new future skills list

julie and gary

Hi all

I was woundering if anyone knew anything on this new future skills that is supposed to be coming out.

this was on the letter that we got from our agent.

"However, further changes are in the pipeline as DIAC have announced that they are currently undertaking a Migration Occupations in Demand List (MODL) review (further details of which can be found on the Visa Bureau blog). One potential outcome of the review could be the introduction of the Future Skills List; a new targeting mechanism which could replace both the MODL and the CSL as the tool used by DIAC to determine the priority of visa applications".

does anyone eles think this is looking promising for us.

we are on 175 which we submitted in Aug 08

we where advised by out agents back in April to change to state sponser, well I cannot tell you enough Im so glad that we chose to ignor this advise given the more recent changes.:jiggy:

Hi,

Not sure what the new future skills list will have on it, and what occupation you are, but I dont see how not having state sponsorship would help. Surely that could only increase your chances of being processed sooner? It wouldnt put you down the priority list I wouldnt have thought?

If you were on the CSL at present, and had SS, then you'd be one of the highest priorities- category 2. If you werent on the CSL, and didnt have SS, then you'd be looking at 2012, so SS could only have moved you up.

If a new FSL has your occupation on it, regardless of whether you have SS or not, your occupation would determine which processing category you would fall into, and then perhaps with SS, it would be higher priority.

I may be wrong, but you could ask your agent, I am sure they'd know better than most people.

Shaz

Hi,

Not sure what the new future skills list will have on it, and what occupation you are, but I dont see how not having state sponsorship would help. Surely that could only increase your chances of being processed sooner? It wouldnt put you down the priority list I wouldnt have thought?

If you were on the CSL at present, and had SS, then you'd be one of the highest priorities- category 2. If you werent on the CSL, and didnt have SS, then you'd be looking at 2012, so SS could only have moved you up.

If a new FSL has your occupation on it, regardless of whether you have SS or not, your occupation would determine which processing category you would fall into, and then perhaps with SS, it would be higher priority.

I may be wrong, but you could ask your agent, I am sure they'd know better than most people.

Shaz

Hi

People moved over to state sponser thinking that there visa would be processed sooned, but now the new changes have happened it looks like its going to take just as long as what the 175 are going to take.

The people who have now changed over are as well even more out of pocket and it has not benefited them anymore.

there are so many cases on here where pepole are selling up an moving over and are then having to move back home as they where unable to find work and all there money has now gone.

Im not too botherd with having to wait that bit longer if it means being more stable when I arrive.

Hi,

I believe moving to SS has helped a lot of people get visa's sooner than expected, as otherwise they'd just have been on the MODL and looking at years for a visa. I know of quite a few people on here that would still be waiting if they hadnt have gotten SS. More recently, since 23 Sept, if you have SS and CSL, you move up the priority list, and if not CSL, you'd still be cat 5 with SS rather than be at the bottom of the pile, waiting til at least 2012. Personally, I'd go for it as a fallback if you can get it for the state you are planning to go to anyway.

Suppose going forward it all depends on the new FSL as to what the priorities will be for those still waiting, but I didnt think states charged for SS, and my agent only charged a small fee to submit an application so there would've been no harm in getting it. I suppose those going for SS are doing it for a bit more certainty over where they stand priority wise, currently just below CSL, and they're getting through them very quickly at the moment, leaving SS's next in line.

Yeah, I know what you mean about going over with no job to go to. I feel the same way, but wanted the visa in my hand as soon as possible, then will decide to go when the job market picks up, house prices improve, and exchange rates are better. Better the decision on when to go is in your court.

Good luck in whatever you decide, I hope the new FSL is favourable for you.

Cheers

Shaz

Hi,

I applied for my 175 in Dec 08, with Bricklayer being on the CSL. With the changes in March I changed to 176 state sponsored from SA. I got my visa 4/9 and we are fliying out March 2010. If I hadn't got the state sponsorship I would be waiting until the end of 2012 at the earliest and would definitley have given up as I wouldn't want to put my family's life in limbo for 3 more years. SA sponsorship didn't cost a penny. My advice is go for SS, as it's in the same category as the 175 it has no extra cost and will get you there quicker.

Damo

can anyone tell me if NSW does SS. I'm a hairdresser/lectutor and my husband is a fibre optics/electronics engineer, we have applied for 175 visa in my name but it looks like we should have tried my husband first.

Guest wanderer

j&g,

Hi all

I was woundering if anyone knew anything on this new future skills that is supposed to be coming out.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/modl-review/_pdf/issues2.pdf is the second of two papers issued and typically a lot of bureaucratic repeating gobblegook that does not say a real lot.

Regardless of what the bureaucrats say, I expect that the minister will be saying and what will be the mechanism of slowing the conveyor belt if we have to?

One answer to that is maintaining the focus on employer sponsorships but that is possibly wishful thinking as employers want to minimise their risks too in worse economic times.

There is supposed to be an announcement this month but I would not be too surprised to find it is delayed - they may even be reviewing their review and that may be better than making too many changes to something that more or less works and will better as controls are tightened.

The alternative could be a real messy dogs breakfast scene.

Archived