Motorbike from the UK

Guest spides

Guest spides

Hi,

I have a friend of mine who is coming over from the UK and wants to travel around on his Motorcycle while he's here. He's coming over for a year and is going to ship his Bike over.

He'll have to register this of course with Queensland Transport, get different plates etc. Now is this expensive and easy to do? I guess he can ride here on his Bike license for a year similar to a car license?

Anyone else done this? Thanks

Guest proud2beaussie

I think you will find that it's not as easy as just bringing the motorcycle and registering it,even though it won't be "imported" as such I very much doubt whether they would allow the bike to be ridden on Asutralian roads without checking it first to ensure it complies with Australian ADR's ,I would think a call to the Department of Transport in Canberra would be the first step to take just to ask what the rules are regarding bringing vehicles into Australia on a temporary basis.

Department of Transport

GPO Box 1553

Canberra

ACT 2601

Fax: +61 6 274 6013

Tel: +61 6 274 7506

+61 6 274 7111

You could also call Queensland transport.Phone: 13 23 80

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/Registration/Motorbikes/

Whatever you find out please post the result here as it could be very useful to others who are interested in doing the same thing.

Guest wanderer

Carnet de Passage en Duane

We can bless de Frogs, Viva le France!

Who else would have thought of having a passport for a car?

Reeks of Foreign Legion days eh what ol fellas!

Eligibility Criteria and item # 7.

Guest proud2beaussie
Carnet de Passage en Duane

We can bless de Frogs, Viva le France!

Who else would have thought of having a passport for a car?

Reeks of Foreign Legion days eh what ol fellas!

Eligibility Criteria and item # 7.

Well there you go ! You learn something every day don't you ! Good work on finding that wanderer.:yes:

Wanderer your the man......:wink:

Personally I think it might be cheaper & much easier to buy one here that is registered on road, and maybe even some rego left, than going through the whole process of importing/roadworthy & compliance tests etc. and then paying to have it shipped back again.

If the bike has been modified it can also create problems getting through the compliance tests as well.

If he buys one here from a dealer, maybe he can sell it back for a couple of thousand less after a year back to the same dealer. That would be far cheaper in the long run.

Guest The Pom Queen
Personally I think it might be cheaper & much easier to buy one here that is registered on road, and maybe even some rego left, than going through the whole process of importing/roadworthy & compliance tests etc. and then paying to have it shipped back again.

If the bike has been modified it can also create problems getting through the compliance tests as well.

If he buys one here from a dealer, maybe he can sell it back for a couple of thousand less after a year back to the same dealer. That would be far cheaper in the long run.

I see your bike is kept cleaner than your car:tongue:

Guest The Pom Queen
the car is a HiLux. They are meant to be dented & covered in mud/sand. Just ask Jeremy Clarkson.

Exactly and that is why I will not let my hubby by a brand new one:biglaugh:

Guest chidge10

When I was in Oz i Sept 2008 I bumped into a couple who were on a Uk reg BMW who were touring Oz. They flew the bike to Sydney and had no problems at all. The bike had to travel on a different flight to them coz of the poxy terrorism thats going on nowadays.

hope this helps.

Chidge

Ps leaving my stead behind when I come out in April. GUTTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just looking into shipping my Triumph TT600 at the moment, assuming import permission is granted how difficult/expensive is it - bikes worth about £2000 here & to buy the same there 8000 dollars!

Heres a few for $6k plus. After some haggling, probably around $5500/$6000.

Used TRIUMPH TT600 Motorcycles For Sale - bikepoint.com.au

Yours is worth just under $4000 with todays exchange.

After shipping/cleaning/compliance/roadworthy/rego plates, not much in it.

If you are very attached or have spend much money on mods, might be worth bringing, but personally I dont think its worth it.

anything other than a new bike thats all shiny and out of the factory wont have an easy journey over here. we had to sell both of our bikes in the end on the advice of those over here in Vic. and it been confirmed by folk that have taken their bikes out of the country and tried to get them back in.

