right thing wrong thing ?

hillyman

Hi all, just been reading a thread about a family who have recently emigrated

to melbourne, the lady was saying that she is having a very hard time at the moment

due to OH not being able to find work, house prices to high price of shopping more than here in the uk and other things which have got me and mine a little/lot scared,

we aim to be in Brisbane by the end of January iv'e got a job OH hasn't we took quite

a big drop with the sale of the house to make this move now only going with 40k

can any one living in Brisbane give me some positive news please because at the moment im scared to death.

many thanks.

Paulaxx

Guest guest33730

Paul,

I can't give you any advice re Brisbane (although I loved it when I visited) but what I can say is that for every post that someone says they have found it tough there will be at least another one that says it is wonderful. You have to think with a bigger picture in mind - Is it right for you and your family? Will you regret it if at least you haven't given it go?

I have no idea whether we are going to love Adelaide or hate it when we get there but I know the move is right for us and I know we have to give it a go. Life is more than just money, I understand that finances needs to be an important consideration but it is only one of many.

For us - each one of the family has something they want to accomplish in Aus - My wife is going to start a theology degree which she is very excited about, one of my twin boys has decided to study at Adelaide University which he is very excited about, the other twin is going to come out for a few weeks and then go back to the UK for a year to do some voluntary work before coming out a year later and possibly going to Uni as well. I am going to help some friends who started a church last year and need some help.

My point is, each one of us have a plan for the next phase of our life which we are going to put our all into and hopefully it will all work out. You have to make your own story - whats right for you may not be right for someone else but if you don't go you will never know.

Anyway - i wish you all the best on what ever you decide (and a great Christmas)

Daniel

Guest sh7t man no way

to melbourne, the lady was saying that she is having a very hard time at the moment

due to OH not being able to find work, house prices to high price of shopping more than here in the uk and other things which have got me and mine a little/lot scared,

we aim to be in Brisbane by the end of January iv'e got a job OH hasn't we took quite

can any one living in Brisbane give me some positive news please because at the moment im scared to death.

many thanks.

Paulaxx

you just have to give it a go paula--you have worked hard for this opportunity,most people get nervous just before the go to live in Australia,and people differ in how they react to living in a new country-- you and lady from Melbourne may be as different as chalk,and cheese, as for Brisbane you will love it--here's a:hug:from me to settle you down a bit.

Guest siamsusie

many thanks.

Paulaxx

Hi Paula, I think you are referring to Rachet, and yes she gave a very honest account of her life on a 457 Visa and I think she is constructively trying to find other solutions to her problem. I sincerely hope that she and her OH manage to find their niche in Australia and yes it does take some considerable time for some.

Kevin (Itcouldbeworse) would be a good person to speak to and lives over Brisbane way. His wife is a nurse and they manage on one salary. He has some very honest and realistic stories to tell of their immigration into Australia and it would be certainly worthwhile pm'ing him and I know he would be delighted to guide and advise you.

Happy Christmas and very best wishes on your new journey to Australia :hug: Susie x

Hi Guy's, thanks for your comments and advise, i know what you say is right and my family and

i are really looking forward to the move, for the most of the process we have been up beat

about the whole thing, but when you read negative threads/post it just makes me think if i'm

doing the right thing, people say that you need both sides of the story but if everyones experience's

are different why do we need the negatives, thats just my view, i hope people don't think im being

naive.

Paula xx

Guest sh7t man no way
Hi Guy's, thanks for your comments and advise, i know what you say is right and my family and

i are really looking forward to the move, for the most of the process we have been up beat

about the whole thing, but when you read negative threads/post it just makes me think if i'm

doing the right thing, people say that you need both sides of the story but if everyones experience's

are different why do we need the negatives, thats just my view, i hope people don't think im being

naive.

Paula xx

i dont mind the negative threads in a perverse way there good, they make you challenge your preconceptions of how you perceive your life would be in australia---this means you are aware of certain things that may or may not happen in Australia--this give you time to discuss these issues in your comfort zone(uk),and be aware of how you feel when living in Australia, if any of these negatives rear there ugly head---that's why pio is such a good tool for people in your position--your going to have a great time in your new world no worries paula---and no your not been naive,your being responsible:wubclub:

Hi sh7t man no way, again i know your right, i think i may be getting cold feet, i've just PMed itcouldbeworse so fingers crossed i'll get good feed back if not i think i may have to stop using PIO which i don't want to do but these negatives depress me, wish i could look at it the way you do.

any again thanks and have a merry christmas.

