Spanner in the works..... IELTS or 'POOL' it...

Carlos fandango

ok ... I've been asking questions galore. I am waiting in the que for W.A. sponsership so then I could apply for a (non CSL) 176 visa......I asked....'Should I make an application for a 175 visa given the present climate with visa's'......... problem here is I only have 115 points and it seems I need 120 points.

So my thinking was take an IELTS english test get the extra points and apply for the visa then. Extra cost is involved (£105.00) but the hardest part is trying to get booked onto a course.

Now then, during reading up on the immi.gov.au website regarding elegability there is a paragraph that states....'If you score less than 120 points but more than 100 points your application will be placed in reserve (the 'pool') and will remain in the pool for two (2) years after assessment. If the pass mark is lowered at any time during the two (2) year period, and your score is equal to or higher than the new pass mark, your application will then be processed further.'

My thinking is ....apply for a 175 now with 115 points and get 'pooled'. Hopefully in the process of time receive my sponsership from W.A. which enables a score of 100 and ask under these circumstances to change my application to a 176 visa.

Is my thinking sound???.......(Q1) Would I be able to bring my application out of the 'pool' state with S.S. and continue with a 176 visa ????. (Q2)..If this is possible how easy is it to change visa's if say you applied online ????....

Suppose a sub-question here would be .....(Q3)..If I didnt get my S.S. would I be able to take an IELTS test and submit it towards my previously applied for 175 visa to bring it out of 'pooled' state given then I would have more than enough points ???????........

Has anyone reading had experience of this, can anyone offer their advise ?

Carlos

Carlos, we too have only got 110 points and are waiting for SS from WA (non CSL), instead of applying for a 175 visa and then changing we have just lodged the 176. I suppose we are relying on our SS being granted by the time when our visa gets processed - which by the way things are at the moment it definitely will. There's always a posibility that the SS will be declined but can't really see why and i'd rather take that chance than wait and have our occupation took off the MODL and then have no chance of getting in at all!

Not sure if you are supposed to do this however i'm sure other people have done this too who don't have enough points?

Becki

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Carlos

How many points you have is determined by your CO, not by you, and the CO does not work it out until the Time of Decision because the CO is not involved at tje Time of Application.

Having State sponsorship in place is a ToD criterion for a 176 visa, not a ToA criterion. Also, the subclass 175 and subclass 176 visas are both in Class VE. What this means is that at the ToD your CO must consider your eligibility for both visas. If you meet the criteria for both visas, the CO should grant the visa which is more advantageous to the applicant - which is the sc 175 because it is the only skilled visa which comes with absolutely no strings attached.

In your case, the first thing you should do is to read the posts by Jamie Smith in Page 4 onwards of this thread:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/70325-what-would-you-say-minister-immigration-really-4.html

In the last couple of hours (it being 18:30 UK time now) Jamie has published some hard information from DIAC together with the relevant stats.

What is your occupation, please? I think the most pertinent question for you right now is to work out the likelihood of being able to secure employer sponsorship if you want to be able to head for Oz any time soon.

Also, if you are a native English speaker (as defined) you can lodge a GSM application without an IELTS result. Be aware that IELTS results are only valid for 24 months. So if the timeline continues to drag - as now seems very likely - the chances are you would have to do it again later on.

Read Page 4 onwards of Jamie's thread and absorb that info before you try to make further decisions about anything else, I suggest.

Cheers

Gill

Many thanks Gill for your reply.

I am a Carpenter by trade (27yrs) wishing to live in W.A. ( Perth, or just north of). Not sure just how easy it would be, or how to go about, securing employer sponsership for my job, Any ideas........... I am a native speaking englishman, Yorkshire man born and bred !!

I mentioned in another thread that my partner had applied for a job position at a prison in W.A. but we are waiting for a reply from that. We just really want to cover all bases by way of having an application submitted, and then see if she gets the job or not.

Reading your kind reply Gill, am I correct in thinking that having applied for S.S.(but still waiting) I should make an application for a s/c176 visa anyway and that hopefully my S.S. would eventually come through continuing my 176 application and don't bother with an IELTS test because I wouldn't really need it.

Just gonna read Jamie Smiths post while you reply

Thanks

Carlos

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Carlos

27! How old is your wife and do you have any children? I am wondering whether you might be eligible for Working Holiday visas?

Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)

If by some happy chance you would be eligible for WH visas, potentially they can be used to secure 24 months in Oz.

If you are in Perth with a right to work, there is a reasonable chance that you could persuade an employer to nominate you for an immediate ENS 856 visa rather than face having to part with you after only 6 months.

Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 121/856)

Employer Sponsored Migration Booklet - Australian Immigration

Would you be able to get WH visas, please?

Cheers

Gill

Sorry Gill

Think you may have mis-understood. Been a carpenter for 27 years, My age is 43......

My partner is not my wife, we have been together two and a half years. She has 2 children (7 & 14) from her 1st marriage, who would be migrating with us.Amazingly we both had a desire to live in oz before we both met. We were planning on getting married in oz when we settled there.

By the looks of things this rules out a 417 visa due to age. So the 856 would not be applicable. As I mentioned my partner has applied for a prison officer job, for which we are still waiting. She is 45 at the end of this month so we are pretty eager to get a decision. Not sure if the 121 visa would apply to her with a government job. I have checked through all the job lists and can't seem to find a relevant title that fits her vocation. An employer sponsership looks a whole lot cheaper to do also !!!!!.

This is the reason for myself applying for a visa, my age still allows it, albeit with a shortage of points. Obviously employer sponsership for myself would be great, if I knew how to go about it, any ideas???..... again just to clarify...... can I apply for a 176 visa even though I am short on points with a view to my S.S. eventually being granted.