Not only all the paperwork prior to organising the shipping and the permision needed to import, but customs are going to have you big time. Then the insurance companies

Bikes appear more expensive over here, but the hold their value much more than they do in the uk.

The only knockback ive found with riding over here is that we get shafted with the insurance if were on our international licence and on a temp visa:mad:

By the way picked up my new Hornet today:jiggy:

Its crap on bikes here , I have a vt750 just a work horse , with plod and the truckies ( lookin to put you on the grille as a mascot) and the speeeed limits ,a nice toy is pointless cant get out of second gear lol. Like the new triumph thunderbird though much better then the tractors

Its crap on bikes here , I have a vt750 just a work horse , with plod and the truckies ( lookin to put you on the grille as a mascot) and the speeeed limits ,a nice toy is pointless cant get out of second gear lol. Like the new triumph thunderbird though much better then the tractors

LOL ive got so used to driving in the car at snail pace that when on the bike for the first time today i felt really naughty to be going over the speed limit, keeping an eye out for the plod and giggling to myself like a child cause i didnt have to wait in the cues:laugh:.

:eek:Im so not cool anymore

LOL ive got so used to driving in the car at snail pace that when on the bike for the first time today i felt really naughty to be going over the speed limit, keeping an eye out for the plod and giggling to myself like a child cause i didnt have to wait in the cues:laugh:.

:eek:Im so not cool anymore

Going on the freeway sure ive got white tyres ,talkin bout cant make your mind up spend nore time on the white line than in either lanes lol, the worst thing are the one s seein you comin and close the gap ( 9 out of the 10 they are woman b****)

Watch you don't get caught out with the helmet; they have to show a red tick sticker for compliance, even if you buy one here and then peel the sticker off you can get fined for it, so leave the helmet and get a new one over here.

i have that problem at the moment, I brought mine from the UK and I have seen the same model in the shops here but I have to buy a new one as mine has a british sticker on it, annoying!!! I looked at brinking my bike over and got some quotes, around a grand to ship it over and £2,500 to fly the bike over. I decided against it and it just so happened that someone reversed into my bike and wrote it off about a month before I moved out here, so all good for me!!!

Watch you don't get caught out with the helmet; they have to show a red tick sticker for compliance, even if you buy one here and then peel the sticker off you can get fined for it, so leave the helmet and get a new one over here.

Are the coppers really that bad over there? Was thinkin of buying a new helmet in UK next year then bringing it with me when we move over the following year. Was thinking of an Arai or Shoei, but doesn't seem any point spending all that money if it's useless when i get there.

Also thinking of shipping my bike as well, its an 08 KTM Superduke. What sort of price do they fetch second hand? Are there many KTM dealers?

It's not so much the coppers as the insurance agencies; you come off your bike and bash your head the first question they'll ask is "is your helmet complient to Australian Standards" Without that sticker it's not, consequently your various insurances won't pay out. Yes, they are that petty. Motorbike coppers may have a close look if they pull you over, I doubt if the regular beat police know the difference.

There's a KTM dealer in every large town and most of the smaller ones too, orange in a popular colour here, though probably due to the resurgance in 2-bangers that old katee are leading (my husband wanted to call our first child Katie Emma after his motorbike, luckily it's a boy and he'd not convinced me that Husk Varna is a proper name at all).

Euro bikes are more expensive here; my Aprilia is 13k here, 5K in the UK, the OH's 300EXC cost about 12k. Go to Bikesales.com.au and see what yours is worth for a comparison. Rego fees depend on whether it's a 1 or 2 seater in Queensland, don't know about other states.

Thanks for that. I assume the 13k Aprilia is AU$ and not £. If they are that expensive I'll def bring mine with me. The other thing is KTM's prices went up quite drastically (nearly 10%) this year due to the £/€ mess and the recession. Yeh my blood runs orange nowadays. Sad isn't it.

Sue Zuki is not too bad for a girl. Or how about Dewy Katty for the boy. I'm sure Husk is a swedish or danish!!

Archived