My IELTS advice

mr luvpants

We had called off our move to oz when the IELTS requirement came in for Nurses. We had seen so many fail the test and so we decided that Lisa did not need that sort of pressure. However after a bit of deliberation we decided that she would have 3 tries and then we would reassess.

Google "IELTS PRACTICE TESTS" and "IELTS BLOG".As I am the more academic one of us (her words not mine) I deliberately chose the harder practice tests for my wife. I was also really critical on her spelling and essay format to the point where we had a few arguments!

We did 30 mins every day. If the practice test says "take 30 mins" then set the clock for 25 mins so that you have to work hard and the real test will be less stressful. My wife found that in the real test she had time to check all her answers at the end.

However it all paid off. I expected her to get in the car after the test and say "I hope I never have to do that again" but she got in the car and said " that wasn't that bad and if I have to do it again it wont be a problem". It was even better when she got her results and she had passed first time.

Hope that helps someone.

JOHN

Congratulations to your wife on passing. May I ask after all the practice tests what did she score??? It's just that I have to take the test on 24th Oct and need to get at least 7 in all four areas.

Thanks Jules

Hi. well done on passing the test! Im a nurse too, and im hoping to end up in Queensland with my girlfriend and dog. I havnt really started any of the application processes yet, but aim to do the IELT around March next year, before I apply for ANMC registration/skills assessment. Ive looked at sample tests on line, and ive really struggled with them. I also bought a book with sample tests, and find the book really hard to follow. I guess March is a while away yet....and there's plenty of time to get my head around the test format.

Well done on passing the test Lisa, and good luck to you both on your move. Oh, and thanks for the test advice!

hi

Lisa got listening 8.5, speaking 9, Reading 7.5 and writing 7.

I found the IELTS book form the IELTS centre not enough. Have a look at those websites and you will find tutorials. Also go on to youtube and there are LOADS if vids there. Little and often is the key. If you are tired and had a hard shift, just say to yourself " i practice now or I will have to practice more later if I fail".

JOHN

Archived