Leaving your employer while on a 857 visa

Guest Engine Ear

This might sound harsh but I am jetlagged and am totally out of empathy with anyone (sorry - really dont mean to upset anyone!), however I do think it's important for people emigrating to Oz to know that there is very much a "work hard, play hard" ethic here. My boyfriend regularly works 16hr days with no overtime paid, a regular day for him would be 12 hours at the office 5 days a week with the occasional weekend day spent at work. I know a number of other people who do the same, it's just part of what seems to be expected in Sydney.

I don't know anything about the 857 visa or whether you could transfer to another employer, I just want to say good luck and that if/once you have citizenship you're free to work for whoever you like, so should get better!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mthura82
Hi Engine Ear, I was in same predicament very recently. I left my sponsor before the two years are up. DIAC have decided to let me stay a permanent resident. I did not use an agent to represent me and the process was quite painless albeit quite nerve rattling. Please message me if you'd like more details. V.

how can i contact u?

• 10 months later...
Guest machined

Interesting topic. Just wanted to share som thoughts as well, a mate of mine left the company on 857 PR visa and no issues. So long as the company wo'nt oppose the move it should be okay to go.

Guest jacob88
This might sound harsh but I am jetlagged and am totally out of empathy with anyone (sorry - really dont mean to upset anyone!), however I do think it's important for people emigrating to Oz to know that there is very much a "work hard, play hard" ethic here. My boyfriend regularly works 16hr days with no overtime paid, a regular day for him would be 12 hours at the office 5 days a week with the occasional weekend day spent at work. I know a number of other people who do the same, it's just part of what seems to be expected in Sydney.

I don't know anything about the 857 visa or whether you could transfer to another employer, I just want to say good luck and that if/once you have citizenship you're free to work for whoever you like, so should get better!

Well, we (857 visa applicants) dont really have to work 16hrs aday with no overtime paid because according to the pay scale, it explained overtime paid, break, full time working hours for every single awards (cooks, landscapegardener, or all occ). And the employer must agree b4 they decided to sponsor us.. we aint slave but we cant lazy in any industry. So, as long as we (857 applicants) dont breach the legislation from the payscale, we do not have to worry to find other jobs. And we (most 857 applicants) work bloody harder than citizen for sure because if citizen is doing same ways as us, obviously auzi gov do not have to care skill workers from overseas!

• 4 months later...
Hi Engine Ear, I was in same predicament very recently. I left my sponsor before the two years are up. DIAC have decided to let me stay a permanent resident. I did not use an agent to represent me and the process was quite painless albeit quite nerve rattling. Please message me if you'd like more details. V.

Hi Vagabond,

i am also having issues with my employer i m on subclass 119 since more than 7 months and working for this employer.. but there are many issues which are affecting me and not wanna work in the company.. i was wondering if u could share what was ur problems and how did u resolve the issue with the DIAC? wanna know the process ?

i tried calling DIAC but everytime i call i get a different answer.. i just wanna know what u did coz u were successful retaining ur visa....

plz reply ,

thanx.

• 5 months later...

Hi. How did this all turn out for you? I am going through exactly the same situation and am terrified if I leave my current employer, my visa will be cancelled. My whole life is here now, plus I have a mortgage and am getting married next year.

Can you please provide more details?

k

Hi. How did this all turn out for you? I am going through exactly the same situation and am terrified if I leave my current employer, my visa will be cancelled. My whole life is here now, plus I have a mortgage and am getting married next year.

This is an old thread and there was no response when somebody followed up in February so there probably won't be now either. I would suggest you start your own thread and post your own story briefly if you want some advice. I am going to close this thread now, it is always better to start a new thread so people do not get distracted by the earlier stories.

Archived