Gas fitter/General plumber

Guest cedwards1982

Guest humpy

I dont want to sound negative but they often require a full apprenticship for visas, they dont usually recognise on the job training. You say you have City & Guilds., this should stand you in good stead. I got asked about mine, I did a short apprenticship with British Gas and they were a bit picky with it, I didnt matter in the long run as my wife got sponsorship as a nurse so it didnt matter what I did. Good Luck with it

Hi I couldn't help notice the problem all of you were in.... I have a idea that the majority of you should consider.

Now the TRA make it able for you to recognise your UK plumbing qualifications, basically you studied in the UK and you can simply transfer your qualifications with out hassle. If you have ccn1, ACS and all the rest like controls etc this is the best way forward for you but there is a simpler route. If you have worked as a plumber for 4 years in the UK, even if you were a gas engineer or something and can PROVE you worked as a general plumber for four years like I know most of you can then simply apply for your Australian trades persons plumbing license based on the experience you have and forget about your qualifications. If you can prove four years plumbing experience then you can apply for you trades license as a competent person.... the difference is;

- $210 fee rather than $2500

-No long wait to be assessed

-you can apply for sponsorship/PR as soon as you have got it

-When you have you basic plumbing license you can apply for GAS simply and easy

-Get work in a few weeks rather than months/years

One thing to consider the wages for a decent enough PLUMBER are the same as a simple GAS MAN in the UK so it will give you a good start to the way of Auss.

If any fellow plumbers have any questions post them here or IM me.

Sounds just like the VETASSESS route for 99% of Us Mate..

Cheers NIck.

:idea:

Hi, My boyfriend and I are in the process of beginning the visa process. The problem is should he apply as a gas fitter or plumber? In the UK his job title is heating engineer and plumber. But the majority of his work is as a gas fitter. He hasn't done an appreticeship but trained on the job and has 10 years experience. He is GasSafe registered and has all the relevant City and Guilds certificates. My main question is should he apply as a gas fitter or plumber? Thanks.

Hi There your OH will need to go down the VETASSESS Route.

Good Luck. Nick..:jimlad:

• 4 weeks later...
Hi guys and girls, Here in Melbourne you have to jump through alot of hoops now since jan 1st and dont let anyone tell you different and it dosnt matter what qualifications you have, Me and a few pommy freinds here are all in the same boat, we are working as you will be given some bits of registration after sitting a few exams but if you want your license forget it! you now have to sit more exams and a level 4 business course which im doing from home, Ive been a plumber gas engineer for 17yrs also worked for BG have certificates coming out of my ears and Im still jumping through hoops.

Ronnie

hi ronnie im a plumber from uk and will be over to melbourne in november. sounds like am gonna have hard time to get a license. i was thinking of applying while over here!do u think this would be a waste of time and money? what about registration? i heard i need this to work no matter what! i keep gettin so many different stories so any info would great!!

cheers charlie

Be warned, Vetasses just gets you into the country, it doesn't get you a licence, well in Queensland anyway, the best you can get is a provisional plumbers licence, you HAVE to go to TAFE for 8-10 months 2 nights a week to get full licence. I'm going throught the applications for TAFE now so know this is correct, approx cost is about $3000

Guest rfdevere
Be warned, Vetasses just gets you into the country, it doesn't get you a licence, well in Queensland anyway, the best you can get is a provisional plumbers licence, you HAVE to go to TAFE for 8-10 months 2 nights a week to get full licence. I'm going throught the applications for TAFE now so know this is correct, approx cost is about $3000

I think you guys need to listen up seriously, am kinda sick of saying it. . . . I work in perth as a plumber and have done for 6 months, i had only city and guilds and a nvq l2 from the uk. . . .

My qualifications didnt help one bit though.

Why are you all trying to get assesed by vet and tra? ? ? Just apply for the state license and get it.! Its simple, go on line, find the 'plumbers licensing board in wa, qld, nsw etc' and download the application pdf. Then get referances for 4 years of PLUMBING WORK NOT GAS. Send the app form, the cash, refferences from the uk if u like all u need is a postal address or a care of address!

