grief and he gets nowhere hear the return people think you get and now he is getting gradually pushed out by the big companies.

He is quite looking forward to working for a company now, working hard and learning the aussie plumbing. Have received email back from Qld plumbing and draining board and they say he qualifies for a provisional licence so gonna see if he can apply for that before we arrive or if we have to wait till we get there (sometime in next 6 mths depending on house sale). Once provisional licence sorted they say they will then provide details of courses for gaining full licence etc so pretty much got to grips with that bit now.

Could you tell us how you feel best way to find a job is, did you sort it once you arrived or before you got there etc?

Big thanks

Lyn and Sean

$30/hr ($68K package) is well above the national average... most Aussies would love that kind of money as most aussies don't earn anywhere near the average. It's probably normal range for non-self employed plumbers.

You've probably got off to a reasonable start... cheer up:)

Hello Fat Pom

Yes I have been sounding a bit of a grump but you would undrerstand if you were a plumber, every man and his dog think we earn money for old rope. The fact is hear and in the mother land we are very much underpaid for the skills we have and all the other gump that goes with being a plumber. (the same goes for the other trades as well)

But yes I'll chear up.

thanks mate John

Hi John

Thanks for getting back and its good to hear that the new job looks promising and really hope it proves to be what you hope.

My OH has been self empl plumber for over 20 years here and he too has never known sick or holiday pay, could never afford to go on holiday either!

Being self employed here has become nothing but grief and he gets nowhere hear the return people think you get and now he is getting gradually pushed out by the big companies.

He is quite looking forward to working for a company now, working hard and learning the aussie plumbing. Have received email back from Qld plumbing and draining board and they say he qualifies for a provisional licence so gonna see if he can apply for that before we arrive or if we have to wait till we get there (sometime in next 6 mths depending on house sale). Once provisional licence sorted they say they will then provide details of courses for gaining full licence etc so pretty much got to grips with that bit now.

Could you tell us how you feel best way to find a job is, did you sort it once you arrived or before you got there etc?

Big thanks

Lyn and Sean

Hello Lyn & Sean

We are north of Brissie and the Saturday Courier Mail has a jobs section with plenty of jobs. or go on line to www.seek.com

My first day was good I was working on a BP car wash I enjoyedf it. BP's health and saftey policy is Long sleve shirts, Long trousers, helmet, And a Mask for soldering could be coming in soon

Sod that in the Summer I was hot today and it was only 21 C and cloudy.:cry:

Talk to you soon.

John

Hello Fat Pom

Yes I have been sounding a bit of a grump but you would undrerstand if you were a plumber, every man and his dog think we earn money for old rope. The fact is hear and in the mother land we are very much underpaid for the skills we have and all the other gump that goes with being a plumber. (the same goes for the other trades as well)

Hi ya John

Couldnt agree more with your comment (no offence Fat Pom, l like reading your posts)

Looks like the health and safety brigade have shipped out to Oz too lol.

Will see if you can access the Courier Mail online, have looked at seek.com.au too and am gonna adjust OH's cv in the hope that it makes sense for the aussies (C & G qualifcations etc) so that he can apply for some via that site.

Did you get to run through the car wash for a refreshing dip!?

Lyn and Sean

Hello Fat Pom

Hi ya John

Couldnt agree more with your comment (no offence Fat Pom, l like reading your posts)

Will see if you can access the Courier Mail online, have looked at seek.com.au too and am gonna adjust OH's cv in the hope that it makes sense for the aussies (C & G qualifcations etc) so that he can apply for some via that site.

Did you get to run through the car wash for a refreshing dip!?

Lyn and Sean

Hi Lynn & Dean

Did not need a dip it has been pissing down all day and I was working out in it. Liked it really still warm reminded me of home (the wet side not the warm). So far so good boss understands that things are diffrent hear to home. They do things like roofs and drainage wich we generally do not do at home. And termanoligy is somthing I have to get my head round They call tools and fittings by diffrent names but all is flowing in nicely.

I'll keep the info coming

John

Hi ya John

You are a star!

Have got shippers coming round over next week or so and it has raised question of tools. l know they all have to be spotless and Sean has pretty much worked out whats worth taking etc but it has raised a pain in the bum query. Do we sent the tools out with all our other stuff before we go so that it arrives around the same time as us therefore not without it all for long after arrival but cant work here as no tools! or do we send them out with other stuff at same time as us so have to buy new tools to get by in Oz till they arrive a couple of months later - thats assuming he gets a job quickly once there.

thanks again

Lyn and Sean

Guest fatpom
no offence Fat Pom

am gonna adjust OH's cv in the hope that it makes sense for the aussies (C & G qualifcations etc) so that he can apply for some via that site.

