Southport Primary School - Gold Coast

charlene

We have been on the Gold Coast now for 7 weeks and enjoying it v.much. I need to find a good state primary school for my nearly 7 year old son. The closest school to us will be Southport Primary and I just wondered if anybody knows anything about this school - whether it is a good one to go to or whether there is any others they would recommend.

Thanks all.

Charlene

Guest woods99
We have been on the Gold Coast now for 7 weeks and enjoying it v.much. I need to find a good state primary school for my nearly 7 year old son. The closest school to us will be Southport Primary and I just wondered if anybody knows anything about this school - whether it is a good one to go to or whether there is any others they would recommend.

Thanks all.

Charlene

Firstly, let me welcome you and your family to the Gold Coast, my wife and I live at Runaway Bay. Secondly, if you have enjoyed the place during the last seven weeks, you are really going to love it during the winter!!!

Friends of ours sent their kids to Biggera Waters Primary School, and from what we have seen it is a really good place. Depends on whether you are in the catchment, of course.

Thanks for your reply Woods!! Biggera Waters is too far. It would have to be Southport Primary or maybe Benowa Primary. Just wondred if anybody's kids go to either of these two schools. We have heard some good reports about Benowa Primary... Any feedback would be great. Woods - very jealous that you live in Runaway Bay - we have driven through there a few times now and it is deffo a place we would like to live but we HAVE to be in Southport as this is where I am currently studying.

Guest woods99

I would guess that Benowa is better than Southport, just based on their catchment areas. If I can get any further info I will post it. Best of luck.

Hi Charlene, we emailed each other a while ago through here, before you arrived. Glad you have finally got here!

(Used to live in Runaway Bay too, it is lovely!)

Don't know anything about either school, just wanted to say hi; my son is 6 too, but we're up at Pacific Pines.

Jo x

Hi Jo

Thanks for saying hi. We drove to Pacific Pines a couple of weeks after arriving here. It is very hilly and like a maze... Houses look really lovely but we didn't see any bodies walking about anywhere. Is it a real place or a film set?!!! Only kidding... We don't know anybody in Oz apart from a couple of people who are NSW way and Brisbane and Sydney. Would be nice to keep in contact. How long have you been living in Oz? If you have any good advice for us please feel free to share.

Charlene

Hi Charlene,

We're also looking for a school around that area, and friends of ours have said Benowa school is good (even though theirs dont go there!) I've looked on a website that someone directed to me in respect of results, and Benowa High did quite well (seemed, quite a bit better than southport HIgh). I need to look for both schools as I have a daughter who's 7 and a son who's 12 (who I think will go back to junior school, then move back up to high school next year).

I did email Benowa primary school before xmas, but haven't had a response!! I understand you have to be in the catchment area for the schools, but I suppose it depends on what their in take numbers are at the mo, and whether they've got space. We'll be leaving here to arrive on the gold coast in about 3 or 4 weeks. Where are you living? We need to find somewhere when we arrive. I'll be working in Southport, so, will be looking at a school that will be fairly handy to that.

Let me know if you find anything further out.

Julz xx

Guest woods99

Benowa High is definitely better regarded than Southport High, a friend of ours works at Benowa High, and she is sending her daughter there rather than to Southport (she could have gone to either).

Not sure whether this says anything about the two primary schools, but I would tend to prefer Benowa Primary just on a hunch.

Hi Julz, At the moment we are living in Southport but are only in this house we are in for another week. We sorted this house out from the UK and only for a 7 week rental. We shoukd have found our long term rental last week but we were let down by one place we really liked and to be honest we have found agents here quite unhelpful when it comes to renting. If you are looking to buy you might have better luck!! It looks as thoiugh we will go for a house in the Ashmore area so now I could be looking at Benowa Primary or Bellevue Park Primary. Not sure about the catchment thing, will look into that. Schools re-open here on 27th January and they closed mid December so maybe that's why you haven't had any response to your e-mail.

Have you been to Oz before? This is our first time and so far so good, but we are surprised at how expensive certain things are compared to UK, especially second-hand cars and chocolate!!! Good luck for when you come out here and please do keep in touch. We don't know anybody and it would be good to make friends. I am here studying for 2 years and hubby is taking the role of house-wife!!! What work will you be doing?