Then you go on a 6 hour day at tafe/tech college.

You are now a plumber DAMN!

Right now you apply for your gas as a competent person, u guessed it your competent because damn your a state licensed plumber.

You can use your trades license in your visa app too.

RECAP

License application = 225 dollars, tafe course = 500 dollars

Guest rfdevere

Please listen to my humble words of wisdom, most of you are making big mistakes! Why even apply for residency straight away? Why not go the 457 route, spend the 4000 pound on living the dream straight away!

Get a working holiday if under 30, get a rental, get your plumbing license, apply ONSHORE for your sponsorship.

You and a partner can work, have a happy life, bring kids in and f u c k off living in squaler and getting paid 14 an hour if your lucky.

When i was in the uk qualified plumbers were working for 8 an hour you get the equivilent wage of 12 an hour just for work at mcdonalds over here! And 28 aud is the going rate for a plumber.

My biggest advice so far is be humble. They dont care if youve had 30 years working for british gas, your now an imigrant and people from khasakstan and africa are all infront of you in a que and they probably have major experience too, allas your all in the same bag now.

Guest rfdevere

Nah i did it the hard way, i came here for a holiday and couldnt believe how everything worked. As a 'tradie' you are king here, if you own your own business your laughing and making 100,000+ aud profit a year, if you work for someone your very comfortable. That old fashioned get my head down and someone will notice attitude still remains here and has gone in the uk i think.

I got desperate one day and took a working holiday visa, thinking that will be a good chance to get started, i found it to be ample.

Australia thrives on migrants and if you want a rewarding life go get it, its not what you see on tv under the sea and sand and coral reef home and away crap is a rich affluent country where 21 year olds have mortgages - and there positive equity!, women do pilates and other equally quaint hobbys and if you boast about having a jet ski your weird because every one your telling probably has a boat.

I see this post as giving something back to a struggling country of decent people that are constantly screwed.

I do ramble on but its only because i spent my early years in a council estate in huddersfield. Strugling, getting robbed, broke. And one day i found paradise wasnt impossible. I had a few hundered quid sold some possesions for a few hundered more and got on a plane. I had a hard few months but after 4 or so am on the otherside and have constant smile. If you guys can sell a car etc or have assets then what are you waiting for?

Guest rfdevere
My problem and I think is a problem for other tradies is that I am over 30 and I cannot get a working holiday visa, if I could then problem sorted, I would be on a plane tomorrow. You are right about this country though it is screwed and getting worse !

Depends how your fixed, if you have a partner and kids such cavalier plans are more risky but you could do most of the paper work from the uk. You could start your plumbing licence application from the uk, come here on a 90 day holiday visa then extend this to 180 days for a extra tenner! 6 months in auss would be enough to arrange a sponsor? If its not just goto nz or bali for a week and come back for 90 days? What i want you to realise is that if you have serious assets and a family then full migration is defo the best and safest way to come here, if your willing to be flexible, work the odd cash job and have a flutter then living in auss is only a ticket away

Nah i did it the hard way, i came here for a holiday and couldnt believe how everything worked. As a 'tradie' you are king here, if you own your own business your laughing and making 100,000+ aud profit a year, if you work for someone your very comfortable. That old fashioned get my head down and someone will notice attitude still remains here and has gone in the uk i think.

I got desperate one day and took a working holiday visa, thinking that will be a good chance to get started, i found it to be ample.

Australia thrives on migrants and if you want a rewarding life go get it, its not what you see on tv under the sea and sand and coral reef home and away crap is a rich affluent country where 21 year olds have mortgages - and there positive equity!, women do pilates and other equally quaint hobbys and if you boast about having a jet ski your weird because every one your telling probably has a boat.

I see this post as giving something back to a struggling country of decent people that are constantly screwed.

