A trip in the UK ,i thoroughly recommend

bunbury61

Yesterday , through work i had a job in North Wales ( prestatyn ) . I took the early route up the M6 , off at the Chester turn M56 ..i think .

Thats not the recommendation :wink:

I then had a job near Llanberis ( stunning) snowdonia ,and my last visit was in Chepstow right at the bottom corner of Wales on the English border .

Set the sat nav 3.47 mins .......202 motorway miles .

I sat there and thought SOD THIS iam going " NON MOTORWAY" .......4hrs 30 mins .....171 miles .

With all that scenery ahead it was a no brainer

Well what can i say mountains , rivers , humpback bridges, pubs, towns ,villages...........Beddgelert ....builth Wells ....Rhayader.....Brecon ......snow still on the high ground ......i was like Judith Chalmers.

I thoroughly recommend it to any Aussie visitors or Poms coming home .

DO YOURSELVES A FAVOUR ,FILL THE CAR UP AND GO DO IT .GET OFF THE BLOODY MOTORWAYS ,ESPECIALLY THE M6,M1 CORRIDOR

If this was in the U.S , they would be writing songs about it .:biglaugh:

Who in a previous post mentioned the Bristol area ........Chepstow is just over the bridge ......nice place

I couldn't agree more...went to the Wye Valley......passed Chepstow railway station, stayed in a hotel opposite Tinturn Abbey, it was absolutely beautiful........... I'm just thinking when was that?, just scared the bejesus out of me was 1989!!!! ... Bl***y hell where did that time go. I hope the next couple of years, while I'm waiting for my visa, go as quick.

Su

Guest tracyinsydney

We are returning home in 2 weeks and you have just described my favourite part of the country. No one can match Wales for stunning scenery

Know what you mean about UK motorways, I always, avoid them if I'm not in a rush. We lived in Cardiff before coming to Aus and that was one of our favourite drives. Tintern Abbey, great Sunday lunch in the hotel opposite the abbey, Chepstow, and into the Wye valley. Would return the long way round via Brecon and down through the valley. I am going back to UK to visit family in 2 weeks time. This time to another beautiful part of the country Devon and Cornwall. Family in both. I will drive down from Heathrow, picking up A303 through Dorset, Somerset then through Honiton on to Newton Abbot, stopping for lunch on the way in one of the small Dorset villages. I know it is much longer but I will be on holiday so what is the rush. Beautiful contryside. 4 weeks in UK then back home to Tugun on the southern end of Gold Coast.

Rita

We are returning home in 2 weeks and you have just described my favourite part of the country. No one can match Wales for stunning scenery

But Tracey you are returning to Brum ......Bournville maybe .......but the rest of it ?

Iam by the way a Brummie ,and proud of it .......but i aint stupid .

Come home ......you will love it !

Bromsgrove?......Droitwich ? .....Solihull?....AND THOUSANDS OF OTHER PLACES

Guest tracyinsydney

Sutton Coldfield is where i'm from originally. OH might have job in Solihull when we get back though.

Sutton Coldfield is where i'm from originally. OH might have job in Solihull when we get back though.

TBH i much prefer Solihull to Sutton c .......but thats just personal choice .

The new shopping centre is top notch .....and 5 mins you can be heading out into the sticks

Anyone been through the Dalveen pass? It's on the A702 and connects South west Scotland with the M74 if going north to Edinburgh / Glasgow. It is stunning. There is a waterfall half way that you can stop and climb up. The scenery is breathtaking.

Archived