To bring car or not...that is the question

shaunkaren

I have just spoken to Crown removals and the nice lady informed me that we will have to pay 35% of the cars value (as estimated by them) in tax. We have a Vauxhall Zafira 08 reg and are now unsure what to do. We initially thought it would save us money as not having the expense of buying one in Oz, now we are not so sure it will be cost effective.

Has anyone taken their car out and what were you charged? Need to make decision sharpish as will be packing up in 4 weeks!!!

Karen

I left my car behind as it was also pretty new and I understood it at the time there was a tax for bringing a car then another tax if it is below a certain age which I am sure yours is then they charge for steam cleaning.

You also have to think about the expense of repairs to it here and the availability of parts.

If you are buying a car here I would say if you can stretch to it to buy new, second hand cars are soooo expensive (here in Melbourne anyway).

regards

Michelle

We would probably need to get finance to buy new, which would more than likely be an issue for newbies who have no credit record in Oz. It is a pain though as we deliberately bought the car with a view to taking it out having had it a year.

We will look at the figures and work something out.....

Guest wayniexagt

there loads of cars out there . you dont have to buy new . but remeber ................ HAGGLE !! buying relatively new car will cost you through the nose ( and so will 2nd hand to be fair). and best bet is to stay away from european cars due to cost of parts and servicing etc . mainly ford or holden. i dare say you will see sumat you like . just have a look on ebay.com.au and see what takes ya fancy i picked up a 1999 ford falcon au , very clean car with all the history for $4700. that included 6ths rego (insurance) aswell . have alook round but remember to HAGGLE LIKE HELL !!

Guest juliemtaylor

we are going to sell both cars before we go, one is only a year old and OH pride and joy but it will always be an import and the cost and tax for getting it over there are too high we thought..

Julie x

Archived