I do ramble on but its only because i spent my early years in a council estate in huddersfield. Strugling, getting robbed, broke. And one day i found paradise wasnt impossible. I had a few hundered quid sold some possesions for a few hundered more and got on a plane. I had a hard few months but after 4 or so am on the otherside and have constant smile. If you guys can sell a car etc or have assets then what are you waiting for?

:laugh: My Wife has got the assests mate...

**** though i will try the online application for the WA Provisional licence.

the only thing stopping me at the mo is the bloody states not getting out there SMP, i cant even bloody well apply for WA SS yet....:arghh:

Let Alone the Bloody 176 visa.

Good posts RFDEVERE..

How mush work is out there in Wa, keep hearing lots of different talk of loads and none...

Keep in Touch.. Nick....

I think you guys need to listen up seriously, am kinda sick of saying it. . . . I work in perth as a plumber and have done for 6 months, i had only city and guilds and a nvq l2 from the uk. . . .

My qualifications didnt help one bit though.

Why are you all trying to get assesed by vet and tra? ? ? Just apply for the state license and get it.! Its simple, go on line, find the 'plumbers licensing board in wa, qld, nsw etc' and download the application pdf. Then get referances for 4 years of PLUMBING WORK NOT GAS. Send the app form, the cash, refferences from the uk if u like all u need is a postal address or a care of address!

Then you go on a 6 hour day at tafe/tech college.

You are now a plumber DAMN!

Right now you apply for your gas as a competent person, u guessed it your competent because damn your a state licensed plumber.

You can use your trades license in your visa app too.

RECAP

License application = 225 dollars, tafe course = 500 dollars

Thats what might happen in WA but not in Queensland, the best you can do with UK quals is to get a provisional licence, you then have to go on the licensing course which is approx $3,000 and last just short of a year, 2 nights a week. I know this as I'm on the next course. Plus I know at least 4 other guys who have had to do this. A guy at work used 10 yrs of references and the plumbing board still would only give him a provisional. The licensing course also covers your gas, I already have a full gas licence so I dont need to do this. You mention about getting sponsorship on a 457 visa, I know a few guys who have tried this but a lot of employers dont want anyone on a provisional licence, they want fully licenced guys. Some have been lucky and some have had to go back home after WHV and join the queue. Every state is different, red tape is ridiculous, especially in Queensland.

Guest rfdevere

I think an important thing is to stop all the procastinating about this plumbing thing! for instance you could get a wa state license then transfer it to qld with the interstate option? And yes this is to acheive a tradespersons license. It is issued as provisional but if you read up and do the 1 day course it will be a full TRADESPERSONS LICENSE, this is enough to get a job out here.

If your mate has ten years experience and can prove it then what is he doing? No doubt he has just followed the sheep route and did what he thought he could, i dont understand why they do it i went on my 1 day course and was speaking to people from the uk that had been there 2 months and they kicked off big, the next day i went back to my job a qualified plumber!

The full contracter license is only 4 people who want to start a business and take my advice dont run before you can walk. Work for someone first its not blighty and very different

We are employed already in the gas industry and getting the plumbing licence was just a sideline thing, well it is for me anyway. I earn as much gasfitting as I would plumbing. I never knew it was that easy to transfer from WA to Qld,

• 2 weeks later...

Well done on being a " 1 DAY QUALIFIED PLUMBER" wouldn't it be great if it was that easy.

"FOLLOW THE SHEEP ROUTE" is p... take to all the hard working applicants in the process of trying to live their dream.

You sound like a young 20something with no worries,we've all been their.

Most of us have families and responsibities and can't gamble entering a country with such a commitment and flitting state to state.

Getting into queensland at the moment for a tradie is a long process,not a 1DAY EXAM.

NEXT POST,try and be a bit more subtle

Hi all,

Dont want to sound negative but beaware of the challenge's to become a gas fitter/plumber in Victoria. Been in Vic now for seven months and really struggling for work. The work is total diffrent so exchange your pipe cutters for a shovel and tin snips. The process of converting your UK qualifications here is long and expensive.

Anyone with job opportunities or advise for struggleing pom to find work would be much appreciated.

Archived