11+ in Oz??

MichelleH

Hi

I'm after some advise about whether Oz has anything like the 11+ we have here in England. Our daughter would like to go to a local Grammar school here if we have not been able to get over to Oz by the end of this year. So I was wondering if she did start having tuition for it and even took the exam and passed, whether this would be recognised in Australia? and if so what sort of schools will it allow her to go to? I have been on various Australian education websites, but can't seem to find any info.

We have submitted our appliaction for SS Victoria, and would like to live in Torquay. If anyone has any advise I'd really appreciate it, as this is a bit of a dilema for us.

Thanks, Michelle

Hi

I'm after some advise about whether Oz has anything like the 11+ we have here in England. Our daughter would like to go to a local Grammar school here if we have not been able to get over to Oz by the end of this year. So I was wondering if she did start having tuition for it and even took the exam and passed, whether this would be recognised in Australia? and if so what sort of schools will it allow her to go to? I have been on various Australian education websites, but can't seem to find any info.

We have submitted our appliaction for SS Victoria, and would like to live in Torquay. If anyone has any advise I'd really appreciate it, as this is a bit of a dilema for us.

Thanks, Michelle

As far as I am aware there is nothing like the 11+ here. In WA we have the Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) programme. Kids sit an exam in year 6 or 7 for entry in year 8 which is high school entry in WA state schools. There may be something similar in Victoria.

There are some selective High Schools in Melbourne Selective school - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for information. However it isnt like the 11+ and if they are anything like the NSW selective HS you will find a lot of Asian parents getting their kids crammed for the entrance exams. It appears that the current selective HS take kids from year 9 rather than year 7, although the Victorian Arts School does take them from year 7 but they have to be talented musicians/dancers

Archived