Lyn and Sean

No offence taken:biglaugh:

In my last job (project management) we worked on the following rates for tradesmen: $40/hr fitters/welders/boilermakers, Sparkies $60/hr & Plumbers $80/hr so plumbers do OK. These are approx contract rates for mechanical services type work... construction could be different? By Australian standards construction trades are very well paid its probably all about supply & demand which I suspect is why construction trades seem well represented in the migrant quotas?

Not sure what you mean about the Health & safety brigade thing but I was shocked to hear the statistic that in construction & manufacturing industries there is a death every second day & a serious injury every 9 mins. Its easy to see why, Australia is behind the UK (but ahead of Japan). Its frustrating because usually a few dollars of time or equipment would eliminate many deaths. In fairness they are trying to improve but there needs to be a generational change in management.

Getting the quals verified or at least equating them to aussie quals on your CV is a very good idea.

Hi ya fatpom (haven't you got a nicer name?:))

Without question health and safety is a serious issue in construction and needs to be addressed however in the UK these days we seem to have the most amazing ability to go completely over the top, commonsense just doesnt apply. We've ended up with so many rules and regulations enforced by people on some kind of power 'kick' that it causes huge resentment. We can only hope that in Oz they learn by our mistakes :err:.

$80 per hour - bloody hell! now that would be nice :swoon: In the UK l think the average hourly rate in our area is £25 so not much difference however out of that we have to pay collosal public liability ins (never claimed but still monstrously high), high cost of van purchase, service charges, running costs and diesel, rip off charges for CORGI gas training every five yrs along with annual renewal fee and shed loads of hours lost on crap materials that are impossible to fit and/or dont work. Actual earnings out of the £25 ph become more like £8/10. Thats my moan over for today, sorry bout that! If its the same in Oz then at least we'll be able to chill out with a tinnie on the beach/in the warmth etc!

Now if we can only sell our house, we shall be over ready to give it a shot!

Thanks for confirming bout equating UK C & G quali's to oz ones btw.

Lyn and Sean

Hi ya fatpom (haven't you got a nicer name?:))

Without question health and safety is a serious issue in construction and needs to be addressed however in the UK these days we seem to have the most amazing ability to go completely over the top, commonsense just doesnt apply. We've ended up with so many rules and regulations enforced by people on some kind of power 'kick' that it causes huge resentment. We can only hope that in Oz they learn by our mistakes :err:.

$80 per hour - bloody hell! now that would be nice :swoon: In the UK l think the average hourly rate in our area is £25 so not much difference however out of that we have to pay collosal public liability ins (never claimed but still monstrously high), high cost of van purchase, service charges, running costs and diesel, rip off charges for CORGI gas training every five yrs along with annual renewal fee and shed loads of hours lost on crap materials that are impossible to fit and/or dont work. Actual earnings out of the £25 ph become more like £8/10. Thats my moan over for today, sorry bout that! If its the same in Oz then at least we'll be able to chill out with a tinnie on the beach/in the warmth etc!

Now if we can only sell our house, we shall be over ready to give it a shot!

Thanks for confirming bout equating UK C & G quali's to oz ones btw.

Lyn and Sean

Good moan took the strain out of my fingers.

may I add (In response to Fat Pom as well)

$80 how much of that does the plumber get? the Firm may earn that much not the plumber. And conpair that to a Dentist, a Solicitor an accountant A project manager. I agree with you about Health and saftey one point why we should be paid more. Is there an industry that had a higher death rate than the construction industry. I have on average 2 weeks off a year due to bad back (Unpaid). Tools have to be renewed constantly and serviced. Decent work clothing cost more than the average siuit and Tye.

I would say more but the libary is closing last call.

Got to go bye

John.

I'm enjoying this moaning - good to get it off our chests lol! :biglaugh:

Just re-read you first post and saw that you have bought new tools instead of bringing over, Sean is considering seeing how much to fly the most regularly used stuff over as excess baggage maybe, whether its cost effective or not but we'll see.

If you dont mind us asking, is the $30 ph on a provisional or full licence? (PM us if you would prefer). Also aware that there are some private companies that offer the training to get a full licence (rather than going down the TAFE route where there are possibly long waiting lists), any ideas on this?