Charlene

Hi Charlene

My brother wife and 4 kids are in Labrador until Saturday when they move to Arundel, 3 of their 4 children have been at Southport State school since January 09 and are all doing exceptionally well so don't be decieved by catchment area they are 13, 14 and 16 all love it, actually the principal is from Lincolnshire and apparently a very good one too, my Sister in law works there 1 day a week in the canteen. I can't give you their email or phone number as due too moving at the weekend the phone will be unavailable but I can tell you that my Brother works at Bicycle World Southport 78 Marine Parade, his name is Stephen I'm sure he would help you his wife apart from working at the school works at Broadwater Park Seafood Marine Parade her name is Mel.

The school apart from all the subjects we have in the UK has a farm on site for farm studies which is for the older children, the 13 year old is now taking surf lessons with school. If I remember from last year when they started the term that you will be wanting they went to the open day got uniforms which I must say are very smart and haven't looked back. I hope this has helped.

Sandy

Thanks for your post Sandy. That has made me feel a lot better about things. We have viewed a house in the Ashmore area this morning and have put in an application so if we get that house then I will be looking at Benowa Primary or Bellevue Primary. I will keep in mind your info though - thanks again.

Guest woods99
Hi Charlene

My brother wife and 4 kids are in Labrador until Saturday when they move to Arundel, 3 of their 4 children have been at Southport State school since January 09 and are all doing exceptionally well so don't be decieved by catchment area they are 13, 14 and 16

Sandy

The original question was about Primary Schools, not High Schools. Southport High

School is a different entity.

With all due respect, I do not think you understand the point about catchment areas. Children are only allowed to enrol in a school if they live in the right catchment area.

Hi Charlene,

Thanks for your post and hope all goes well with your rental. No doubt, we'll have the same problem when we arrive! Work-wise, I'm a town planner, and secured a job with a planning consultancy in Southport. My hubby is a painter and decorator by trade, but turns his hand to all trades on the construction side, so he'll be looking for something on those lines, or just stick with developing houses, which he does here. What are you studying?

With regards to meeting people, have you seen the gold coast meets on here? There's also a facebook page that they've got going. Have a look. We'll certainly be frequenting the nights out.

Speak soon.

Julz

Guest woods99
I had realised I had made a mistake woods99 as you will have seen and did let Charlene know, maybe I don't understand catchment areas but my nephews & nieces had choices so maybe not strictly true.

Catchment areas are not exclusive, kids are usually residentially qualified for more than one school - however, you cannot attend any school unless you are in that school's catchment area.

The point that I was making about the Southport Primary School's catchment was that it is, unfortunately, a less privileged residential area than Benowa's. So, again unfortunately, there are probably more kids there with more family problems.

Hi folks, I've had a response from Benowa Primary today, following an email I'd sent to them before xmas. She has confirmed that it is subject to catchment area, although dependant upon role numbers. She also advised me that Benowa High School is NOT subject to a catchment area. Hope that sheds some light on the matter.

• 4 months later...
Hi Jo

Thanks for saying hi. We drove to Pacific Pines a couple of weeks after arriving here. It is very hilly and like a maze... Houses look really lovely but we didn't see any bodies walking about anywhere. Is it a real place or a film set?!!! Only kidding... We don't know anybody in Oz apart from a couple of people who are NSW way and Brisbane and Sydney. Would be nice to keep in contact. How long have you been living in Oz? If you have any good advice for us please feel free to share.

Charlene

Hi, we are considering moving to Pacific Pines in 4 mths with our 2 children ages 4 and 7 from Scotland.Did it not seem child friendly?We would be renting to start with to get our bearings and i need to get them into a school too.Is Benowa Primary near this area?Thanks

Hi there,

No, Benowa School is nowhere near Pacific Pines. There is a primary school in Pacific Pines, not sure how many primary schools there are exactly, but we drove past one when all the kids were coming out at the end of the school day. Do a little research on the internet and you will find schools in the areas you are interested in.

Archived