Ferny Hills

Guest JGirl

Hi there, my hubby and I and one year old son are moving to Brissy in April, yay! We are looking for a nice clean safe good socio economic area with a good state primary school and a few things around for us to do including shops / places to eat or have a drink - plus access to the city where my hubby and I will be working. We are thinking we have found our place - Ferny Hills / Ferny Grove. Does anyone know the area or have any advice? We are looking to get a house for about 450k. Very excited!!

Guest Working to fish
Hi there, my hubby and I and one year old son are moving to Brissy in April, yay! We are looking for a nice clean safe good socio economic area with a good state primary school and a few things around for us to do including shops / places to eat or have a drink - plus access to the city where my hubby and I will be working. We are thinking we have found our place - Ferny Hills. Does anyone know the area or have any advice? We are looking to get a house for about 450k. Very excited!!

Hi

I work in Ferny Hills ,and also stay here on work nights ,i would say the area is very nice ,loads of shops ,parks ,places to eat.

Would say that on 450k ,you should get a good house .

Getting into the city around 7-8 am can be bad ,but if you use the rat runs its not to bad.

Hope this helps abit.

Guest HeywoodMonkey

IThe Train station is the end of the line at Ferny Grove so getting to the city by train can be stress free,

Hi

I work in Ferny Hills ,and also stay here on work nights ,i would say the area is very nice ,loads of shops ,parks ,places to eat.

Would say that on 450k ,you should get a good house .

Getting into the city around 7-8 am can be bad ,but if you use the rat runs its not to bad.

Hope this helps abit.

Great! That is a definite bonus. I wonder what the schools are like in the area? We are also considering Mount Gravatt but not sure which area is better. We love the sunny coast - does anyone know how far to Caloundra it is from Ferny Grove?

IThe Train station is the end of the line at Ferny Grove so getting to the city by train can be stress free,

• 3 weeks later...
Guest zemanek74

About 45mins to an hour to Caloundra, lovely family area, beaches nice! Ferny Grove good choice, can be a nightmare though getting to the city in peak hour.

Many thanks.

Nightmare in the car or nightmare on public transport? I was intending to get the train to work.

About 45mins to an hour to Caloundra, lovely family area, beaches nice! Ferny Grove good choice, can be a nightmare though getting to the city in peak hour.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

If you love the Sunny Coast, Ferny Hills is a good spot.

From what a number of local people have said, of the two Ferny Hills is the preferrable option. We were going to buy in Ferny Grove but noticed a bit of grafitti and a didn't get a great feeling for the place. Ferny hills is abit quieter. More parks. Really leafy...

We are looking for a house at the mo. Ferny Hills all the way. Very much like the Gap which is a well regarded suburb but much more affordable. It's only 1 or 2kms to the train station. I drive to a suburb near the city and have to use rat runs all the way. Train is the way to go.

Good luck.

PS Been to the sunny coast today... you've got a lot to look forward to ;)

Hi there, my hubby and I and one year old son are moving to Brissy in April, yay! We are looking for a nice clean safe good socio economic area with a good state primary school and a few things around for us to do including shops / places to eat or have a drink - plus access to the city where my hubby and I will be working. We are thinking we have found our place - Ferny Hills / Ferny Grove. Does anyone know the area or have any advice? We are looking to get a house for about 450k. Very excited!!

Ferny Grove looked just the job to me until I looked it up on Wikipedia and it said it used to be Brisbane's landfill site

Look it up and see what you think

It's kind of put us off

I would be glad to know that I am way off the mark by anyone who knows the area ??

Wikipedia says very little about Ferny Hills

We are going on a reccie to Brisbane in March & so hope to have poke about in that area

JT

That concerns me also - it looks like it is the site of a big rubbish dump. Is this still correct? Does it smell or impact on the area? Does anyone know where exactly the rubbish dump is in Ferny Grove and where to avoid living therefore?? Thanks!

Ferny Grove looked just the job to me until I looked it up on Wikipedia and it said it used to be Brisbane's landfill site

Look it up and see what you think

It's kind of put us off

I would be glad to know that I am way off the mark by anyone who knows the area ??

Wikipedia says very little about Ferny Hills

We are going on a reccie to Brisbane in March & so hope to have poke about in that area

JT

We have friends in Ferny Hills, we will be moving back to Albany Creek, my husband grew up there and we lived there for 2 years before coming back to the UK, I can't wait to get back, plenty of shops, eating and parks. Fab schools too.

Does that just apply for Albany Creek or Ferny area too re how lovely it is?

We are also in the UK and can't to get back! Lived in Bris for 3 years before coming home and have missed aus so much - 2 months today til we go! We lived inner city though in Kangaroo Point before - pre little one in tow.

We have friends in Ferny Hills, we will be moving back to Albany Creek, my husband grew up there and we lived there for 2 years before coming back to the UK, I can't wait to get back, plenty of shops, eating and parks. Fab schools too.

Hi,

We moved to Oz in 94 and have lived in Ferny Grove for 6 years. The "Rubbish dump" that is referred to is a transfer station and there's no impact on residents at all, it's pretty much out of the way, actually it's quite good having it within a short drive. We have found the area to be ideal for us. I work from home and have never had any problems. If you need to travel to the city, get close to the railway station or be prepared for the full car park after about 730 am. My son travelled into the city every day to get to school and (mostly) had no problems. They're doubling the line and building new park spaces (or at least promise to) this year. Best local schools are over the hill in The Gap (10 mins drive), but Ferny Grove is still pretty good by all accounts. There's a big Woolworths in the next suburb (Keppera) and promises of Cinemas and more large shops before the GFC, but there's plenty more within 10/20 minutes drive.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

We moved to Oz in 94 and have lived in Ferny Grove for 6 years. The "Rubbish dump" that is referred to is a transfer station and there's no impact on residents at all, it's pretty much out of the way, actually it's quite good having it within a short drive. We have found the area to be ideal for us. I work from home and have never had any problems. If you need to travel to the city, get close to the railway station or be prepared for the full car park after about 730 am. My son travelled into the city every day to get to school and (mostly) had no problems. They're doubling the line and building new park spaces (or at least promise to) this year. Best local schools are over the hill in The Gap (10 mins drive), but Ferny Grove is still pretty good by all accounts. There's a big Woolworths in the next suburb (Keppera) and promises of Cinemas and more large shops before the GFC, but there's plenty more within 10/20 minutes drive.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Deaks, thats what I wanted to hear..... sounds better than the Wikipedia description I looked up !!

I have a mate in Samsonvale (?), who I am visiting when I go over, so we'll take a look on the way out

JT

Archived