vetassess costs!!!!!

clan mac

OMG help my eyes are bulging :eek::eek:

Is it just me or have the vetassess costs rocketed up?

I have just checked their website and the trade skills practical assessment and paper assessments are $2200.00 all in. This is working out at £1225.00.

We looked at moving out to Oz 2 years ago and at that time the agent quoted us £600 to sit the tests.

I know that the rules are the rules and we need to do this to satisfy part of our visa requirements but it is costly and at those kind of prices I wouldn't like my OH to fail.

He will be undertaking the test for a joiner, any advice from anyone who has undertaken this test would be appreciated.

As always ever grateful

Clan Mac x :yellow_guy_crazy_ty

OMG help my eyes are bulging :eek::eek:

Is it just me or have the vetassess costs rocketed up?

I have just checked their website and the trade skills practical assessment and paper assessments are $2200.00 all in. This is working out at £1225.00.

We looked at moving out to Oz 2 years ago and at that time the agent quoted us £600 to sit the tests.

I know that the rules are the rules and we need to do this to satisfy part of our visa requirements but it is costly and at those kind of prices I wouldn't like my OH to fail.

He will be undertaking the test for a joiner, any advice from anyone who has undertaken this test would be appreciated.

As always ever grateful

Clan Mac x :yellow_guy_crazy_ty

Hi Clan Mac,

I did the Caperntry Vetassess back in Feb 09 at Rossendale college. It was roughly around £650 but by looking like the latest costs, it certainly has rocketed.

I am a qualified Joiner over here in the UK but the Aussies seem to think differently with regards to what a Joiner or Carpenter is. I looked at the criteria for both the Joiner and Carpenter and I undertake all skills required for both on a regular basis but I chose to go with Carpenter.

I recently provided details of what I could remember from the Carpentry exam to another member of PIO. If you have an email address I would be more than happy to send it to you as its very long to post on here.

Cheers

Matt

Thanks Wolla Bolla Bing Bong

I would appreciate it very much if you could email me the info please. I will PM you our email address. (if i can work out how to PM someone, we are fairly new to PIO!)

I thought the carpentry vetassess assessment was for bench hand joiners???

Ian (my oh) is s finishing joiner. How come the 2 tests are so different?

Do you think it is worth considering the carpentry test as opposed to the joinery one?

Grateful thanks

clan mac x :notworthy:

Thats the common mistake made by most people. The definition of a joiner is normally one who is workshop based and manufactures timber structures for site...... whereas a Carpenter is normally on-site based and who constructs or installs timber structures.

This is how vetessess see's the two differences. On my apprentiship papers it states Joiner and carpenter, I worked for a company direct to them for 10 years and on my starting contract it states "to work as a joiner", but I never set foot in a workshop was on site all the time.

Seems to me the UK "wrongly" name us chipies, where as OZ have a different interpritation, so be careful !!!!.

Carlos

The joinery vetasses is for bench joiners

The carpentry vetasses if for site joiners.

Although there is a small amount of cross over on them.

Wow.......... just reading your SA SS time line.......SA SS lodged 14.09.09.SA SS approved 11.11.09....... SA are on the ball ...... applied to WA week before you and STILL waiting.............

Wow.......... just reading your SA SS time line.......SA SS lodged 14.09.09.SA SS approved 11.11.09....... SA are on the ball ...... applied to WA week before you and STILL waiting.............

are you following the wa statesponsorship thread, it will give you an idea how long others are waiting.

Hi mate if you work on site then id do carpenter test as you do hip and valley roof,saw horse, health and safety questions Im a carpenter but never done a roof apart from trusses 20 yrs ago. now work on exhibition stands so had to go as joiner. took test last year ,you have to do full size set out of door with glazed opening window in top, chop haunched mortice and tenon by hand. use machines ie rip saw, bed planer, thinesser and spindle moulder. i failed because didnt use push sticks , and didnt know some questions about machines. now brought peter brett carpentry and joinery to revise up on machines. so make sure you pick right test aswell as read up on what test youre taking. hope this helps Deano.

Hi mate if you work on site then id do carpenter test as you do hip and valley roof,saw horse, health and safety questions Im a carpenter but never done a roof apart from trusses 20 yrs ago. now work on exhibition stands so had to go as joiner. took test last year ,you have to do full size set out of door with glazed opening window in top, chop haunched mortice and tenon by hand. use machines ie rip saw, bed planer, thinesser and spindle moulder. i failed because didnt use push sticks , and didnt know some questions about machines. now brought peter brett carpentry and joinery to revise up on machines. so make sure you pick right test aswell as read up on what test youre taking. hope this helps Deano.

Hi mate i took the carpenter one as this fitted me best since i served my time on the bench as a bench hand joiner, used to work on all the machines you spoke about, when i was in the work shop it was the number one rule to use a push stick, its a wonder you have any fingers left not using the stick, our old machine guy had had taken half his little finger off by not using a push stick,

so whats your next step of the way for your visa...what stage are at.

proview

I used push stick on rip just not planer or spindle moulder, i work on exhibition stands so dont normally use planer or spindle moulder. got my retest io 4th june day before my 40th.just worrtied about setting out again as practiced , but i would normally set out door on one side of ply then set out window section on other side as when you draw together with rebate lines it would get to confusing. we will have to change our visa's to state sponsored after pass vettasses,alas nsw dont do state sponsored so got to look at other places wed like to go dependent on where they are.

Archived