Tra Assessment questions?

miguelrg

Hey guys,

sorry for another boring thread, i've been thinking about lodging my TRA assessment without having to do my trade assessment and try save some cash,

does anybody have advice on how strong the case has to be and how to prepare it?

As it stand i'v been a men's hairdressers 5 1/2 years,

I have had 450 ish hours in a hairdressing college but doing a barber course, but i've had 5 months full time work formal training as an apprentice with my first employer.

Since then i have worked in shops with names like *** men's hair or hairressing for men etc so i'm still seen as a hairdresser right?

Also i can get statements off all my employees and get them say i was a hairdresser or stylist

What do you guys think? worth a shot?

Hi miguel,

I've been watching your posts on PIO for a while as you seem to be in a similar position to my OH. You have been hopping back and forth for months deciding which is the best option, as have we. I know its so difficult. He is a barber although holds NVQ2 Hairdressing. We were toying with the idea of going down pathway e, but the cost involved was so much at the moment we couldn't get together that type of money, so we have decided to try and go down pathway b/c, we think either may apply, and ultimately this cost us just short of £200 so thought it was a risk worth taking!!. If we are not succesful with this then due to all the changes forcast in the immigration pipeline we will then wait and see how those changes may affect our position. We have already submitted the application to the TRA and are now waiting on them to process it.

The OH is still employed with the barber with whom he did his apprenticeship (informal) Our application included an employer reference detailing dates when he commenced employment as an apprentice, dates of attendance at college, hours of work at the barber shop, hours per week studying at college. It also detailed all the other general stuff regarding his day to day duties of his job. We too are hoping that the combination of college training and employer training will suffice for the training hours required. Will let you know the outcome.

If you've not done so already I would have alook at the threads regarding the changes to the immigration system, the two sticky threads at the top of the migration issues forum are good, and there are a few references about as to what may/may not happen with hairdressing, although obviously nobody can say for sure whats going to change and how it will affect individuals, its just a waiting game.

Sarah

Hey sarah,

Just thought about it and would it matter if it was taken off the modl as it would still be on the SOL?

Also i reckon your OH has a better chance than me because of having his nvq in hairdressing where as mine is in barbering, it's shocking that they haven't recogized barbering as a skilled trade!

So do you think i should get all my information, references etc together and just give it a shot? it seems the only way without forking out for a trade test i might not even pass for 1500 pounds

Hi Miguel,

I cant say whether or not you should "go for it", what we did was look at the ASCO for hairdressing

1220.0 - Australian Standard Classification of Occupations (ASCO) Second Edition, 1997

and at the structure of the australian AQF III course

Certificate III in Hairdressing: Course Guide

and from there decided how close we were to the criterion required of an aussie hairdresser. I am none too sure if whether or not you can do womens hair is an issue. I presume as long as you can prove you have received training and passed units which cover for example, cutting, colouring, perming etc etc, i presume it doesn't matter whether you perform those units on males or females just so long as you do them?? Not 100% about that though!!

Did your units in barbering inlude any sort of colouring/perming? I know that my OH's hairdressing units were very tailored and included mostly barbering units, however he did do a colouring unit but no perming, so this may put us at a disadvantage.

When you talk about whether or not it matters if hairdressing comes off the MODL, it is entirely dependant upon which visa you are looking at, for example in our situation, if before we lodge a visa it is removed from the list then we wouldn't get enough points to qualify for the 175, however if we got state sponsorship then even if removed from the MODL we would still qualify. (All this obviously relying on the fact that nothing else changes!! for example i have read that they can change the pass mark for any particular visa at any time) In terms of other visa categories I am unsure what effect it may have, as it is only the PR visa we are looking at at present.

Hope this sort of helps

Sarah

Guest tomatohead

i dont want to pee on your parade here miguel but the closure of pathway D now means unless you have formal qualifications in hairdressing/barber ie an apprenticeship or you have passed the AQF 111 in hairdressing/barber the TRA will not even look at your application never mind decide to ok it and they will keep your $ 300 fee , befrore pathway D closed you could have gathered all your references and any other qualifications ie NVQ and applied , i did the fibrous plasterer AQF 111 with ATA and it was a doddle

tom

From what I can gather miguel does have an NVQ in barbering?

Is the issue whether or not this NVQ was done as part of the apprenticeship? ie was the college training done at the same time as being employed as an apprentice. This was the case with my OH, his employer employed him as an apprentice barber, trained him, whilst at the same time he attended college for formal training and to gain his certificates.

The TRA UAC (uniform assessment criteria) do state that the hours of formal training must be "inclusive of employment" which can be taken in a number of ways. To me it could mean either that the formal training must have been done at the same time as working or that the 900 hours may include training by employer. Can anyone confirm what this actually means?

Guest tomatohead

gollywobbler would have to confirm this but if your oh has formal qualifications he would qualify to go through pathway A so wouldnt need the trade assessment as well , pathway E is the way i went i have 30 yrs experience in my trade and i did the NVQ totally seperate from my employment as i wasnt working at the time this then qualified me to do the trade assessment the 900 hrs is if you work it out 5 yrs of day release so an apprenticeship

hey guys, thanks for the replys, yes i do have a nvq in barbering level 2, i also worked in one place while completing this course, i also attended college for 8 months at start of my career but didn't finish the course but that got my lot's of hours but i doubt that would count.

Have you rang many agents? They would definitly be better placed to assess whether you have a strong enough case to think of applying. This might be a good idea for you at least then you should be pointed in the right direction. Their initial phone call is usually free. Ring a number of them and see if they agree with each other regarding what your best option would be. Maybe get some quotes off them for help with just the TRA application initially, thats if they think this is a viable pathway for you.

I was reading an article on Go Matilda about the TRA

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

They seem very clued up on this and everybody on here who have used them seem to have nothing but praise for them. Maybe try giving these a ring as your first port of call. There is phone number on this link, looks like the agent who deals primarily with TRA pathway B applications.

Archived