To bring our lovely dog or not???

Guest steffijones

Guest steffijones

Hi

We have made the huge exciting decision to move down under but are unsure if we would be doing the right thing in bringing our beautiful Golden Retriever Daisy with us. If any of you have any advice especially if you have brought your own pets with you already would really appreciate it! I'm most worried about how she would cope with the flight and quarantine and then how easy is it to rent houses there with a dog??

So many questions!!!

Hi

We have made the huge exciting decision to move down under but are unsure if we would be doing the right thing in bringing our beautiful Golden Retriever Daisy with us. If any of you have any advice especially if you have brought your own pets with you already would really appreciate it! I'm most worried about how she would cope with the flight and quarantine and then how easy is it to rent houses there with a dog??

So many questions!!!

Hi, as soon as we sell our house we are heading to the land down under. We have our visas in place already and we are taking our 2 hairey mutts with us. We have spoke to many on here all of whom say how well their dogs have adapted and coped with the flights etc.

For us, we just would not contemplate leaving them (altho at times we are very tempted), they're part of the family and where we go they go (again, at times we question this decision)

I'm sure others here will give you their opinions, some useful some not. At the end of the day you need to do what's right for you!

But i'm sure you'll get a wealth of wisdom here about your 4legged friend

Ian

Guest juliemtaylor

our 2 nearly 13yr old cats have just arrived in Melbourne quarantine courtesy of Petair Uk and Spotswood said they are happy and well and eating all their food! We will pick them up 2 daqys after we arrive so will help kids settle..

Julie x

Guest guest37336

Hello there.

I know this is going to sound very harsh, BUT. How old is your dog, and is he/she in good general health? The younger they are I would imagine they could cope a lot better. Most animals cope very well with flights, quarantine etc, so long as a reputable shipper is used! A lot will depend on the age & general health of your beloved pet. I know that sounds harsh, I apologise. Having never looked to rent with a pet, I cannot comment, but am sure other members of PIO will be able to help with this part of your question.

Hope this helps.

Guest steffijones

Thanks for all the comments so far!! Daisy is only 4 in May and in really good health so i think she would be ok and I really want to bring her with us ( especially when I look at her sad eyes!!) I just want to do the right thing for her, but again I think she would be more stressed being re-homed than putting up with the flight and quarantine and also our two boys would be devastated leaving her!! Think I've just answered myself really haven't i??!!

Claire & Ian your dogs look gorgeous! Good luck with your re-location to Melbourne, maybe see you walking the dogs one day, lol!!

Guest missvet

This is a really difficult decision to make and I really feel for you. I couldn't have left my dog behind and I spent a long time looking into taking her with me... she was 15, blind, senile and suffered from occasional seizures. Definitely NOT a candidate for the long flight and quarantine and she got so poorly that I put her to sleep in October anyway... :cry:

They generally handle the flight ok, I have heard some horror stories but very rare and they are looked after ok in quarantine (all basic needs are met but nothing more really). However there aren't people watching them overnight and if Daisy needs medication then the time at which this can be administered is very limited.

Is she pretty relaxed or does she get stressed out easily? They can get quite lonely in quarantine and don't really get the cuddles and affection they might be used to at home... A friend's dog (who was a bit of a lunatic anyway) chewed her tail to shreds from stress/boredom!

The other major factor to consider is who would look after her if she stayed behind? A friend/family member or would you have to re-home her to a stranger?

Basically (as A380 said) if Daisy is young and healthy and can deal with being apart from you for a short time in quarantine then find a good shipping company and start the ball rolling... (Jabs, blood tests etc. quite a long process)

I don't know about renting with pets but I wouldn't let that stop you taking her as I'm sure you can find somewhere which would allow her!!

You would be devastated if you left her behind and then regretted it!! :sad:

Guest missvet
Thanks for all the comments so far!! Daisy is only 4 in May and in really good health so i think she would be ok and I really want to bring her with us ( especially when I look at her sad eyes!!) I just want to do the right thing for her, but again I think she would be more stressed being re-homed than putting up with the flight and quarantine and also our two boys would be devastated leaving her!! Think I've just answered myself really haven't i??!!

Claire & Ian your dogs look gorgeous! Good luck with your re-location to Melbourne, maybe see you walking the dogs one day, lol!!

Take her!! No doubt about it!!!!!! :yes:

Guest guest37336

Hello again steffijones.

As you said I think you have answered your own question, of course with the help of PIO members. But one other point worth raising is this. Emigrating is at times one of the most stressful and agonising times any of us will ever have to endure. Wouldn't having 'Daisy' out there with you maybe make your transition easier. The last thing you want is to have all the other concerns and worries that are part of the migration 'package' a constant in your mind AND worrying about Daisy being back in the UK pining away. I'm sure at times she will be a huge comfort to you when you are having a 'bad' day. Whatever you can do to make your transition into Australia easier then I would move heaven and hell to do so.

Just a thought.

Guest TMahara

I totally agree with everyone else. We are bringing our two Yorkshire Terriers with us. We wouldn't have even contemplated going if we couldn't bring them. They are cvosting us a small fortune but they are well worth it. One of them gets very stressed with loud noises so we will worry so much when they are flying out. However we balance this with the thought that it would be so much better than having to re-home them which would cause even more stress.

