Darwin - too expensive?

hope2

Hi all

Have recently been told that there is a very high chance of being able to secure employment in NT whilst still living here in UK. Haven't ever considered Darwin before (images of going troppo, crocs and lots of rain!) but researched a bit and it's starting to sound challenging but exciting. However - the rent seems a bit of a joke. From what I can see you need to set aside $400-$500 pw for an average 3 bed home :swoon:

Now there was me thinking no one really wanted to go to NT therefore the rent would be fair price - seems I was wrong.

Can anyone give me some idea whether an income of around $80k AUD would be enough for a family of 4 renting somewhere near Darwin.

Thanks!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi and welcome,

i personally wouldn't want to live in Darwin from what i have seen on wanted down under it looks ok, but!!!!!!! it seems far away from everywhere and its very hot and humid-tropical and loads of creepy crawlies and it looks a bit like deliverance country, i hope don't offend anyone, but its still looks far better than the uk and you should definately give it ago, if you don't like it try somewhere else, or you can return to the uk, if you are homesick. Also it appears quite pricey $80,000 dollars appears to be a good wage, equvalent to 40,000 pounds, so if you can afford to live on it in the uk you should be ok, whatever you decide all the best and just see it as a great adventure.

jim

Hiya :)

Not really doing anything or anywhere at the mo lol! Not massively keen on the idea of Darwin but if it comes with a relocation package - it sounds pretty good! Seems the only place that may employ OH before we go so maybe worth a try for 12 months then move on to somewhere less extreme!

Guest Aussie and Welshy

Hi there

I can probably give some insight on Darwin given I spent my first 23 years there!

In terms of affordability, it has become a lot more expensive in the last few years but it is still very affordable if you're prepared to live a bit further from the CBD. There are loads of new suburbs that have popped up with nice new houses and still within a very reasonable commuting time to the city - especially when compared with UK standards. On a salary of $80k you would definitely be able to afford a nice enough place within 30 mins drive of the CBD.

As for the city itself, the weather is great during the dry season (April-October) but not so great during the wet season. During the wet it will generally rain every day (proper storms too, not UK misty rain) and is very humid but you survive with air-con in the house, work and car. A swimming pool helps too! During the dry season it will be high 20's to low 30's but very low humidity and it just draws you into an outdoor lifestyle which I can attest is fantastic when you're a kid growing up there.

Overall, yes it's a hell of a change from the UK but there are plenty of positives. Fear not, there are no redneck families waiting to skin you alive, you'll actually find people very friendly and welcoming.

Hope that helps!

Guest guest37336

Hi hope2.

Darwin, mmmmm. Don't get me wrong, but it is a rather 'different' city. As far as the housing costs, I agree that the prices quoted on many programmes and sites are fairly realistic, but you can always hunt around and have a look. As far as going 'troppo' is concerned, 'if you cant beat them, join them'. Darwin at certain times of the year can have a very oppressive heat, but more to the point, HUMIDITY. However, having said this, you will find yourself adjusting very quickly. Just accept that there is little you can do about it and you will soon acclimatise, to a 'degree' that is. The thing to remember is this. Do as the locals do and, sllloooooowwwwwwwwwwww down. You will find that if you kick back a couple of gears in all that you do, shop, work, beach, etc, then the heat will be less oppressive. You can never beat it, but you can certainly meet it head on, and realise there is little to be done. There are some 'different' characters up there, but that is part of the charm of the place. Perth. Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, it most certainly isn't. It's Darwin and it is unique. Give it a try and see how you go. You never know you might love it and become one of the many that look upon Darwin with affection and admiration.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi A380,

The slowing down thing is no good to me my life is so slow here in the uk, for instance all day today i have posted on PIO- rather sad, but its horrible outside and i want to emigrate to get out and about and lose a few pounds, which will make me look a little bit like david Hassleoff, running on the beach, if its humid i won't be doing this.

jim

Guest Guest31881

I suppose the way of looking at is .... Could you live there for 12 months or 2 yrs if you did not like it.

If its a way into Australia is it worth the risk of living somewhere you may not like, (you may love it there), and then look at moving somewhere else?

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Lmao Do you want to look like The Hoff?????????????

