Shipping company recommendations + ditch or ship?

Guest kktscot

Guest kktscot

Hi

There are many of these types of threads so apologies for the repetition, but none of the ones I scoured seemed to help me. Plus im being extra cheeky and adding two questions in one thread.

1. Relocation company

We are moving from Melbourne to Glasgow in around three months - not taking a lot of stuff, but looking for a good company to use. We used Allied Pickfords on the way here and didnt have a great experience so looking for an alternative.

2. Ditch or ship

Also we have the eternal question of ditch or ship - im leaning towards ship just cause I know I'll get pennies for all my hard earned stuff but more practical hubby suggests selling is the best option (im sure he just wants a brand new PS3 though...).

If these threads have been done to death maybe some more experienced memebers could direct me to the existing information.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

KKTscot.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rachellh

Can't help regarding shipping companies as I'm in Perth and I'm not sure if they are the same as over there. But regarding whether or not to take it, I would always say to ship your things back. I've moved all over in the last 15 years and I've taken all my stuff around the world with me!

I shudder to think what it has cost me in total, but I know that it would have cost FAR more to start again each time. I think it's easy to underestimate how much it costs to buy everything from scratch again. Besides that, it always makes a move so much easier when you have your own things around you.

If you don't want to take it all, then sell some of the bigger things that you can easily replace (and have no emotional attachment to) and then just ship the rest. But it's worth looking online in the UK to see the cost of replacing things back there first.

Rachel :biggrin:

agreed, just walk around with a small piece of paper and total it up very roughly, - just kitchen stuff gets expensive very quickly. Also no hassle when you get there (running around buying stuff) - just gets unpacked and BAM your home!

Guest treesea

We brought some electricals back with us, but it's been a hassle. They all work properly - we just use an adaptor plug to change the pins from triangular to square. But, when you come to sell off the stuff, it's worth very little here because it's not got the right plugs.

Five years in, and I STILL have boxes I haven't yet opened. 54 of them. If you can sell the stuff off in Australia it might be a better bet than hauling it all back. Especially if you are prepared to buy at auctions, car boots, trading post/gum tree and the like when you do get back. I still shudder when I think of shelling out over $3,000 for a lovely new leather suite back in Australia and then getting here (thankfully we sold it before we came) and buying one just as nice, second hand but not as worn out as ours had got over 10 years, and a bit better made, for a tenth of the price. £150, plus £12 for a mand and his van to deliver it. It cost us around $6,000 all up to bring back what we didn't sell off. I guess if you really like your things it is worth it.

Archived