Berwick to CBD commute

VictoriaP

Hi Guys,

Is there anyone out there currently doing the Berwick to CBD commute?

We are looking to settle in Berwick when we land in OZ. We are aware that some people wouldn't even think of doing a journey like that eachday, but due to Berwick's house prices, good schools etc. we are considering it.

My husband currently commutes from Milton Keynes, Bucks to Holborn, Central London for work everyday and even though it's a killer, it does allow us to have a certain standard of living we wouldn't get being closer to London. It usually takes him about an hour and a half.

Looking at the train timetable only gives you a rough idea of the time it takes and wondered if anyone can give us the reality of the journey.

Thanks for any advice. :biggrin:

Victoria

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Victoria

Berwick is lovely and your husband would not be the only one doing the commute on a daily basis. You will find in Australia people commute a fair distance and it doesn't bother them at all. I know some Australians who travel from the South East to Geelong every day, now personally I think they are mad, but it's each to their own so to speak lol.

The commute from Berwick to the CBD on the train will take you 1 hour so it's not that bad. Getting to the train station if you are travelling on Clyde Road can be a pain (depends which side of Berwick you are) but if you are close to the station it may be worth going on a bike they have 15 bike lockers last I visited and around 6 racks.

Hope this helps

Kate

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Kate,

Thanks for your reply. I think it's going to be Berwick for us, it looks lovely.

Did you get my email, I sent it to your info@ address?

Victoria

Sob no:cry: Can you send again. I always reply within 24/48 hours to all emails so if you have never heard back just scream at me on here it tends to work lol:laugh:

Berwick is lovely, I was over there last night visiting two expats and PIO members who have just settled there.

Kate

Guest wanderer
Sob no:cry: Can you send again. I always reply within 24/48 hours to all emails so if you have never heard back just scream at me on here it tends to work lol:laugh:

Berwick is lovely, I was over there last night visiting two expats and PIO members who have just settled there.

Kate

If you think Berwick is lovely now, you lot are too easily pleased!

Now 40 years ago when the pub had a cider bar in a garden shed and it was really a village environment, then you'd be talking but at least the freeway bypasses well to south of main street but it is really part of the outer suburban sprawl now.

The road transport in from there is horrendous as you have the South Gippsland Freeway and Princess Freeway joining together a few kilometres in towards the CBD and something like a two hour plus peak period, so train from Berwick or drive into Dandenong would be the way to go.

You ought to have a look at Harkaway which is a pretty rural subdivisions area only 5 km. or so north of Berwick and then all that area north and out to Upper Beaconsfield is nice and peaceful without being too far from transport options.

The road transport in from there is horrendous as you have the South Gippsland Freeway and Princess Freeway joining together a few kilometres in towards the CBD and something like a two hour plus peak period

Up until 2 years ago my OH did the commute at rush hour 5 days a week and it was around 1.5 hours. However, since then, $1.4 billion has been spent adding an extra lane each direction (so now 4 lanes on the monash to and from the city) & the introduction of intelligent traffic management system near the city. We still do numerous airport pickups at Melbourne airport at rushhour and the benefits of the upgrade are clearly apparent.

Guest wanderer
Up until 2 years ago my OH did the commute at rush hour 5 days a week and it was around 1.5 hours. However, since then, $1.4 billion has been spent adding an extra lane each direction (so now 4 lanes on the monash to and from the city) & the introduction of intelligent traffic management system near the city. We still do numerous airport pickups at Melbourne airport at rushhour and the benefits of the upgrade are clearly apparent.

Yep it was even worse Rob when they were doing the upgrades and I wasn't saying the trip itself was two hours but the peak period for traffic could be 2+, ie. getting on before 7am and it'd be chockers and to well after 9am.

A couple of experiences whilst visiting [fortunately heading out rather than in] was enough to remind me of why I had moved.

The extra lanes will be OK until the population needs another!, but also the ring road is another approach that could be used [ is the connection between eastern freeway and the Monash now complete?].

Thanks for all your reply Guys. Sorry I should of been more specific and said that my OH will be going on the train, not the hell of driving.

Also, thank you to Wanderer for your views - I guess it all depends on what you are looking for in an area and being realistic about a budget. I had a look at properties in Harkaway and the ones I found were around the £1,000,000 mark! Anyone who can afford that, I take my hat off to, they're doing alot better than us!

Hey up!!

We have been here for nearly 3 months and is going great!

Wifey drives into the city,childrens hospital either@ 6:30am or 6:00pm and it takes her 40mins!

Dont get me wrong if something happened on freeway then your be sitting there,but thats like any freeway all over the world i guess!

She ideally would like a job closer to home,but its sweet @ the mo!

We stayed in Harkaway with a lovely family in the sticks,but ya reet,your need some dollars to live there!

Where in Berwick do ya fancy living?

We are just off clyde road by coles on eden valley?!!!

Hey up!!

Wifey drives into the city,childrens hospital either@ 6:30am or 6:00pm and it takes her 40mins!

Dont get me wrong if something happened on freeway then your be sitting there,but thats like any freeway all over the world i guess!

We stayed in Harkaway with a lovely family in the sticks,but ya reet,your need some dollars to live there!

Gosh your wife must have wings, it takes my brother two hours from Upper Beaconsfield to the city. He has staggered hours but says its always a nightmare on the freeway and then twenty dollars a day parking.

Wifey goes ont he toll road,about $12 for 24hr use!

She dont really drive the rush hour,id hate a job that starts @ 9 in the city!

Like i said she leaves for work not long after 6am and drive shome around 7:30 and it takes no more then 40 mins

I drove to see melbourne victory last week @ the eithad stadium(you have to drive through other sid eof city) and set off @ 4:30 pm on saturday and it took less then 40 mins,try that in london lol

$19 onsite parking @ hossy or $6 1kilometre down road,or free on eveings and sundays.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. We've got no idea about where in Berwick we want to be. I don't know how big it is, but Wayne needs to be in cycling distance to the train station, as he'll commute that way.

We're coming over for a week in Feb as Wayne needs to go into his new office, it will also give us a chance to have a look around.

Looking forward to seeing the sun again!!

Victoria

Hey up!!

Archived