Motorbike from the UK

Guest spides

I had a spill and claimed my Schubert lid in the claim, and first of all it was declined (they dont even sell them here in Aus) after sending an internet link to the website, they paid out the $500.00 I was covered for.

You can also buy compliance stickers at most bike fairs where the Bandito's or Rebels are present. Not totally legal, but if its for a Shoei or AGV or whatever, its complaint anyway, just not bought here.

The police very rarely look for compliance stickers. I have only ever heard of one case of somebody having problems because of no compliance sticker, and that was a new rider, that hated the stickers on his lid, and took them off his new helmet before he went for his bike test :biglaugh:

As for your bike, If you are prepared to hold on to it for a few years, you might want to look into bringing it. They are not cheap here, and you might lose a fair bit in the UK selling it. Do your homeowrk, and check out what you would get in the UK, what another one would cost in Oz, and add about $1500/2000 for tests/shipping/plates/compliancy etc and then make a decision.

BTW, I think the superduke is a GORGEOUS bike. I am actually seriously thinking about getting the KTM 990 Adventure as a second bike for the more serious interstate riding.

Yep the Superduke is a gorgeous bike. it does every thing i ever wanted from a bike, its quick and the handling is far far better than I dare push it. Only down side is pillion comfort (seat is a bit hard on the wife's bum, not much padding in either!) and nowhere to put luggage. Though i have toured spain/portugal twice on it for 2 weeks each time. I travel very light just a few t-shirts and a tent.

I'll probably still bring it over as I'm not planning on changing it. Maybe buy another bike over there for day to day commuting and some touring.

The Adventure is an awesome machine. Many Dakar victories will attest to that! Though a lot of people rate the BMW GS higher i'd prefer the KTM.

The Adventure is an awesome machine. Many Dakar victories will attest to that! Though a lot of people rate the BMW GS higher i'd prefer the KTM.

I do like the look of the BMW as well, and the write ups rate it about the best available at the moment, but a 6month plus waiting list over here puts me off. If I buy something like that, I want it yesterday :chatterbox:

I still need permission from the finance comittee to buy another steed anyway, so it might be middle of next year before I contemplate it more seriously.

• 4 weeks later...

Just my two bobs worth. If your friend's coming for a year only, I'd leave the bike at home. Mates have brought bikes over and they were stuck at the wharf for 2 months! That'd be a blow in a one year trip. Tell him to check out auction websites too, cos you often get good deals there if he's not too fussy (Jupps, Fowles here in melbourne). Autumn's the best time to buy but worst time to sell. There's plenty of places to hire bikes if he'd only use it in spells - I know Garners in melbourne used to allow one-way trips if you wanted to head up north. For what he'd spend on shipping I doubt its worth it. I know plenty that have taken racebikes either way but some of them had custom issues too.

Hi,

I have a friend of mine who is coming over from the UK and wants to travel around on his Motorcycle while he's here. He's coming over for a year and is going to ship his Bike over.

He'll have to register this of course with Queensland Transport, get different plates etc. Now is this expensive and easy to do? I guess he can ride here on his Bike license for a year similar to a car license?

Anyone else done this? Thanks

IT can be done, check here Customs home page

and

Importing Vehicles to Australia

It can be a temporary import if it is going to be re-exported or a pesonal import if it is his bike, and he lived in the UK for more than ... I think it is 2 years?...and so it is considered his personal effect. Exaclty the same for a car.

In order to get a registration, you have to get a number plate from the local RTA or similar. For that it has to have a compliance plate.

Try this mob Motorcycle Roadworthys - Queensland Mobile Bike Roadworthy Certificates - RWC

Archived