Push to teach apprenticeships in school WA

cazmayo

Push to teach apprenticeships in school - The West Australian

The above link is to an article regarding a drop in apprenticeship in trades and due to a high number of apprentices being laid off, they are looking at alternatives to meet their training requirements. They are going to provide training in a classroom environment but charge for this!

Here in Ireland you have a combination of college and on the job training, they get paid while on the job an apprentice wage, and they dont have to pay to go to FAS which is the training college.

Hmmmm think they will have a shortage of trades if that goes ahead. No substitute for on the job training if you ask me.

cheers caz

Probably right, and I would not be confident of the education department at high school level being able to manage apprenticeship programme, but I have no issues with a bit of formal technical training before getting hands dirty.... but better being paid to stay out of school and continue training in the real world...

But, beware, this happened with nursing which used to be all hospital based, but universities (poached) took on reponsibility teaching more theoretical degrees (and govt. grants that go with it), but have been problems ever since providing internships and hands on training....and expense....but has kept university health faculty staff employed....

The other issue is anyway, most Oz parents push their kids to university to study any old degree which is another reason for skill shortages.....

Hi,

My hubbie is a carpenter of 22 years, but in those days you trained under a master craftsman. However, he does wish he had the opportunities they have today, furniture design etc, though Im always telling him its never too late to learn new things. He has recently started with a bigger company and had to learn a computerised package for making cabinets (cabinetvision), he was given training.

I think a combination of college and on the job training is the way to go, was just amused they propose to charge these students. Here in Ireland the training body (FAS) spent 1 billion on training at a time we had nearly full employment!!!

Not so soft in Oz!

cheers caz

Archived