Paula xx

Guest sh7t man no way
Hi sh7t man no way, again i know your right, i think i may be getting cold feet, i've just PMed itcouldbeworse so fingers crossed i'll get good feed back if not i think i may have to stop using PIO which i don't want to do but these negatives depress me, wish i could look at it the way you do.

Paula xx

kev (it could be worse)is a real nice guy---he will answer most of your needs--happy xmas to you paula,and take care.lolxxalan

Paula xx

You could also get the other side of the coin, but if you don't want to hear it that's OK:wubclub:

I guess it comes down to which person in the relationship has the visa, the visa is provided to people who have skills that Australia needs, however the other person may have a skill which Australia does not need and of course it will be more difficult to get employment.

As always throughout life we have to make sure we can live on one wage and the other wage becomes a bonus. That is how we have looked at it during our life.

I guess sometimes on a small forum it may seem that Australia is waiting with open arms, it is with friendship etc but it may not be job wise for some.

We have both been very fortunate that we always had work and skills that were needed but this is not the case for everyone. My daughter is Australian and she is struggling to get a position at the moment.

Keep the feet firmly on the ground and you will be ok.

Guest Guest31881

many thanks.

Paulaxx

Hi Paula,

I live about an hour away from Brisbane CBD, just off Bribie Island, and I love Queensland. I would not like to live in the city but that is my personal choice, just as some do not want to live in the area where I am living. House prices do seem higher here than the UK but it does depend on where you want to live, just like the UK the best areas cost more, but you can get some very nice property just outside the city. Where you live will depend a lot on where you will be working and how far you want to travel.

The cost of food and stuff will depend on how you shop. I am willing to bet at the moment you go to a supermarket fill your trolley and go home. as there are only two main supermarkets in Australia there is little of no price competition between them, so if you do that here it will cost you a fortune, to get the best prices you have to learn to shop again, use the smaller fruit shops, check out the local butcher.

There will be times when you get homesick, there will be times when you miss your friends, there will be times when your OH feels useless until he gets a job, providing you expect these feelings you will get through them and come out the other side. You will find from time to time postings on here for 'meet ups' in the Brisbane area, try to get to a few. or put your own posting on here asking for a meet up, or even if you find yourselves at Godwin Beach pop in my place for a coffee. I think the important thing is you do not isolate yourself, and think I am the only one out here.

In 12 months you will be posting your “I have been here 12 months report” and telling everyone how great it is here. Keep your expectations realistic and you will thrive out here.

:santatrumpet::xmas3:

Guest Guest31881
I forgot about you as well over there Colin, thats a great post. Now about my problems.......... lol Susie xxx

Ahhh you problems Susie.

I would recommend you try Tasmania for a few weeks to unwind :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest siamsusie
Ahhh you problems Susie.

I would recommend you try Tasmania for a few weeks to unwind

:confused: are you taking the proverbial!!!!! you ambulance drivers have a weird sense of humour, the word warped comes to mind:laugh:...... but you are right as always Colin, my stilletos keep getting stuck in the red earth here, and my hair... well we wont go there, t'is the humidy and and........ pmsl Susie xxxxx

• 1 year later...
Guest guest30038
Hi Paula, hun ive been here 22 years, i have never been out of work. allways found it.pm me back your plans, where to live etc and ill try and give you some tips and clues if you want.

head up.. eyes forward.. no regrets. remember would much rather have regrets about not doing what people said, than regretting not doing what my heart led me to and wondering what life had been like if I'd just been myself.

You're responding to a post that's over 18 months old.

Hey Paula (that's a song title, sure of it?)

I will give you one undisputable fact (although there are a number of 'flat-earthers' who will dispute it!).

The majority of people who emigrate to Australia make a success of it and have a good life.

Look at some of the success stories on PIO. Read their accounts. I think I saw one from a family who are living on The Central Coast in NSW. They seem to have found Paradise from day one.

ps I am a fervent Tottenham Hotspur supporter. I wish they were bigger and more successful than Arsenal but they are not. I hate that but it is another of those unpalatable facts. I'm not a 'flat-earther' though!

Archived