Republic of Australia

connaust

"We are not British - that's why a republic is so important. Independence is about taking pride in our unique culture. THE 10th anniversary of the referendum reminded me that I should dust off the old ''Young Australians for a Republic'' banner in the shed and drop it off at the national archives."

Just shows how influential John Howard's grey voters had been, that Rudd is too scared to talk about a Republic .. for a while.....

Guest proud2beaussie

What a load of utter rubbish,there are many more important issues facing Australia than whether it becomes a republic,in fact as far as I am concerned I wouldn't care if it took another 20 years,the present system isn't broken so no need to rush about changing it,fix the big problems like water security and regional infrastructure,then when you have a 21st century country with 21st century infrastructure then run the republic question again,but not until then.

Guest proud2beaussie
I would of agreed with you Nigel b4 I came to England to live, No more.........

Australia for a republic 100% yes

Geoff I am not saying that the country shouldn't become a republic one day,but we need to fix the really important things first like securing the water supply,for gods sake we don't even have a national rail gauge yet! as I said when we have a 21st century country with 21st century infrastructure then vote on the republic again,but not till then.

I adore Australia but I find it totally unacceptable that in 2009 there are still parts of this country without mobile phone coverage and still more areas that don't even have ADSL and have to make do with dial up! come on.fix those things FIRST! or a republic of Australia will be of the banana variety.

I think the British people should be allowed to vote on it.

What we want to hang onto Australia for is beyond me!:no:

Can't think of any thing beneficial Australia has done for the Commonwealth recently.

Can't think of any thing beneficial Australia has done for the Commonwealth recently.

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH

Do you not get sick of all that crap you write:SLEEP:

Tut tut...How soon we forget...

We beat you 18-9 in the rah rah and 26-16 in the 4 nations cup...

It stops that 'we-are-superior' attitude the poms took on:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest wanderer

Here, Here, Nigel,

There's lots that can be improved before we go wasting money on another gobfeast and referendum, the last episode costing $50M or thereabouts was bandied around.

Still, we do need to remain cognisant of Australia's size when it comes to rolling out modern communications etc., and the relatively small population in some areas and in an overall sense that can contribute taxes to any developments.

To go from a federation of states, a member of the Commonwealth to a republic and whether we remained or not a member of the Commonwealth will be astronomical in cost, not to mention a field years or decades for the legal fraternity and clogging up the justice and legislative drafting systems and probably somewhere over a Billion will go to do something but hopefully Kruddy will have nought to do with it.

And as has been said for what earthly good would creating a republic be.

As a young kid I was sitting on the kerbside in 1954 in blazing sun for hours with newspaper hats of the old paper boat mode for shade, waiting on Lizzy to drive by and never had qualms about singing GSOQ, our Gracious Queen and still wouldn't even if it was still the national anthem.

And that does not mean we have to think of ourselves of belonging to anything or hanging on to something or something else hanging on to us.

I would have thought that approach started going out the door in Queen Vic's day and though it may have taken longer with India for whatever reason, it was already back then the Australian Lighthorse Cavalry at Crimea, and in French fields of massacres, the French old enough to remember, remembered Australians just as they would British or Canadians and then The Rats of Tobruk have always been thought of as Australians, just as those on the Kokoda Track were.

I remember when the pundits for a Republic were all cockahoop, it was like "we need our own identity" as a catch phrase and what a lot of bollocking, thankfully enough people about to put the kybosh on it.

And you read

Most of the people who care about a republic are older. They remember a time when our prime minister described us as ''British to our boot straps'', they resented singing God Save the Queen, and if they travelled overseas they got really irritated by being treated as mere colonials.

Never in my life have I heard anyone saying we're British to our bootstraps and the rest is sheer pettiness.

But the republic does not have the same emotive pull for younger people. Most have always seen themselves as Australian. The Queen on our currency is an anachronism, as are the finer points of our constitutional monarchy. The technicalities are a relic of the past that means nothing now.

And hopefully as the young do age they'll become more cognisant of the practicalities/cost etc.

I got involved in part because I was in a rut and needed to try something new. But the major reason I gave up my weekends to sit at a card table at the local shopping centre sprang from a trip to Britain a few years earlier.

Despite not being new to travel, I left Australia with a sense that culture is to be found in other places. But I still expected Britain to be much like here - it wasn't. I found myself feeling disoriented in a country that located itself differently in nature, in space and time, and that had very different expectations about the relationships between people.

Says something for the author!, hey what old chaps!

Guest Guest31881

When i first started to use this site, your comments could be classed as funny, sometimes helpfull.

Now they seem pointless and annoying, any thread started by anyone has to be inundated with stupid comments just to keep you amused as you try to stir things up. I now feel sorry for you as your who social life seems to be spending time on here trying to upset members

As for Australia becoming a republic, the present system works, and as was said before 'if it a'int broke don't fix it.'. I am sure eventually there will be another vote on a Republic and eventually it will become a republic, but there is no hurry to take this step!

Guest 5x4_inches

If there was a referendum I would vote for a republic, but I agree with those who say there are better things to spend energy and money on - energy and money are two that spring to mind for the immediate future! As well as all of those lovely infrastructure projects to keep engineers like me busy for the next 20 years until I retire and become a grey nomad.

I think that when a citizen of Aus or UK needs a visa to live or work in the Aus and the UK why do we have a figure head from Uk. If we had free passage to and fro then fine but we do not. Also indexed pensions are paid to British people in USA and not here and Canada so why bother being part of it at all USA is treat better than us what a laugh.

Cut the ties they are cut anyway its a formality. Only problem I have with the republic cannot think of a person who would be the figure head

Guest guest30038
<snip> Only problem I have with the republic cannot think of a person who would be the figure head

Leo Sayer or Ben Elton? :biglaugh:

kev

The majority of the Republican movement are people with an Irish Catholic background. There are still Catholic Prostestant divisions here. It's very subtle in most places but just watch a sports competition between a Catholic and a state school. Brutal stuff!!

Sorry Bendigo it used to be the case a long while ago but I never notice any religious rivalry its just ordinary rivalry with schools. My children went to a catholic primary school for a couple of years, then a state one then went to an interdenominational christian high school and no there was nothing going on.

It is here in Bendigo. A very close friend was not allowed to let me into the family home because i was a Pom. ( They were staunch Irish stock who wanted a Republic.) This was 10 years ago!! I've had to tell people here i was Welsh otherwise i was in deep doo doo! I've been in pubs with IRA members on holiday from "The Troubles" and warned not to speak. I didn't!!

I could go on but i will probably be shot!!

Archived