Not really, but you look how you look, i am 6 foot 3 inch tall weighing 15 stone and i am clean shaven and have curly beaufontish hair and i do wear speedos, so unfortunately the Hoff it is, who do you lot resemble.

jim.:biggrin:

Guest guest37336
We've got visa and can work in any State - we are just trying to secure a job before moving out to make it feel a little less risky!

Hi again hope2.

The word 'risky' should always be a prerequisite when migration is discussed as a serious and viable alternative. Migration is indeed risky, or rather should be looked upon like this if we are to have a realistic overview of Australia. But, those that often take the risk and realise that the whole process of migration can be put this way are often the ones that make a happy and fulfilling life for themselves in Australia. You are NEVER going to negate all of the risk in such a venture. You can only do as much research and fact finding before you arrive. The rest you will learn when you arrive. But at least by using the word 'risk' you are aware that everything may not go according to plan.

If you can nullify as many risks as possible before you leave you stand a much better chance of making a successful transition. You may say risky, others would say sensible and educated. If you can secure a job before you go then that will make your initial entry into Australia far better. It matters not that this may be in Darwin, Sydney, Perth, etc, at the very least you are trying to do things that will help in the long run. If you can secure a job in Darwin then I would go for it. Mine is not to tell you that it is the 'right' decision. You may love the NT, or you may loath it, but at the very least you are doing all you can now, that is all you can do to help yourselves. Good luck.

I suppose with the wet and hot falling close to our seasons maybe closer to UK seasons, rubbish weather for Christmas and a long hot summer. If nothing else its a way in and you can always apply for permanent resisdent status after a while there and move wherever you fancy after a year or two

I suppose with the wet and hot falling close to our seasons maybe closer to UK seasons, rubbish weather for Christmas and a long hot summer. If nothing else its a way in and you can always apply for permanent resisdent status after a while there and move wherever you fancy after a year or two

I'm already a permanent resident - it's just the price of the rent that worries me.

Cheers, Bobj.

Thanks Bobj and all who have posted. Is there anyone who lives in Darwin who can advise if a salary of $70 - $80k would be ok for a family of 4 in the Darwin area. I've read everything is more expensive in Darwin so was wondering if that salary would be enough considering the rent is so high etc.

Cheers :notworthy:

• 1 month later...
Guest spurshutch

First post.

I have just received a job offer in Katherine with a salary of $80k+ so my questions are pretty similar to the original poster.

How can I find out if any member of this mb lives in Katherine?

Regards to all of you.

• 4 months later...
Guest mw0jrx

Hi everyone,

I am in the same possition here, just have been offered a job in Darwin (about $80k) and have few days to think about it to accept or not.

Would appreciate your oppinion. There might be 2 of us, no kids as yet.

Many thanks.

• 1 month later...
Guest tartan girl

You may find you struggle a bit on that wage in Darwin - we also are family of four and have one secure wage $70 and mine fluctuates with work availability.

I think if we already had the visa before coming to Oz we would have picked another city that is not so remote but we were sponsored and relocated to Darwin.

Good luck!

We are in a similar position, just 2 of us. At the moment only one of us has a job in NT but paying $70,000. We have lived in NZ previously so understand differences in salary v cost of living. I'm sure mw orjx it will be okay. It is just a matter of cutting your cloth, as others have said.

The previous poster said that a couple would struggle on £70000. Lots of people live comforably on that with kids-depends on lifestyle, how much cash you bring for vehicles and other costs etc.

I live in Darwin and have for nearly a year now. We are a family of 5 living on a salary of about $80k and live quite comfortably. If you are coming over on a permanent resident visa and have children you may also qualify for family assistance and rent assistance from Centrelink too.

The only problem I have with Darwin is the weather. People go on about the cool dry season and hot humid wet season, well last year there wasn't much of a wet season, just sweltering 100% humidity and the dry didn't start until 1st June and has gone already so don't believe what people say about the dry lasting from April to October, it's complete rubbish.

The UV index is awful in Darwin too, hits around 15 (extreme) in the wet season and about 10 in the dry season, not something I like being exposed to. My children spend more time indoors that they did back home!!

Guest girlwizz99

I lived in Darwin and didn't find it any more expensive that anywhere else in Australia. The main reason I would never live there again is the heat and the flies!! It is incredibly humid constantly and you just end up spending no time outdoors and dashing from air con to air con to survive. The sand flies were a huge problem too.

Archived