pension fund trasnfer

thunee71

Guest The "legdes"

Yes you can. They can go straight into a new superan fund in Oz or you can do other things too as long as the fund complies with certain regulations. There is also a possible advantage in doing this before you've been resident in Oz for 6 months as after then you are taxed on growth of any funds you hold. We have taken some advice on this...if you need a contact let me know.

Caroline

Guest Jackie Smith

Just a quick point on the previous post - You won't have to worry about the tax implications of transferring outside the 6 month period if you are on a temporary visa. As long as the transfer is completed before you get PR there will be no tax to pay on the transfer.

• 6 years later...
Hi, can someone point me to how to bring my Irish pension over to Australia? We moved here permanently 3 years ago and are looking to use my pension for a deposit on a house. Is this possible? I am "only" 44.

I think you asked this on another thread? Your first step would be to contact your Irish pension fund and ask whether it's even possible to withdraw your pension funds at your age. If you were still a resident of Ireland, you wouldn't be able to. There may be a different rule now you are a non-resident, but the pension fund will know: it makes no difference which country you now reside in, it's the same rule for all non-residents, so it's straightforward.

IF you find you can withdraw the funds, then the next question is to find out how much tax the Australian government will take on the funds transfer: be warned, it may be substantial. Some people have lost 30% of their lump sum!

Archived