Back to UK - still not received bond and have to sort super out

Guest pringles

Guest pringles

Hi All,

I got back to sunny England in October (it is actually sunny today - surprisingly) and have yet to sort a few things out. So would appreciate any help from you guys.

First of all, I was renting in Oz and since leaving Oz with all the bills sorted have returned to have a few emails exchanged between myself and the estate agent claiming that I haven't sorted some doctors bills out? In which she asked if I wanted her to help me pay for them from my bond in which I responded no. She also said that she was waiting for an electricity bill from Origin as well. However, a week before I left I spoke to Origin and everything was fine from their side and no bill was due. I then responded, "okay, I wasn't expecting a bill but if I get one I am more then happy to pay for it if its for my usage". Since then, I have not heard from this arrogant aussie (the only one I seemed to come across) and it has now been 2 months. Anyone know what I can do about this? As I see no benefit in it for her for witholding the bond from me and I am 100% sure I did not treat her disrespectfully at all during my stay at the property.

Other then that, does anyone know the link that I have to go to to claim my super back?

Thanks in advance for the help!:biggrin:

Hi All,

I got back to sunny England in October (it is actually sunny today - surprisingly) and have yet to sort a few things out. So would appreciate any help from you guys.

First of all, I was renting in Oz and since leaving Oz with all the bills sorted have returned to have a few emails exchanged between myself and the estate agent claiming that I haven't sorted some doctors bills out? In which she asked if I wanted her to help me pay for them from my bond in which I responded no. She also said that she was waiting for an electricity bill from Origin as well. However, a week before I left I spoke to Origin and everything was fine from their side and no bill was due. I then responded, "okay, I wasn't expecting a bill but if I get one I am more then happy to pay for it if its for my usage". Since then, I have not heard from this arrogant aussie (the only one I seemed to come across) and it has now been 2 months. Anyone know what I can do about this? As I see no benefit in it for her for witholding the bond from me and I am 100% sure I did not treat her disrespectfully at all during my stay at the property.

Other then that, does anyone know the link that I have to go to to claim my super back?

Thanks in advance for the help!:biggrin:

Bonds are notoriously hard to get back and its always the same how people change when instead of you giving them money - they have to give it to you.

As for super. I am of the understanding that if you are a PR then you cant claim any back until you are at retirement age.

Guest pringles

Cheers Aldo,

Is there any way that I can get it back? As, as far as I know. I have done nothing wrong. Surely they can't use that money to "help me pay my doctors bill"?

Oh, I was not a PR there. Was just on a 457 Visa.

Cheers Aldo,

Is there any way that I can get it back? As, as far as I know. I have done nothing wrong. Surely they can't use that money to "help me pay my doctors bill"?

Not sure how the system works there tbh. I would have thought they would have no right to pay anything without your consent but I'm no expert. Did you have an end lease clean, that includes carpets, pest inspection ect and get this certified as done? If so cant see any reason to hold back. If i where you I would be on the phone every day, I know its hard with the time zones but don't let them think you will just walk away.

Good Luck

Guest Guest31881

You should have a letter or document telling you who the 'Bond' company is that is holding the bond on behalf of you and your agent. Try contacting them, they have procedures in the event of a bond not being refunded.

The Bond is for the rental only, and has nothing to do with any bills you may or may not owe that are not directly to do with the rental and the condition you left it in.,

We were on a 457 and as we were in Australia for less than two years we have claimed our Super back, they tax it at 40% over $5000. We were with Australian Super and we simply have had to fill in a form and provide scanned evidence of our passport with exit stamp plus a letter from immi to say our 457 is cancelled, which they sent us just after we returned and BINGO money is on its way which is great as its helped with the return costs and much needed now that we are back. If you work over the 24 month period though its frozen until your retirement age apparently.

Guest pringles
We were on a 457 and as we were in Australia for less than two years we have claimed our Super back, they tax it at 40% over $5000. We were with Australian Super and we simply have had to fill in a form and provide scanned evidence of our passport with exit stamp plus a letter from immi to say our 457 is cancelled, which they sent us just after we returned and BINGO money is on its way which is great as its helped with the return costs and much needed now that we are back. If you work over the 24 month period though its frozen until your retirement age apparently.

thanks adey.

Who should I contact in regards to getting the Super back? I only worked in Oz for 8 months...

Guest wheres wally

Hi

I am Where's Wally's wife and i work as a Senior Administrator for a Superannuation company in Perth.

The law states that if you are a temporary resident and your visa is cancelled or has expired then you can access you superannuation upon departing Australia. I have worked in the industry for 3 years now and have not heard anything about working over 24 months and you can not access it. I don't believe that this is true.

The law changed last year and the ATO now work in conjunction with the Dept of Immigration and if they are informed that someone has departed Australia and their visa has ceased then they will contact whoever your Super is with, the Super fund then have a certain amount of time to transfer those funds to the ATO. These funds are then held at the ATO. You are always best to contact your Super Fund and see where the funds currently are, because they may not have been transferred to the ATO yet. You are taxed 35% on all the taxable component of your money.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions please let me know. I'd be happy to help.

Regards

Mrs Where's Wally!

Cheers Aldo,

Bonds are easy to get back if you've done nothing wrong. The rental bond tribunal generally rules in favour of the tennant.

Hi Pringles :) I can't help you with the superannuation question at all, but if you let us all know which state (or territory) you were renting in, I might be able to give you some advice re: getting your bond back.

Certainly in WA there's no capacity to hold back bond to pay anything personal like doctors' bills - these have nothing to do with the property you leased.

Archived