Sean is currently sub contracting to British Gas until we finally come over, ironically they are paying more than he can earn on his own jobs and he doesnt have to spend evenings pricing jobs he knows he probably isnt going to get! and British Gas are charging customer around twice what he would charge :arghh:.

Instead he can be at home, moaning bout crap on telly whilst its cold damp and miserable outside - in the Summer! hehe

Big thanks again for keeping in touch, specially as you are going to local library to feed your addiction! Am sure my OH would love to catch up with you for a tinnie when we come over!

Lyn and Sean

Guest KP Nuts

All ya seem to do is moan, you want to try an work outside properly like us roofers, no cushy indoor roofs for us everything is outside, yes ok i wont strip a roof or do cement work when rain or Very cold weather is imminent but there is plenty more i can be doing an if i'm lucky, an i must stress IF, i might have a little timber work in the loft to do to warm up, ( well thats if the plumber turned up ) an ya never know if i do go inside i might even get asked if i'd like a cup o tea, ( no sugar ta ) . :arghh:

NO come on all jokes aside i find your thread very informative an now i'm wondering wether all s/e trades would fall to the same hiccups, ie, tools, i mean you think about it the most valuable tools you probably have are the biggest or heaviest one's, so to reply to 1 post i would guess take your hand tool's which are your best friends, (guys will know this, as she just puffed in my ear) and send rest with your main shipment.

An if there are any roofers out in OZ already who would like to answer me who could possibly be reading this, Gimme ya best shot.

Just my thought's, Mr KP Nut :twitcy:

Guest fatpom
Good moan took the strain out of my fingers.

may I add (In response to Fat Pom as well)

$80 how much of that does the plumber get? the Firm may earn that much not the plumber. And conpair that to a Dentist, a Solicitor an accountant A project manager. I agree with you about Health and saftey one point why we should be paid more. Is there an industry that had a higher death rate than the construction industry. I have on average 2 weeks off a year due to bad back (Unpaid). Tools have to be renewed constantly and serviced. Decent work clothing cost more than the average siuit and Tye.

I would say more but the libary is closing last call.

Got to go bye

John.

Don't worry about a bit of a moan :biglaugh: I wasn't having a go at you.

You're right that an employee will get less than half of that $80, nothing new there. Tradesmen can't compare themselves to Dentists, Lawyers, Accountants etc. they're classed as professionals we're not. We sit somewhere between professionals & labourers in the pecking order and I for one am bloody grateful I got a trade. As for project managers they only get well paid if they've got degrees etc. In fact the tradesmen I hire (for a business) earn as much & often more than I do for the same hours. I just enjoy running big projects & know how to do it. Must admit I sometimes wonder if I wouldn't be better off on the tools again but its been such a long time :unsure:

I'm enjoying this moaning - good to get it off our chests lol! :biglaugh:

Just re-read you first post and saw that you have bought new tools instead of bringing over, Sean is considering seeing how much to fly the most regularly used stuff over as excess baggage maybe, whether its cost effective or not but we'll see.

If you dont mind us asking, is the $30 ph on a provisional or full licence? (PM us if you would prefer). Also aware that there are some private companies that offer the training to get a full licence (rather than going down the TAFE route where there are possibly long waiting lists), any ideas on this?

Sean is currently sub contracting to British Gas until we finally come over, ironically they are paying more than he can earn on his own jobs and he doesnt have to spend evenings pricing jobs he knows he probably isnt going to get! and British Gas are charging customer around twice what he would charge :arghh:.

Instead he can be at home, moaning bout crap on telly whilst its cold damp and miserable outside - in the Summer! hehe

Big thanks again for keeping in touch, specially as you are going to local library to feed your addiction! Am sure my OH would love to catch up with you for a tinnie when we come over!

Lyn and Sean

Hello

The reason why Left all my tools at home and brought all my tools hear is because (All sit down I'm going to tell you a storie.)

"My Uncle come back home from canada because his Dad was Dying. He stayed with his dad has long had he could but had to go home to keep the money coming in before his dad died. It broke his heart that even thoe his Dad was still alive he knew he would never see him again.

So being a underpaid plumber as I'am I could work and earn and not have to worry about the bills If & when the day comes and I have to go home (I can't say it)

Thats it the last call got to go again.