I also think it will help us settle in Oz when we have our 'babies' with us, just wish we could travel in the hold with them.

Guest Angie and Tony

This thread brought a tear to my eye. We found our dog (Collie about 7 years old), 5 years ago. We posted notes all over and eventually found his owner, an old man who said he didn't have the energy to look after him anymore and said we could keep them, our kids (11 and 16 at the time) were ecstatic as they had fallen in love with him. We also had a golden retriever who loved him too but we had to give him (retriever) away, and ever since then he hasn't been the same, always looking around for his friend/brother. But we're going to have the leave him here as he's not able for much now...dont know how we'll all do it, he's part of the family but we just cant afford it :( I just hope we can find him a good home. He's such an intelligent dog. He often runs off when out for walks and we'll get home to find he's jumped the garden wall and is back in his kennel asleep...will miss him so much!

Hi there, I have answered a post like this before,

We had our German Shepherd Ellie who was 8 and had arthritis we were worried about the flight. but I could not leave her behind, We used Golden Arrows to bring her here. She got here safe and sound and had 18 glorious months in the sunshine before she died,

All I can say if finances allow its worth it.

Hope all goes ok

Christine

We have a 13 year old cat who is very healthy but timid and hates going in the cat box let alone for a noisy flight. Dropping him to Heathrow I felt sick and cried all the way back to the Midlands. We visited him once in quarantine (our little boy was so upset at having to leave him we didn't go again). The minute we bought him back to the rental we felt like our whole family were together again, 12 months on he is still going strong and has mellowed into a bit of a fuss pot. We really did agonise over bringing him, if he had had any long term illness we might have thought twice.

As ellie2 said, if you can afford it I would do it, I know there are many PIO'ers who have had to leave their pets behind and it must make things even harder.

best of luck

Michelle

Its very difficult decision and as for renting a lot of rentals do not allow pets. I would get in touch with Kate Movingtomelbourne she will be able to give you more info about pet friendly properties.

For those of you who cannot bring your pets do not feel bad, a dog or cat will bond with a new family quite quickly.

We adopted a six year old dog called "Daisy" as her owners were going to have her put down as she was difficult and they were expecting a baby. Daisy turned out to be stone deaf and that was why, she just left us late last year and she was 15 and we loved her a lot. My friend has just adopted a Jack Russell who is about 4 and he was a stray from the RSPCA and he has settled into their home so well and has a very good home. People who take adult animals are usually people who like animals. Its people who buy a pup from the pet shop on a whim while out shopping we have to worry about.

There is a lot of literature around, the problem with dogs is that spending a long time in kennels is not good for them at all as they forget and may have to house trained again.

Cats are fine a warm bed food and they are anybodies.

Guest Angie and Tony

Thanks for all the great advie everyone. We also have a cat who's only about 5months old, she was a gift for our daughter and as you can imagine has also become another member to the clann :) Honeslty cant imagine not having them both with us and would probably worry the whole trip over about them being frightened being shipped over, they wouldn't know what was going on. Hopefully with a bit of very hard saving we'll manage to get them both over with us.

Cheers,

Angie and Tony.

We brought our golden retriever out here 2 years ago (melbourne) It was the best thing we ever did, we would never have settled without him!!!

Hes 14 now and bounds around everywhere....hes amazing :) xx

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi

So many questions!!!

Please don't worry to much about the shipping, as long as your dog is fit and healthy they will be fine with the journey. Thankfully quarantine is only 30 days, if it was 6 months like the UK then I would be having reservations.

In regards to rentals, which state are you looking at heading to?

In Melbourne there are quite a few furnished short term rentals available that will accept pets. In regards to unfurnished long term rentals, when you look at the ads on realestate you will see that they state "Pets Welcome" or "No Pets" then you have 98% of the ads that will not mention pets at all, the reason behind this is that they do not want to put tenants off viewing the property and that really they are open minded.

A few things to consider is that most Australians do not have their dogs indoors like we do in the UK, so you will find that a landlord/agent may request that the dog lives outdoors.

Another point is that legally they cannot ask for a pet bond, but if you offered say an extra $500/$1000 bond on top of the requested bond they will see that you are keen and that you trust your pet will not cause any damage. See if you can get a pet reference, I have done this for quite a few clients dogs as well as doing temperament testing. Get them to mention your dog has no phobias, ie if a dog has a phobia of thunderstorms, very common in staffies/whippets etc they can cause a tremendous amount of damage to the home.

As long as you give yourself plenty of time then you should be able to get a rental no problem, in Melbourne at the minute I would allow 4 weeks.:hug:

Guest mark&robyn

Hey,

Take her!

We have been out here 8 months & brought our 3 yr old weimeraner out with us.

We used Golden Arrow Shippers, who were absolutely awesome, really nice people & great to deal with.

Lola didn't cope with quarantine that well, she lost heaps of weight. We visited 3 times a week & she did get better as time went on.

But saying all that, she settled into her new surroundings perfectly. She goes to the beach everyday, loves the sunshine & is a very happy dog!

We could not leave her & it does help you to settle in, having your dog there too!

Archived