Flight recommendations

Nats

Hi

Im currently looking at flights and had read a post somewhere on here regarding Singapore Airlines. Is the baggage allowance 80kg as standard for all classes with this airline?? Best prices at the moment are via Emirates and they have increased their baggage allowance by 10kg allowing now for 30kg pp. Would be useful to know, may be more expensive but extra baggage allowance could be very useful.

Thanks Natalie x

Guest juliemtaylor

well we just emailed Singapore airlines and were told this:

Dear Mrs. Taylor,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Kindly note that if you hold an unused/unstamped migrant visa that specifically states that you are permittedto remain in Australia indefinitely, then you will be entitled to double baggage allowance (40 kilos, per passenger) on production of that visa at check-in. You can have as many items of luggage as you wish providing no one single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight. This is a health and safety requirement.

If you are not holding the correct visa mentioned above at check-in, then you will be entitled to the standard free checked baggage allowance of 20 kilos per passenger.

Additionally, if you take a stopover in Singapore, then once the booking is completed please write to us with your Singapore Airlines Booking Reference Number, and the scanned copies of your visas, so that we can verify them and advise you accordingly.

For any further assistance, you can contact us on the number mentioned below, and we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you for your interest in Singapore Airlines.

Yours Sincerely,

Paige Brooks

SIA UK

Hope this helps..

Julie x

Fantastic! Thanks guys ... that has been really helpful. We dont have much to ship - and can wait until settled before we arrange this, but extra baggage is very useful for the start-up essentials. Excellent ... cant wait to tell the OH.

x x x

Guest Guest31881

Take a copy of the email with you to the airport, They will probably ask to see it, and it saves you time explaining why you should have the extra allowance.

Guest juliemtaylor

I presume the bit they mention re stopovers means the allowance is double for the whole trip inc a few days in singapore.. that's why I emailed too..

Julie x

Remember, you can also take 7 1/2 kilos of hand luggage, as well as getting away with a couple of extra bags too, ie, hand bag, laptop bag etc. We went over in the summer for a bike race and our bikes were pretty much our allowance, but managed to get most of our items into a large trolly bag/case weighting about 8 kilos. You'll be amazed how much clothes etc you can get in one of those and still be on-weight. I had my trolly case, my laptop bag, a helmet bag and another bag, and they didnt bat an eye lid. My daughter pretty much had the same too. We travelled with Etihad that time where you get a standard 30 kilos no qestions asked.

Guest proud2beaussie

It's a very risky practice to be assuning that you can get away with taking extra hand luggage on any flight,most airlines have strict allowances of 7kg's for carry on baggage and they must fit within guidelines about size limits.

Each airline has it's own policy about what they will or won't allow passengers to take on board and most airlines are currently reviewing their baggage allowance policies and there could be substantial changes happening very soon,Qantas has already started weighing hand luggage and I expect others to follow suit very soon.

If you are offered extra allowance from an airline get it in writing and take it with you to the airport and follow the airlines policy about cabin baggage.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hevloc00

Hi Nats

I am flying out with Singapore Airlines & i have got 40kgs baggage & 7kgs cabin baggage!

The travel agent was asking on the phone if there was any more allowence on customers emmigrating but they said not!

If you have alot of stuff you require to take with you UPS is a good company to use to send your belongings over!

Do not be fooled by the UKMOVE1 promo code with emirates its a massiv con...all the travel agents i tried had never heard of it!

Good luck with you move!!

309 de-facto spouse submitted 12/11/09 granted 10/12/09

Guest guest33730
Hi Nats

I am flying out with Singapore Airlines & i have got 40kgs baggage & 7kgs cabin baggage!

The travel agent was asking on the phone if there was any more allowence on customers emmigrating but they said not!

If you have alot of stuff you require to take with you UPS is a good company to use to send your belongings over!

Do not be fooled by the UKMOVE1 promo code with emirates its a massiv con...all the travel agents i tried had never heard of it!

Good luck with you move!!

309 de-facto spouse submitted 12/11/09 granted 10/12/09

That's Just your opinion hevloc,

I booked online using the code a fortnight ago and sent a copy of my visa and passport the following day and got an email back within half an hour confirming my 50kg allowance x 4 for my family. Using the code UKMOVE1 my one way flight was £489 for travel on 20th June next year against the normal £700 plus.

Daniel

Guest proud2beaussie

The UKMOVE1 code is a promotional code that will work only when booking a fare online with Emirates,if you enter the code at the booking stage and you have an unvalidated PR visa you will get extra baggage allowance,is it not a con,there are many PIO members who have used it successfully.

As for saying that travel agents haven't heard of it well I'm an agent and I have a sales guide email from Emirates about it so I would suggest that the agents you have talked to should do a bit more training.

Every agent worth their salt knows about it.

Guest siamsusie
ok nigelinoz whatever!

it is a con but if you believe different then so be it...

Just trying to remember an old quote "empty vessels" comes to mind..... :GEEK:

Guest siamsusie
ok nigelinoz whatever!

Hevloc it isnt a con. Numerous members use UKmove to facilitate extra luggage allowance, albeit it is sometimes difficult to get through!.

As Daniel says he managed it as many others have done and it isnt a question of NigelinOz believing! he is a travel agent here in Australia , therefore he is well aware of what offers are available. Susie

Guest Guest31881
ok nigelinoz whatever!

A lot of members on here have used this facility to bring extra luggage.

How can you call it a con, and insult members who have used this and other schemes to increase their allowance. You can also get extra baggage allowance with Singapor Airways by emailing them and asking for the allowance. They will allow it on your first use of the visa, and you have to email them a copy of your visa and show their reply email as you check in. or was I conned when i flew with Singapor Airways. If I was it was a nice con!

The UKMOVE1 code is a promotional code that will work only when booking a fare online with Emirates,if you enter the code at the booking stage and you have an unvalidated PR visa you will get extra baggage allowance,is it not a con,there are many PIO members who have used it successfully.

As for saying that travel agents haven't heard of it well I'm an agent and I have a sales guide email from Emirates about it so I would suggest that the agents you have talked to should do a bit more training.

Every agent worth their salt knows about it.

Thanks for that piece of information Nigel. Looks like I might be flying with Emirates, prob on the 20th Jan ... so I'll be sure to use the promotional code when booking.

Ahhh ... never noticed the bit regarding 'unvalidated PR visa' ... Im coming on a 457. Aww well, Im sure 30kgs will be sufficient - travelling alone afterall, as hubby wont be there at the other side to carry my luggage - prob best I take less. The shoes can wait until his arrival lol

Thanks again

Nats .x.

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi Nats,

I hope you have a good flight,Emirates is an excellent airline and have a very modern fleet ,well trained crew and they give excellent service.

Enjoy your flight and I hope you enjoy Australia as well.

Cheers

N'oz

Hi Nats,

I hope you have a good flight,Emirates is an excellent airline and have a very modern fleet ,well trained crew and they give excellent service.

Enjoy your flight and I hope you enjoy Australia as well.

Cheers

N'oz

Thanks Nigel, very kind of you. I hope I get the chance to enjoy Australia ... the Christmas holidays is holding up my visa, Im on tenderhooks waiting for everything to be finalised!! This is why I am yet to book flights!:unsure:

Guest juliemtaylor

from what I have read it's only permanent visa holders with unvalidated visa's - that's what Singapore Airlines told us.

Julie x

Archived