best place to base yourself?please help

vinnypot

Hello all,can anyone help me and give me suggestions,we are a family of 4 ,(2 kids aged 7 and 3)we are arriving at the end of april,to brisbane,,,,i am an electrician and my wifes a teaching assistant,we dont have jobs when we arrive,can anyone reccomend the best areas to live that where i will have the best chance of work(within a realistic travelling distance)that is also good for families?thanks ,,,all advice appreciated

Well I was going to say Perth but then I noticed you're 'Sunshine Cost Bound' so can't help but this will bump you back to for the evening surfing PIO's over there.

Jules

West Brisbane and out towards Ipswich seems to be coming up trumps with job vacancies lately. You are best to secure temporary or holiday accommodation for your first 3 or 4 weeks and have a drive around until you find somewhere that will tick most of your boxes. Places look very different on the WWW.

Your problem being a sparky is the licences you are required to gain before you can work freely. It will be worth your while looking into this prior to your move so you know exactly what awaits you.

Good luck with everything

Cal x

Guest wanderer

As Cal indicates, there is something of an ordeal to getting your electricians license once here, How to get an Electrical Licence in Queensland giving a good run down of steps and the government site listing much the same - Overseas applicants

If you want to live closer to the coast, either Gold Coast, Bay suburbs [area to south east], Redcliffe Peninsula or the Sunshine Coast are all areas with a lot of continual expansion too.

Guest darrentb

It depends on what you are looking for really. If you go to the outer suburbs of Brisbane, and want to be close to the beach, well you may be disappointed. The Sunshine Coast is a great place.. and is growing at a very fast pace. A lot of development going on. There are many private and public schools, so I wouldn't think that it would be too difficult to get a job if you have some qualification.... in Queensland you would just need to get a 'blue card' to allow you to work with children.

I live at Sippy Downs.. (I am australian... I grew up in wollongong in NSW) Been on the Sunshine Coast for 5 years now and love it!

Darren

Guest darrentb
thanks alot,what areas are nice on the sunshine coast within east access to the city?thanks

hi again vinnypot,

Are you talking about Sunshine Coast or easy access to Brisbane from the Sunshine Coast?

The Sunshine Coast stretches out over 50km or even more. Maroochydore is the hub for the Sunshine coast (although people in Noosa wont like me saying that!) I would say it is not like a normal city where you have the CBD, the sunshine coast is spread over a wide area. There are many many great place though to live. On the southern end is Caloundra... you move north to kawana, mooloolaba, maroochydore, twin waters, coolum, perigian, and up to Noosa. They are just the coastal towns. (i missed out a heap too).

Check out a few of these websites... even though they are tourist ones, they may give you an idea of the area

Sunshine Coast Accommodation, Hotels, Resorts, Apartments | Sunshine Coast Tourist Information Centre

Tourism Sunshine Coast

Archived