plumbers in melbourne

Guest tracey evans

Hello Tracey

Plumbing is not entirely the same but I don't think it'll take long to adjust I've not started work yet and can imagine the pain will be getting the licence.

good luck John

Guest tracey evans

Thanx john ive heard i might have to go to tafe for a few months is that right.

phil ,traceys oh.

Guest THE JONEZYS

You will have to go to TAFE and there is quite a long waiting list.

We have friends here who got here xmas day and he is taking his first exam on monday. In the mean time he cant carry out any work with out it being signed off by a licensed plumber. This has affected his job opptions and earning potential. He has finally got a job with a plumbing company and whilst he is gaining experience the wages are poor....around $600 per week and they have really struggled to the point where they are considering going back home!

I dont mean to sound negative or to scare anyone but they have said many times that they wish someone had warned them before they got here!

Good luck.

Lesley

Guest jonseywife

OMG Lesley... Just read your post about your plumber friend, now im scared!!!!!! My OH is a plumber and thats been a big worry to us about the licence/training busines, especially the poor wages ($600 per week, thats ***ing rediculous:arghh:).... I knew I should have married a bricklayer or a plasterer, ive heard there earning upto $2000 per week!!!!!!!!!

The only good bit of news for all you plumbers, electricians etc., is the TRA have finally had the sense to set up training in the UK for migrants, to get trained/liceniced before you get to OZ!!!!!!!

Read the link below, its not yet finalised and should start in July........

http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/0973725A-0AA2-4BF2-8721-C57CAE4BFB61/0/revisedbulletin2.pdf

Good luck

Sally-ann x :biggrin:

Hello all

All that info scares me and I'm hear already. There does seem to be a volentary organisation that may be a way of gaining experiance. But we all need to earn money. maybe find somthing else for while.

We are going to rent a home his week then concerntrate on the work issue.

John

Bl**dy hell thats crap money!

My OH has been plumber for 25 yrs, C & G quals, CORGI etc. Expected and knew would have to do some training in Oz before he could become fully licensed. Only logical really given that it is bit different (after all we would expect the foreigners coming over here to have to do some training), but that really is madness. Had heard somewhere that earnings would be around $50,000 which would be manageable but am wondering now if that was when fully licensed. Any ideas?

Lyn x

Guest Watersports

Good post, this is info we've been trying to find out too as my o/h is a plumber too.

Does anyone know of a website that gives further information on the license that needs to be obtained and how one can go about doing it? It would be great to read up on it whilst here in the UK, rather then getting that mighty big shock when we land in Oz.

Thanks in advance

Guest jonseywife

Hi all

Looks like Plumbers get a raw deal in Oz like they do in the UK.... what with paying for ACS accreditation, energy efficiency training, corgi registration, public liability etc., etc., etc., aaarrggghhhhh.................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now they will have to start paying out straight away on training, exam fees and registering etc. all over again before they can work....... then still only earn $50,000+ per year if their lucky........... it makes my angry, out of all the trades they have to know soooo much, and get paid the least........ dont get me started!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oooops, too late !!!!!!:confused:

Anyway, think ive said enough, and we're still heading to Oz after all that moaning...:chatterbox:

But I have found this link....... it tells you all about registration & licencing!!!!??????

Hope it helps

Sally-ann x

http://www.pic.vic.gov.au/www/html/113-licensing-and-registration.asp

Guest Abi&Dan

Surely plumbers don't have to be CORGI registered? Thought that was gas fitters? Though of course many do both.

Anyway - from research done plumbers seem to be, on average, the best paid trade in Oz - some of the other trades are doing very well at the mo - but in a 'making hay while the sun shines' kind of way and I think plumbing is considered less financially exciting but far more stable.

The exams needed for registration aren't too bad either - think there are about 1/2 dozen at around $120 each - but the delays are true - I spoke to someone on another site who's OH had to wait around 8 months just to get a place for the exam (but he was working at around $20 ph prior to gaining the registration)

I reckon it's the same as with all trades - the best pay comes when you're self employed - so that's the next aim! :biggrin:

Guest stingray

Hi, I've just came back from Oz working as a gas fitter plumber, I'm ACS, CSCS, Corgi, C&G and still had to do cert III in plumbing and then did the NSW cert IV in plumbing for licensing requirements. In all 18months of college with about 9 months of work as a 3rd year apprentice at the tender age of 40 I called it a day back in london I can work for myself fit high teck equipment and I'm NICEIC registered as well, IN Oz I,could not legally fir a plug on to a length of flex. And if you want to know more after 3 years and around $340,000.00 spent on land which the council won't let me build on 3 years wasted and don't even start to count the money. If you get into debt in Oz they can actually stop you leaving.

Guest Stu:0
Hi, I've just came back from Oz working as a gas fitter plumber, I'm ACS, CSCS, Corgi, C&G and still had to do cert III in plumbing and then did the NSW cert IV in plumbing for licensing requirements. In all 18months of college with about 9 months of work as a 3rd year apprentice at the tender age of 40 I called it a day back in london I can work for myself fit high teck equipment and I'm NICEIC registered as well, IN Oz I,could not legally fir a plug on to a length of flex. And if you want to know more after 3 years and around $340,000.00 spent on land which the council won't let me build on 3 years wasted and don't even start to count the money. If you get into debt in Oz they can actually stop you leaving.

Bloody hell mate sounds like youve had a fair old time of it! I cant get me head round the country? Im a spark heading out there in 6 weeks and got it all to come. I think your post will knock a few people fox six!

Well hope things work out for you back in london!

Stu

Guest jonseywife

So sorry you have had a rough time and ended up coming back home to the UK because of their rediculous rules!!!!!!!!!!! I do feel for you.

Gotta admit my old man has read all these posts along with a few others saying about the same and is cacking it now!!!!!!!!! You always question yourself anyway making this decision to live in Oz, and now if you cant earn a fair living and we have four kids to worry about, whats the point in going out there......... OMG my head is going to explode with all this pressure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any more plumbing info would be gratefully appreciated....... before all the plumbers wives go crazy with worry!!! :goofy:

Archived