Schools in north east Adelaide

Guest Helen Dominish

Guest Helen Dominish

Does anybody have experience with Modbury High, Golden Grove High or Torrens Valley High school We plan to live near the O'Bahn so were considering these for my 15 year old boy who will be in Year 11 next year. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest just jo

Hi Helen

I've got experience of Modbury High and Golden Grove. I'm not sure about Torrens Valley, I think its a private school and it has a great reputation but I don't know it personally. friends of ours looked there for their daughter and came away quite impressed.

If you need the website, have a look here,

Torrens Valley Christian School

Now this is my personal experience of Modbury High, I'm sure there are lots of students and parents who have been very happy with it but I could not in my heart of hearts recommend it to anyone. When we first moved here we lived in Modbury North, My daughters went to Modbury West and my eldest was accepted to Modbury High, a decision we made on the basis of she'd made some nice friends and they were all going and we didn't want to upset of transferring her somewhere else where she would have to start again. When we visited the school, my husband wasn't very impressed with the facilities. One the first day of year 8 she was picked on and this continued until July of the same year. I spent more time at that school than i did in my own home while she begged me not to go in any more because it made it worse, instead of dealing with the child involved, they seperated my daughter at recess and lunch, putting her in the gym while the bully walked around scott free. We then started getting threatening emails which i duly printed off and took to the school, when she was confronted with actual evidence of her behaviour she said someone had hacked her account and done it. The school did nothing. Eventually i had to threaten them with the police and the media and some internal suspensions were handed out. We went back after the July break and it started again. I removed her from the school and the principal really couldn't have cared less. We went to Kings Baptist at Wynn Vale which has been brilliant. However many of her friends are still there and are doing OK.

Now I cannot speak highly enough of Golden Grove, my middle daughter goes there and started year 8 this year. The teachers are good, they ring immediately there is any problem, luckily she is a very popular girl and has settled well. The sports curriculum is great and I'm happy with the standard of homework handed out. Its not my zoned school and I had to appeal to get in but I feel it was worth it. They went on a get to know you camp at the begginning of year 8 and today she has gone to the beach to play in the school beach volleyball team. She is also doing special interest netball next year and they have a pathway to the State sides for sports. There are quite a few english kids there and all the kids i've met from the school have been well mannered and nice. There was an incident last year when a child stabbed anther child in the leg but this had been an issue going on many years the stabbed child bullying the other and the other child felt this was his only way out. There is trouble at all High Schools whereever you live and I don't feel this should be enough to put you off.

Golden Grove High School - Entrance to our site

You don't say where near the O'Bhann you are looking to live but I'm guessing Modbury way. I would also consider The Heights School at Modbury Heights

The Heights [about]. you can get a bus from Tea Tree Plaza to the school.

i would also suggest Charles Campbell at Paradise which is on the O'Bhann route to the City, Its an excellent SChool and there are some scholarships available also

Charles Campbell Secondary School Online Portal

Really out of the three schools I would recommend Golden Grove but it can be difficult to get into if you are not in the catchment. However if you are coming part way through the year, you probably would get in. Just tell them you will be buying in the Golden Grove area but having to rent somewhere else for a while.

hope that helps.

Jo

Guest just jo

Here is the Poms In Adelaide website

PomsInAdelaide

I go on there as well. There are a lot of us in the North East suburbs and its probably a more relevent site to Adelaide than this one. We've also been around a lot longer. I'm Salisbury Massive on POA, there has been a lot of questions about schools on there, just search my user name, I did a massive post a while back about schools then. Incidently I think your son will go into year 10 not year 11. . My 16 year old is in year 10 at the moment and my daughter who is 15 next year will move up to year 9. Don't forget we are half a year behind here, sometimes it helps the older kids to go back a year and redo some of the work, helps them to settle in easier and also it can make things difficult with going to Uni and TAFE if they are younger than their peers. Would be worth checking

Jo

Just wanted to add - got a couple of friends whose kids go to Modbury High and they rave about it, so I guess it's just a matter of what suits one may or may not suit another. Incidentally, the head teacher of Modbury High died recently unexpectedly (of a heart attack in her mid 50s) so it's worth visiting just to see what you think of the new head: often a change at the top can have a dramatic effect on a school's policies. If you're considering private, there are also other schools around - two that spring to mind are Pedare College and Gleeson, both of which share a campus with Golden Grove High so have wide choice of facilities. Haven't heard wonderful things about Modbury Heights, but don't know anyone who goes there at the moment, so again, worth checking for yourself.

If your son is particularly musical or sporty, that may influence the school that will suit him best. I think Jo is correct by the way in the year your son will go into - my 15 year old daughter is currently in Year 9, goes up to Year 10 in Jan/Feb 2010.

Guest just jo
Just wanted to add - got a couple of friends whose kids go to Modbury High and they rave about it, so I guess it's just a matter of what suits one may or may not suit another.

Or whether you child is continually bullied for 8 months or isn't :wink:

Personal experience was asked for

Just wanted to add - got a couple of friends whose kids go to Modbury High and they rave about it, so I guess it's just a matter of what suits one may or may not suit another.

Or whether you child is continually bullied for 8 months or isn't :wink:

Personal experience was asked for

Fair enough Jo, but I do have a friend whose son was badly bullied at two other schools, went to Modbury High and absolutely bloomed, clicked with the teachers, was motivated and protected, so I was speaking from their experience and my knowledge of their son. The head teacher has also changed there recently, so as I said, worth keeping an open mind and checking things out personally.

Diane

Archived