do i pay tax to customs if i bring more than $10k on the plane?

stacybird123

Guest cazbeckham

No but you must declare it on the card you fill in for your arrival. WE brought a little more than that in a year ago and said so on the disembarkment card and went through the "Yes" we have something to declare line, told them we had extra cash and just had to fill in a form and all was good.

I wise move bringing your money with you. I sent mine through the banking system and it got lost, took months to find it. Never really did find out what went wrong, I suspect that it was there but the local people were looking in the wrong place. It was only resolved when a trace was put on from the UK end.

Guest proud2beaussie

As Caz says there is no restrictions on bringing in more than $10,000 AUD but if you do you must declare it on the incoming passenger card and will then need to fill in a cross border movement report explaining why you are bringing in that amount.

Remember that the incoming passenger card is a legal document and that you must complete it as accurately as possible.

Passenger Cards - Travelling to Australia - Border Security

There is no tax on capital in Australia. The limit on cash is there to stop criminals not the honest person who can just declare what he has on him.

As for the comment that it is smart to take a heep of cash with you on a plane rather then using the banking system, man you must be kidding right?

You lost your cash in transit from a bank and the otehr, you were incomvenience but you did not lose it.

If it was cash do you think you would find it?

Trillions of dollars are exchanged daily via electronic transfer every day and the hickups are minimal and are mostly all resolved.

Don't you have Commonwealth Bank in the UK?

Archived