Private Rental & Proof of Address

Woofyhugger

Hey Guys.

I am going to be living with a mate in the UK when I shift over there, a mutual friend owns the house, and the bills are already in the guys name who lives there.

If I need to prove my residential address or such to any organisation that would normally request a copy of a formal lease, do you think they'd accept a letter from my landlord?

I'll likely be in that position for the first 12 months, until I get sorted enough there to see where I want to settle and rent through a real estate or buy something of my own if I can save up enough of a deposit/get finance.

Cheers

Matt

It might for some agencies but some are more stuffy and want something formal.

If you are going to be there for a year why doesnt he add your name to the council tax bill. Very easy to do, just pop into the local council office with, him, copy of the bill and both of your ID's.

Guest mandisfam

Hi, The only problem I can see with that would be that some places require 2 forms of proof of address, which is normally in the format of a household bill. If you could get your name on the council tax, that would help you heaps.

Mandisfam

Didnt think about that, yup lots want 2 items.

Open a bank account giving his address. They will mail you introduction stuff and statements. You might be able to do this online from Aus.

Do you drive? apply for a uk licence DVLA will then send you a letter. Again you can apply online if your have a british passport Applying for a provisional driving licence : Directgov - Motoring

Archived