Lyn & Sean & Fat Pom (Can we call you by name feel like I'm being rude) I'll get back to you. Can you not agree with me please Fat pom I need some one to moan at. I'm a Proffesional plumber and should be classed along with Accountants IT buff's and Dentists Ect. Imagine a country without Accountants? Then Imagine A Country without fresh drinking water and Sanitation? mmmm

That really was the last call Bye

Guest jonseywife
Hello

I'm a Proffesional plumber and should be classed along with Accountants IT buff's and Dentists Ect. Imagine a country without Accountants? Then Imagine A Country without fresh drinking water and Sanitation? mmmm

EEErrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.................. your sooo right Essex Boy!!!!!!!!

Im always moaning about plumbers being underated & underpaid. My OH's favourite drill broke and cost £500 to replace it... let alone all the other tools!!! Also his ACS stuff runs out soon so that another couple of grand to renew it all (let alone Corgi reg. and puiblic liability insurance) I dont think any other trade has to lay out sooo much money before they can earn a living!!!!!..... and then people moan about plumbers prices...... :arghh:!!!!

Sorry, thats my moan out of the way............

John, can I ask, did you have to get your ARTC (Australian Recognised Trade Certificate)..... Ive been trying to find out about this, but keep getting passed to pillar from post.... do Plumbers actually need it, as the have to get resistered and licenced anyway???? Hope you can tell me as Im confused :unsure:!!!!

Hope things are going a little better now............ how did you get on with that interview the other day????????

Sally-ann x :wub:

Guest bigjez

hi every one my name is jez and my wife is called jo im a plumber and just passed my tra cant apply for visa until aug 7th because been out of game for a while and need 12 mths in current job sold our house so moving into inlaws but they are going to oz in oct for 6 mths so empty house. we have family over there and my brother goes in nov in police any advice would be good thanks.

Guest Stu:0

Hello guys and srry to butt in! im a spark leaving for oz in 2 weeks. Me and the girlfriend are shipping nothing but our clothes. We'v got 60kg baggage allowence each. 30kg in each bag. One of my bags is my best hand tools. Iv gone through everything picking out my best gear and my new drill, batteries, charger. I guess i will have to buy some new gear when we get there but i think if your gona be working for a company im sure there will be bigger hand tools provided.

I did get a quote to ship a t chest 25kg worth by sea(6 weeks) door to door and it was just over £100 so that maybe an idea for some of you guys.

Stu

Hello guys and srry to butt in! im a spark leaving for oz in 2 weeks. Me and the girlfriend are shipping nothing but our clothes. We'v got 60kg baggage allowence each. 30kg in each bag. One of my bags is my best hand tools. Iv gone through everything picking out my best gear and my new drill, batteries, charger. I guess i will have to buy some new gear when we get there but i think if your gona be working for a company im sure there will be bigger hand tools provided.

I did get a quote to ship a t chest 25kg worth by sea(6 weeks) door to door and it was just over £100 so that maybe an idea for some of you guys.

Stu

Thanks for that Stu

Who have you got 60kg baggage allowance with? thats amazing.

Also Mr KP Nuts, think my OH agrees, hand tools in baggage (excess or otherwise) and rest with shipment, either way - no tools here for a while or no tools there for a while its a pain :wacko: but no matter. Just looking forward to getting there and underway.

Not gonna moan but plumbing hardships anymore (today anyway hehe)

Lyn

EEErrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.................. your sooo right Essex Boy!!!!!!!!

Im always moaning about plumbers being underated & underpaid. My OH's favourite drill broke and cost £500 to replace it... let alone all the other tools!!! Also his ACS stuff runs out soon so that another couple of grand to renew it all (let alone Corgi reg. and puiblic liability insurance) I dont think any other trade has to lay out sooo much money before they can earn a living!!!!!..... and then people moan about plumbers prices...... :arghh:!!!!

Sorry, thats my moan out of the way............

John, can I ask, did you have to get your ARTC (Australian Recognised Trade Certificate)..... Ive been trying to find out about this, but keep getting passed to pillar from post.... do Plumbers actually need it, as the have to get resistered and licenced anyway???? Hope you can tell me as Im confused :unsure:!!!!

Hope things are going a little better now............ how did you get on with that interview the other day????????

Sally-ann x :wub:

HELLO JONSEY

i HAVE NO LICENCE YET IT TAKES A WHILE BUT AS i'M WORKING FOR A FIRM i CAN WORK ON HIS LICENCE. i WILL FEEL YOU IN MORE SOON.

JOHN

PS KEEP THE MOANING UP WE CAN COURSE A REVELUTION.

Archived