Another silly question about form 80

Gothnet

So I'm filling out Form 80 and got to the questions about parents and siblings.

So for parents you have to give details of actual parents and anyone you've had a parent-like relationship with, including step parents etc.

Both my folks are remarried but I've never had a parent-like relationship with either step-parent, having left home well before all this happened. Are my step-parents still relevant? (I put their details in the main application... but here?)

And for siblings - well I have one brother and two each of step-brothers and step-sisters. This form doesn't mention anything other than actual siblings, but again I mentioned them in the main application.

It's a bit of a pain because I don't currently have the extended details like "place of birth" for all of these folks. Also some of them (step-mother's side) are Iranian in origin and I couldn't begin to guess how their names are written in their native script....

Advice, as ever, is appreciated.

Guest Luke Brown

I put my step-father and step-brother, even though my mother is now deceased and I haven't seem either of them for 10 years +

You only need to put name, d.o.b etc so figured it would be better just to put it rather than not.

Hmm I think they are likely to be relatively flexible with that sort of information on the form 80. I knew the details for my family so was able to fill this in confidently, however, when it came to our main visa application forms, we discovered that my husband wasn't entirely certain of the date-of-birth of one of his step-sisters and we couldn't get hold of anyone who did know at that time so after ringing the DIAC to get advice, we just put "unknown" against her name. We later found out this information but we learned after we had applied and as it wasn't queried, we didn't need to supply it to the DIAC. I should add that she is an Australian citizen and this may be why we weren't asked to find out. I would try and find out as much as you can and hopefully they will be forgiving if there happens to be a date of birth etc. that you just don't know.

I'm not sure re. step-parents but it should be something you can confirm with the DIAC or an RMA.

Archived