I also read the posts by Jamie Smith as you suggested...... fingers crossed the government decide Carpenters are a critical skill OZ cannot do without :wink:.

Hi Carlos,

Sorry for the late reply but yes you can apply for 176 without the SS and then just forward that on once you have it. It's very unlikely tht the visa will be processed before SS comes though so hopefully saves abit of time and least your application is in before anything else changes. I was worried that we'd be taken off the MODL (OH is a chef) so at least now we've applied we have the peace of mind that we should get in eventually whether it be 8 months or 3 years!! Don't bother the the ielts - we decided to give this a miss as even though we've english it's the the OH's forte!!!

Becki

Guest SO,DIZZY
Sorry Gill

Think you may have mis-understood. Been a carpenter for 27 years, My age is 43......

My partner is not my wife, we have been together two and a half years. She has 2 children (7 & 14) from her 1st marriage, who would be migrating with us.Amazingly we both had a desire to live in oz before we both met. We were planning on getting married in oz when we settled there.

By the looks of things this rules out a 417 visa due to age. So the 856 would not be applicable. As I mentioned my partner has applied for a prison officer job, for which we are still waiting. She is 45 at the end of this month so we are pretty eager to get a decision. Not sure if the 121 visa would apply to her with a government job. I have checked through all the job lists and can't seem to find a relevant title that fits her vocation. An employer sponsership looks a whole lot cheaper to do also !!!!!.

This is the reason for myself applying for a visa, my age still allows it, albeit with a shortage of points. Obviously employer sponsership for myself would be great, if I knew how to go about it, any ideas???..... again just to clarify...... can I apply for a 176 visa even though I am short on points with a view to my S.S. eventually being granted.

I also read the posts by Jamie Smith as you suggested...... fingers crossed the government decide Carpenters are a critical skill OZ cannot do without :wink:.

the best way to go about this is to get your trade assesment done, which will be a pre requisit to applying for state sponsership which you should do when you have done your tra when you have done this you should apply for 176 visa..

you will not have the required points for a 175 visa as your over forty

theres no shortcut to this im afraid you could apply for your visa but without the desired points from your ss it would be a waste of time.. you could also opt for the eilts test but if you are not academic the chances are you could still fail this.. most 176 visa's are only being processed at the moment so the 176 route is your best bet..

hope this helps..

regards dizz:biggrin:

Thanks for your replys guys.

Thats the beauty of this forum, many, many different people in the same boat or having been in the boat with a plethora of information.

I am getting ready to make a 176 application, still in the process of getting relevent paperwork together, cant believe how much there is. Through answers I got from another post it seems that its not absolutely necessary to have all paperwork ready when you make your initial application, which is just as well !!.

As I've also mentioned my OH has applied for a job in W.A. so I was holding off applying for my 176 until we got a reply regarding this, fingers crossed its soon !!!!!!!!!.

Cheers

Carlos

Guest SaffaAndPom

I think you might have made your plan already, but just another view/comment to throw into the mix.

When I applied for my visa at the start of the year, I did the EILTS test even though I had 120 points, I figured anything that helps or at least doesn't hinder is a good thing. To my mind that was an easy way I could control some points - at the time I wished I could 'buy' the rest of the points as easily lol

If you google you can find example tests online, just be sure you are looking at the normal tests not the academic tests as the ones for academics are harder. There are no tricks to the tests and a bit of good old fashioned homework will stand you in good stead. There were a complete mix of people and quite a few trades people sitting the test, chatting to some people I found that they, rather begrudgingly it has to be said :-) were doing it to top-up their points.

Best of luck for your plans,

Thanks for your thoughts SaffaAndPom

I understand what your saying, and it isn't that I'm scared of doing the tests, (think I'm pretty clever) its just that if there isn't a need to actually do the test, (as well as pay for it) and still be able to put an application in all the better.

The replies I've received seem to suggest that even though I haven't got enough points I can still make an application for a 176 visa with the view that when I receive my W.A. sponsership that will change the points I need. The thinking is that with the speed visa's are moving at now I should easily have my sponsership before someone starts looking at my application........... hope so anyway !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....

Guest SaffaAndPom
Thanks for your thoughts SaffaAndPom

I understand what your saying, and it isn't that I'm scared of doing the tests,

Oops sorry I didn't mean to imply that you were, but that is kind of how my post reads isn't it.

I try to do everything I can to maximise the chance of success, I also likely went way over the top with references etc. But then I worried about all possibilities - like the application being wrong and having to re-submit, but which time I'll be in a different age group with less points.....

You seem totally chilled out about it, other than meds and uk police check - I had everything and extra in place - signed, sealed, duplicated and backed up before I submitted :spinny:

Guest VickyMel

The replies I've received seem to suggest that even though I haven't got enough points I can still make an application for a 176 visa with the view that when I receive my W.A. sponsership that will change the points I need. The thinking is that with the speed visa's are moving at now I should easily have my sponsership before someone starts looking at my application........... hope so anyway !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....

Hi Carlos Fandango

It seems to me that you are sorted and might just as well avoid the IELTS and wait SS.

But just in case anything changes and you or anyone else reading the thread is after IELTS quickly one thing to consider is the Academic IELTS rather than general IELTS as there used to be more places available and often at an earlier date.

VickyMel

No offence taken SaffaAndPom really......as for laid back..mmmmm.....cant believe the amount of paperwork you have to sort out.......... had to do it when I took my skills test (about 60 sheets) ,had to do it for the W.A. sponsership and now having to sort as much again for the visa application. I too like to be organised, having it all together first, but the amount of papers, plus the fact of having to get them all signed and there only being 24 hours in a day.........just seems to take forever........so thats why I asked about being able to put an application in, with a view to uploading further paperwork as and when it got completed.

Archived