Quoll

Guest destinationoz

I'm here! I wake up earlier than my olds and so get time to check emails and such stuff (otherwise have to boot the olds off as they love playing patience and mahjonggh on it!).

Flight over was just fine - Qantas A380 to Singapore from Melbourne and the BA 747 to LHR. Both were perfectly OK - the airbus had one u/s loo but the (predominantly) male staff were superb (I dont like fussers). The BA flight was packed and my only beef was that they gave us waffles and croissants for brekkie - I would have killed for bacon and egg. I actually found the 747 more comfortable to sleep in, maybe because of the head rests. Didnt have much luck with the movies on either flight, there were loads of them but none of my genre that I hadnt alread seen - I would like to know how "He's just not that into you" ends though:biglaugh: Flying over London was crystal clear and we went right over Tower Bridge and you could track your way up the river, it was awesome.

Getting out of LHR was a breeze, the backpack was there almost before I was (think I beat it by 30 seconds) and I walked straight out and onto a tube which left almost immediately. I arrived at Liverpool St 10 mins before the once an hour train left for Cambridge which calls at my parents' village and so I was having a cuppa at their place by 8.30.

I have had one trip to Waitrose - gobsmackingly awesome selection of stuff, most of which I would never need but a few gems that I did require! The lady at the check out was nicely chatty as was the girl at Tescos when I went to find a hot water bottle (dont the Poms do hot water bottles any more? I had to go to Boots to find one!). Have also caught up with my aunt and uncle - sitting looking out onto the snowdrops in their garden as the snow came down.

Yesterday was shopping in Cambridge with my mum who needs a wheelie walker to get around and she did very well as we did a big loop of the town. Shopping was awesome especially as I needed a new pair of shoes - mine broke on the trip somewhere. She got free parking for being a blue badge holder but the parking in central Cambridge did make me gulp a bit - reminder to take mum with me if I ever need to park in town! I even managed to get O2 to bolt on some internet access for a ridiculously low recharge price.

It's my dad's birthday today so we are going out to lunch (again!) and I will be heading up to see DS1 in Yorkshire maybe tomorrow or Friday all depending on the weather.

Lovely to wake up in the mornings without being Koelled all night and screeched to death at 6am - no jet lag either!

I am feeling really relaxed which is great because I havent felt this laid back in months and havent given work a single thought. Missing the DH though of course.

Guest The Pom Queen

Quoll, what a lovely post, it is so easy to see where you heart is.

No more hot water bottles they have central heating these days.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Kate

Guest destinationoz

You make the UK sound so idyllic Quoll!!!

But then Cambridge has probably got more to offer than most other dreary cities we are all trying to escape!!

Seriously thou - I am really glad you're having such a wonderful time - here's to it continuing!! ...

You make the UK sound so idyllic Quoll!!!

But then Cambridge has probably got more to offer than most other dreary cities we are all trying to escape!!

Seriously thou - I am really glad you're having such a wonderful time - here's to it continuing!! ...

LOL you dont have to move to the other side of the world to get away from dreary cities! And arent all cities dreary to some extent, I only like them for a bit of a change!

Yesterday we had an excellent carvery lunch in a very nice restaurant in a nice bright atrium for £5 per head (now that really is cheap!!!!) for Dad's birthday. We followed that up with a trip to Anglesey Abbey to see the snowdrops - absolutely brilliant weather, it was cool but sunny and the snowdrops fairly bounced around in their enjoyment. Sadly I shall miss the daffs this year but plan on a return trip to Anglsey Abbey later on in my trip and will take a wheelchair for the mum cos she is a bit of a tottery old slowcoach these days!

Not sure what to do today - up to Yorkshire or delay that until tomorrow??? Ah decisions decisions!

Glad that you are having a good time! If you head to Yorkshire, Mark said they are predicting snow there today!

Ah thanks! I need to be there tomorrow anyway as am catching up with the DS and it is just a matter of whether I go today or tomorrow. If I can find a hotel for tonight I might head off later today.

Guest destinationoz

You do sound happy Quoll!! I'm really glad you're enjoying it and this freezing weather isn't dampening spirits! Keep on having fun!

Nah, it's all good!

Drove up to Durham yesterday through about 50 miles of snow storm but it is snow free up here at the mo. Caught up with the DS last night and we had dinner in a great restaurant in Darlington. He had Aussie prawns just to keep the side up! Got woefully lost in central Darlington but found the restaurant in the end. Catching up with Durham family today, trawling a few strategic churchyards for genealogy research then going back to DS place for the weekend before heading across the Penines to Settle to catch up with another long time friend.

Never thought I would become a Little Chef fan but with free wifi I can be a fan of almost anywhere!!!!

Damart thermals definitely needed today!!!!

Archived