back in the uk six weeks

20yrspommie

Hi all

Finally getting round to a quick update after six weeks back in the UK.

We arrived back in August and our dog came a couple if days later a bit worse for wear after the flight but she soon recovered after a quick swim in the North Sea!!.

It hasnt been the easiest six weeks as we are living with my parents and after 20 years away that has its challenges and we have had plenty of challenges in getting things organised. We couldnt get a credit card or mobile phone plan as even though we had kept our bank account open for all that time we were in Australia that wasnt enough but after much persistance and changing banks we are finally getting some help.

The weather has been great lost of sunny days and as we are in rural leicestershire its very pretty. Our son has settled into school really well and finds it all highly amusing about being asked about his pet kangaroos. Its great to be with the family and they have been really helpful but I do miss my friends in Oz and keeping in touch has been hard as we dont really have good internet access. I do miss my old life as at the moment we are in a transitionary life but this is to be expected and once we get somewhere to live I am sure we will feel more settled. I do find people quite negative when you tell them you have returned from Australia and on a good day I can laugh but when I have felt fed up I find myself thinking maybe they are right and what have we come back for.

Its very early days and I am an optimistic person and we are here now and determined to make the best of it , I did expect to feel like this but I am still glad we are here .

I will keep you updated as to how we go from here onwards, still waiting to hear about the shipment but I am hoping it will arrive soon fingers crossed

Hi all

We arrived back in August and our dog came a couple if days later a bit worse for wear after the flight but she soon recovered after a quick swim in the North Sea!!.

It hasnt been the easiest six weeks as we are living with my parents and after 20 years away that has its challenges and we have had plenty of challenges in getting things organised. We couldnt get a credit card or mobile phone plan as even though we had kept our bank account open for all that time we were in Australia that wasnt enough but after much persistance and changing banks we are finally getting some help.

The weather has been great lost of sunny days and as we are in rural leicestershire its very pretty. Our son has settled into school really well and finds it all highly amusing about being asked about his pet kangaroos. Its great to be with the family and they have been really helpful but I do miss my friends in Oz and keeping in touch has been hard as we dont really have good internet access. I do miss my old life as at the moment we are in a transitionary life but this is to be expected and once we get somewhere to live I am sure we will feel more settled. I do find people quite negative when you tell them you have returned from Australia and on a good day I can laugh but when I have felt fed up I find myself thinking maybe they are right and what have we come back for.

Its very early days and I am an optimistic person and we are here now and determined to make the best of it , I did expect to feel like this but I am still glad we are here .

I will keep you updated as to how we go from here onwards, still waiting to hear about the shipment but I am hoping it will arrive soon fingers crossed

Wecome home.

We only Stayed in Aus for just over a year. Been back nearly 18 months now and just feel we are getting back on our feet. Don't under estimate how hard this will be for you, it's tough after 1 year away so twenty year you have some work to do. I hope you don't regret it as this is a great country still but it down to you to make it work.

Good Luck John

Guest proud2beaussie

Thanks for the update,

I hope things work out well for you,you took a brave decision to return after a long time in Australia and you should be congratulated for taking that decision.

I wish you the best of luck for the future,please continue to update us on how it goes.

Good luck.

Guest cazbeckham

I agree with Nigel in that you need to be congratulated for making the decision to return to the UK after 20 years.

I have only been here a year and I know I will never go back to the UK ever........... I miss my Son soooo much but I know he can come out here for wonderful holidays.

I just wish I came out here earlier in my life but it wasn't to be then.

Good Luck and enjoy the UK again and I am sure if that is where you want to be now you will nake it work.

Caz

Good to get an update - of course it will be difficult to begin with - especially living with your olds! But you know how hard it was here and you werent happy so take your time and enjoy the feeling - and get away from the olds!!!!! Remember that folk coming in the opposite direction also have those OMG moments and everyone tells them that it will get better - same goes for a move anywhere in the world IMHO! Have fun!

Guest JoanneHattersley

Good on ya and welcome back to UK.

Remember it is a brave thing to up and move to oz but a braver thing to admit it wasnt right for you and go back.

Hi all

I will keep you updated as to how we go from here onwards, still waiting to hear about the shipment but I am hoping it will arrive soon fingers crossed[/Q

Early days ......she"ll be right !

• 2 weeks later...

HI

We used Dogtainers to transport our Dog (golden Retreiver) cost 3410.00 and we had to pick her up from heathrow. she didnt travel on the same flight as us we came three days earlier as she had to do vet checks and they only used certain airlines and days due to what days customs were open in Oz and UK. We pet the pet passport scheme which you need to start about 7 months before you travel. She was a bit worse for wear after the flight and they said you probablly wont want to collect her blanket !! but a couple of days later she ws fine and bouncing around as normal and has been fine ever since she is nearly seven years old.

Hope that helps

Archived