First time UK passport for Aussie born there

Guest stewmelb

Guest stewmelb

Hi everyone,

Just found this forum and really hoping I can get some answers to questions about applying for my first UK passport as the official documents don't make it that clear.

I was born in the UK in 1976, have full Australian citizenship, never married. Have been living here since i was 4 or so and plan to go back there mid year to live for a while.

On the document I have to fill out, the C1 form seems to only need section 1a which is my details completed (other than the counter signature/emergency contacts etc obviously). I'm not naturalised as British citizen at all either so there is nothing to put in that section. Does this sound right?

Also it also asks about previous passports. Does this include my Australian one? Should I send that to the British High Commission when I apply?

If anyone who has been in the same situation as me and could share what they had to do it would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Stewart

Hi everyone,

Just found this forum and really hoping I can get some answers to questions about applying for my first UK passport as the official documents don't make it that clear.

I was born in the UK in 1976, have full Australian citizenship, never married. Have been living here since i was 4 or so and plan to go back there mid year to live for a while.

On the document I have to fill out, the C1 form seems to only need section 1a which is my details completed (other than the counter signature/emergency contacts etc obviously). I'm not naturalised as British citizen at all either so there is nothing to put in that section. Does this sound right?

Also it also asks about previous passports. Does this include my Australian one? Should I send that to the British High Commission when I apply?

If anyone who has been in the same situation as me and could share what they had to do it would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Stewart

Were your parents British citizens when you were born? Do you have your birth certificate - my reading of C1 is that you need to give them evidence of your citizenship at 1b aka your birth certificate as you were registered at birth but it isnt clear. You may have had a passport but I think it more likely that (being of an age with my sons) you were listed on your mum's passport for your arrival here. You will have to provide your original birth certificate with your application as well.

You dont send it to the British High Commission any more either, you take it along to your friendly Australia Post Office and they will interview you and send it off for you. You can always ask them if you need to put your birth cert info in 1b anyway.

Hi Stew,

Mine was similar to yours. Born in the UK 1971, moved to Oz when I was 3. Not an Aussie citizen but I am a permanent resident. I just got my first british passport. Filled out C1. Provided a copy of my full UK birth certificate and a copy of my parents passport which is what I came to Oz on. You need to tell them if you are included in/on any travel documents, so I guess your australian passport counts. Had my appointment at the Aus post office on Elizabeth St in Melbourne on xmas eve 2009. Got my passport back last Tuesday. It's very straight forward if you were born there before 1983.

And yes, you are not a naturalised Brit, you are a British Citizen so you tick NO for that question.

Cheers

Matt

Guest stewmelb

Thanks both, especially Matt, its good to hear from someone with a similar background, especially with a successful application under your belt.

Luckily I do have my birth cert, so thats sorted. I'll talk to the folks and see if they still have the passport we came back to Australia with. Should be ok.

I was a bit unsure how much Aus post would help out, as the forms do say they can't provide any help about eligibility etc, but if they interview me then hopefully they can ensure everything is in order before it goes off.

Cheers

Stewart

Hi Stew.

Auspost can't and wont answer any questions about your passport or immigration. It is solely their job to check ID and make sure you have all the required forms before they send your application off to be processed. The woman who did mine was faily clueless and said she hasn't done many UK passports and had me double check everything she was doing. I was surprise it made it to and from in one piece. Mind you, my birth certificate looked like it had been screwed up and stuffed in someone's sock for a week by the time I got it back... it was pristine when auspost sent it off. :)

Good luck with it, you'll be fine.

Matt

Archived